03'ers.. how far off was SAM for your UAI (1 Viewer)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Only very limited statistics are actually published, so we can almost never have it exact unfortunately.
so u dont coordinate with BOS(board) to get detailed stats?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Jealousy
Mine was .15 to low, not happy jan!! By the sounds of it these ppl who made SAM can't get anyones right! Ridiculous!

how much more accurate cud it be??

SAM is gr8!

gress

NSW UAI: 84.00

2003 UAI: 84.00
2002 UAI: 85.00
2001 UAI: 88.20

Mean: 85.70

Actual UAI was 81.80
Did UAC fuck me over? :|

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by cheesegrater
2003 -1.6 :(
overall + .7
i did one subject accelerated does this affect accuracy? (accounted for this in that drop down thing), also does accuracy decrease as UAI goes down because i got a low UAI (79.2) and its less accurate than others?
The accelerated course shouldn't make a difference, so long as you selected the correct year (which you apparently did).

Yes, the tool is more accurate for higher UAIs. This is because the published statistical data tends to focus much more on the students who do well than those who don't.

Originally posted by lil_star
so u dont coordinate with BOS(board) to get detailed stats?
I am constantly involved in an unending battle with both the Board and the Technical Committee in an attempt to obtain unpublished data. Both provide tidbits only reluctantly, claiming that to provide more would be "against the public interest". You'll hear more from us on this issue over the coming month.

Originally posted by gress
NSW UAI: 84.00
Actual UAI was 81.80
Did UAC fuck me over? :|
PM me your marks and courses, along with the years in which you completed those courses, and I'll investigate. Mistakes are rarely made, but they do occur - however it's more likely that you're a SAM anomaly. :)

gress

Hello
I PM'd you the courses and marks, but I forgot to mention I completed all courses in 2003.

What I did find it out is, if I plug in my Examination marks into your SAM calc, it gives me
NSW UAI: 81.80
Which is exactly what I got, however when I plug in my HSC Marks, it gives me 84.00. Which kinda sucks for me since my Assessment Marks were significantly higher than my Exam marks. (and hence higher HSC Marks than Exam marks). =/

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by gress
Meh.. Were we meant to use Examination marks instead of HSC marks?
No. You were meant to use HSC marks.

I can only assume that SAM should have calculated your scaled mark for English to be lower than it did. Your mark for that course falls into a range for which almost no statistics are available - all other marks are very much within the acceptable range. This issue with inaccuracies resulting from low marks is one that I should be able to rectify in the next version of SAM.

gress

I see.
But would that explain why, when I plug in my exam marks it gave the correct UAI? (ie no error)
-My english exam mark (and 4/5 subjects) were a fair bit worse than my hsc marks for them.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Without knowing what they are, I can't say - you can PM me those as well if you want.

HSC
N/A
Sam was very accurate iwth a 0.05 difference!
It kinda sucks to know how significantly higher my uai would have been in 2002/1...grrrr:mad:

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
i think we all wish that we were in "01"... but then again we have to c that in that yr the exams were harder...

SAM was .45 below my uai mark

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
2003 UAI: 98.70
2002 UAI: 98.80
2001 UAI: 99.50

i ACTUALLY got 98.6 in 2003

gene

It was spot on for me, which i found suprising.

But then again, back at the same time last year, before i even had started the HSC, UAI predictor guessed it spot on as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)