Zzzz maths (1 Viewer)

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Okay well, a few weeks ago i dropped from 2unit maths to general and it's so simple it's pretty much boring so i'm hoping i can switch back but..
I'm not sure =/
In prelim my marks weren't that great(hence why i dropped), and i'm not too confident about ranking high in it if i switch back, however I could actually do the work in prelim, and did some of the 2unit work as well as looked at my friends books and well..i can do it - but i fucked up in the exams =/(prelim, failed the yearly ;<)
I'm pretty sure i'm gonna need maths in uni..(interested in science or something) so yeah looking for other opinions =)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Well, if you stay in general you pretty much have to get 95+ in the exam to get a decent mark after scaling. Whereas if u do maths 2u you just need to get into the mid to high 80's to get a good mark(Depending on what you classify as 'good'). But if you're planning to do a science related subject most uni's will prefer to except people doing 2unit maths.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
Well, if you stay in general you pretty much have to get 95+ in the exam to get a decent mark after scaling. Whereas if u do maths 2u you just need to get into the mid to high 80's to get a good mark(Depending on what you classify as 'good'). But if you're planning to do a science related subject most uni's will prefer to except people doing 2unit maths.
Lmao, people get 90+ UAIs with nothing like that.

HSC
ekoolish said:

An 80 aligned HSC Mark in Mathematics has the same scaled mean as an 80 in General Maths. General is an excellent UAI booster if you're raping it; and uni, bridging course maybe?

graiiciiee

HSC
i dropped down and im not even paying attention in class because it reminds me too much of year 9/10 but i so would not go back to 2U. It was horrible.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
kevinx2 said:

An 80 aligned HSC Mark in Mathematics has the same scaled mean as an 80 in General Maths. General is an excellent UAI booster if you're raping it; and uni, bridging course maybe?
REally? maybe i might keep it after all =/ might talk to the deputy tomorrow cos seriously it's SO DAMN BORING!! it's gone to the point that im actually starting to hate maths now =/

HSC
KnifeySpoony said:
REally? maybe i might keep it after all =/ might talk to the deputy tomorrow cos seriously it's SO DAMN BORING!! it's gone to the point that im actually starting to hate maths now =/
On 2005 data, an 80 aligned in 2U = a scaled mean of 68.4; whilst an 85 in Gen = a scaled mean of 68.2.

Pretty much the same. Though in terms of raw marks, 2U usually gets aligned more, though this can be made up in General because it's so darn easy.

nomese23

HSC
I think you should stay in general because if you were failing 2unit in Prelim, it does get harder, just try and work harder in general and you could probably get really high marks

Rudroll

A Chicken in my Bag!
HSC
I'm in the same situation. I got forced to drop 2U with 49% and you needed 50% to keep it :rolleyes:

So I dropped to general and its so easy, but what really pisses me off is that 90% of the class are finding it hard so we spend more than half a lesson going over simple stuff.

And I think I'm going to need 2U for Uni, so is it possible to do a bridging course if the Uni course requires 2U as a prerequisite?
Oh, and it's not as if I have no idea what's going on in the 2U course, I just stuffed the tests with silly mistakes.

esstown

HSC
Rudroll said:
And I think I'm going to need 2U for Uni, so is it possible to do a bridging course if the Uni course requires 2U as a prerequisite?
Bridging courses are available at most universities, correct me if im wrong but apparently maq uni doesnt allow them? (info from year/career advisor).

Im pretty sure you can do a bridging course if the subject is a prerequisite, but your better off confirming that with your year advisor or career advisor.

Rudroll

A Chicken in my Bag!
HSC
esstown said:
Bridging courses are available at most universities, correct me if im wrong but apparently maq uni doesnt allow them? (info from year/career advisor).

Im pretty sure you can do a bridging course if the subject is a prerequisite, but your better off confirming that with your year advisor or career advisor.
Ok cool thanks. One of my friends said that bridging courses were only for people who needed that subject as general knowledge, but I'll ask the careers advisor.

And just a general question about bridging courses - Are they held before Uni or during Uni? and I'm guessing that there is a pass mark which you need to achieve?

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Rudroll said:
So I dropped to general and its so easy, but what really pisses me off is that 90% of the class are finding it hard so we spend more than half a lesson going over simple stuff.
The main thing that's pissing me off is the difficulty, it's boring and the easy work turns me off, so i jst procrastinate and put minimal effort into it =/

Rudroll

A Chicken in my Bag!
HSC
KnifeySpoony said:
The main thing that's pissing me off is the difficulty, it's boring and the easy work turns me off, so i jst procrastinate and put minimal effort into it =/
Yeah I agree. Why is there such a huge jump from 2U Maths and General? There should be a course in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)