06'ers Syl (1 Viewer)

kazan

im a herooo
at home, in the study, on a chair, infront of a co
HSC
i was thinking, maybe like we start our own summary of the cores, dot point by dot point, and then when its done we can put it in the resources section for future years to use, kind of like our legacy :)

call it a gay idea if you want, but i figured its an excellent way to combine everyones knowledge to help us and future chem heads study, and that if everyone adds like a dot point or 2, we should have all 3 cores done in like a week or so.

anyone up for it?

production of materials

fossil fuels provide both energy and raw materials such as ethylene for the production of other substances

construct word and balanced equations of chemical reactions as they are encounterd

that one is kinda hard to summarise :p

identify the indstrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum

ethylene(ethene) is a hydrocabon, it is relatively small compared to other hydrocarbons, and can be produced from the cracking of bigger hydrocarbons.
this can occur in 2 differnt ways, which are normally used in conjunction with each other
- thermal cracking: involes boiling the crude oil, so that the impurities(smaller chained hydrocarbons with a lower boiling point) will evapourate. as this process occurs, differnt tiers within the thermal cracking column are at differnt tempreatures, and when the gaseous hydrocarbon reaches its matching condensation tempreature, it returns to a liquid form and is syphoned off for future use

- catalytic cracking: these smaller hydrocarbons are then passed over a zeolite catalyst which breaks them down to smaller hydrocarbons again

eg.

C4H10 --> C2H4 + C2H6 (with a zeolite catalyst)

the main difference between these two methods, is that the first method is used to seperate a hetrogenous substance, using there physical properties, while the second method uses a chemical reaction to break down a compound into smaller compounds

Last edited:

Boots Riley

HSC
I think most people are doing syllabus summaries anyway, so why not?

:)

Too bad I don't have time to study for Chem at the moment!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)