• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Zoology (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
I'm seriously thinking being a zoologist. Lol, I posted something inquiring Primary School Teaching before, but watching what those people do amazes me. Educating people, watching the animals grow up, learning about all those animals amazes me.

I'm in year 12 doing General Maths, St. English, Bio, Earth & Enviro science and other subjects irrelavent to this lol. They're basic subjects - I don't need chem or phys or more maths to do Zoology do I? And roughly what UAI will I need??

Cheers in advance :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I was considering becoming a zoologist in year 10 or so. Until I found out how high the cutoffs were. I did all those subjects that you mentioned and I got a uai of 69.15, I also did tourism in addition to the ones that you mentioned.

Bio and ees will defiantely come in helpful for a zoologist; as well as chemistry to some degree - i dunno why though, but most courses these days seem to have an emphasis on chem. Don't worry if you haven't done chem, if you get into the course, you can always do a bridging course to make up for it.

Had a quick look in UAC and theres no zoology courses, you'd be more looking towards a science course, probably majoring in something similar to zoology. Heres the link for you.

Zoology courses

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
dani_danoz said:
I'm seriously thinking being a zoologist. Lol, I posted something inquiring Primary School Teaching before, but watching what those people do amazes me. Educating people, watching the animals grow up, learning about all those animals amazes me.

I'm in year 12 doing General Maths, St. English, Bio, Earth & Enviro science and other subjects irrelavent to this lol. They're basic subjects - I don't need chem or phys or more maths to do Zoology do I? And roughly what UAI will I need??

Cheers in advance :)
Just get into any general B Science and major in Zoology (which is a specific area of Biology). So bascially you'll be doing all Biology subjects in second and third years.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Wow, thanks for your help people. I had no idea it was a major of a science degree.

Thankyou all so much! <3 :D

shaaali

HSC
i want to go zoology too!

shiiieee........

what ive been told is that its hard to get into, as it quite popular.

yosemite sam

HSC
i wanted to be a zookeeper and i told my careers advisor that and she said ''sam, you didn't do 2u maths and you didnt do chem. and we both know you really hate maths and science.'' so now im not being a zookeeper lol. but i loked into it and you only really need a bachelor of science, which you can get at une with a uai of 70 and can do with other courses too (arts, law, maybe business too if youre looking to keep your options open) anu also has a lot of zoology courses and their uai cutoff is about 85, unsw is about the same

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i thought that unsw science was around the low 70's?

Honours would be a prereq for getting a job in this field, and I'd be willing to bet that it'd still be immensely difficult to get a job in the field without doing Masters, or even more. I'd combine it with a degree, any degree, if i were you.

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
yeh i also really really want to be a zoologist, currently doing those subjects listed below lol..
i was thinking of doing a B Sci/B Arts combined degree just to keep my options open in case getting a job as a zoologist is too hard as i heard it is really hard to get into.

if i do a combined degree will i still be able to major in zoology and be qualified?

sorry thats probably a dumb question but i dont know much about uni
haha
thanks guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)