• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

1/2 yearly results everybody! (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by acmilan1987
Thats what i mean, if a physics student uses calculus to do it and they have a right to complain, then a maths student should be able to complain if they assume the formulas. In other words, just follow what you are supposed to do and dont mix subjects
You don't understand me.

In Physics: Formulas are provided.

In Maths: Formulas MUST BE DERIVED, unless stated.

In physics, if you derive the formulas, you are merely providing extra correct information, which is not a reason to deduct marks. For example, if there was a question for which an answer not in SI units was acceptable, you would not be wrong to convert the answer to SI units.

CrashOveride

HSC
Hold on,

in maths we must always derive stuff like:

v = u + at
s = ut + 0.5at<sup>2</sup>
v<sup>2</sup> = u<sup>2</sup> + 2as

we can never ever just assume this and plug in stuff?

Does it explicitly say that anywhere?

televators

HSC
70%, 4/20

ooh yeh, lol- was expecting like 30%

average, bout 50-55%

cko

HSC
welli got my rank i came 40/73. omg it sucked coz tha first tym i saw my rank i was coming 14/73 but tha stoopid teacher showed me tha rank of someone else's by mistake! :( it sucked... no really it did!

zergcave

HSC
guys....would it be wise to start summarising dotpoints from the prelim course? it seems that none of the topics in year 11 are even worth remebering for HSC....

% 86 outright first :D

grimreaper

HSC
Originally posted by zergcave
guys....would it be wise to start summarising dotpoints from the prelim course? it seems that none of the topics in year 11 are even worth remebering for HSC....

% 86 outright first :D
Stuff from the preliminary course can't be directly assessed in the HSC but it's assumed knowledge.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
you will find that many things from the prelim, especially formulae, will emerge again in the hsc, sometimes textbooks assume you know it

sammeh

result = 43/60

2nd in class, top mark of 45. i sat this exam coming off 7 weeks off school with glandular fever and straight into the exams. that considered, im ecstatic with the result :]

on the whole phys vs maths thing - you can use maths methods in physics. the markers will go to extreme lengths to verify your results, so feel free to do your vector work with complex numbers, motion questions using applications of calculus to particle dynamics, etc etc.

this is what my phys teacher, who's been marking phys, bio and chem hsc papers for years, told me, almost verbatim. he told me to only study my maths, it'll save me time, and just use it in phys where applicable. im willing to trust him on this one.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Persephone87
lol
And the scary thing is that thats the only one ive passed so far

zergcave

HSC
lol why is everyone so crap at physics? all of a sudden im so 'smart'...theres no real competetion in my class. ive been topping all my physics assessments the entire year.

similar story with my business studies. 3 classes. no competitors close to even to challenging my 1st place.

zergcave

HSC
As wif maths 2/3. im only being beaten by the dozen or so new imports. theyre absolutly insane at maths.

however im realli struggling with english advanced arrgh? drop?

zergcave

HSC
wow ur smart.....many pple i know are gifted at either maths or english...and not both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)