<$10 an hour = slave labour ... (1 Viewer)

leathaface

Think about the money... not about the fucking job... yes I know Maccas is slave labor... so that's an exception. But then, its ugly dawg... this is how it is out in the real world!

You'll learn soon enough when you are jobless and stone broke... having to go to Preztle World to grab free samples of Preztles just so you can get something to eat because you only got 1.87 in your bank card and you had to go out that day (not social, but maybe appoinment or something important) and you don't want to ask your mama for the dough.

capsicum

HSC
BreaKing said:
and if your boss is a fucking bitch (like my maccas boss) steal to your hearts content!
*yay*! steal and eat until your heart's content. but then you get sick of the food so easily cuz you're always surrounded by it. but steal it anyway! :uhhuh:

most of the really young maccas employees are rostered for work on public holidays cuz a really high penalty applies. i loved working on those days, but every other day sucked. some of the people who worked with me gave me the shits and i hated going to work.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
v sia said:
Think about it , if you work in macca's , woolies , coles etc and you were getting paid lets say $7 an hour . Dont you think that its slave labour ???

eg. Macca's

Arrive , clean the fucken toilet , 20 minute job = $2.30 for cleaning a pile of smelly shit . Flip 60 burgers = $ 7

Its even worse if your 14 and 9 months and working a 3 hour short ass shift on the busiesst day of the week . I reckon if you wanna work a lot to get $$$ work in a factory where u get paid $15 an hour
yep its a piece of shit!
i dont understand why so many people go to work there
seriously.. who wants to work in fucking slave labour earning SHIT ALL!
i mean, my younger brother is going to get a job in kfc, im like WTF FOR! it smells, its shit and its way underpaid!

my first job (i went locally!... i refused to work in fastfood shit)
i went to an accessories shop near my house, within walking distance, i was in the shop by myself (yep first job!) got paid cash $10 an hr, thats when i was 15!

my next job was telemarketing (no experience needed) you know those people that do surveys? yeah! that was 10$ and also worked on comission of an extra $5 for every item (of what we were selling) were sold! it was greattttttt we also got some monetary bonuses every now and then (end of month, who made so many appointments.. bla bla) too bad that place closed down! lol

my current job is at a pharmacy and i luv it so far ive been there for a year and had 2 pay rises from $8.60 - $9.80 now its 11.90$ i can chose my shifts and the hours are flexible and the work is definately not hard! my outfit is presentable and im learning new things (such as medicines and other kinds of things from the common cold/sore throat to skin care and antibacterial products...... which is far more better then having had you have experience at macdonalds in flipping burgers!)

i feel sorry for people who work in that slum shit of fast food!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
^^ you sort of answered my question from the other thread here. one day i am going to work at a chemist. i think the things you learn there will be useful and practical for the rest of your life.

waterfowl

HSC
I think you are just trying to find something to complain about. You should be happy that you actually have a job and earn money. If you start work before age 15 it's obvious you're going to get a crappy rate of pay because the awards don't protect you.
It may be hard work wherever you are, but that doesn't mean you should whinge and whine about how little you get paid all the time. Think about the experience you are getting, and if the work is really that bad try not to think about it and just do it. Once you've been at a job long enough everything becomes automatic anyway.

Younger people get paid less because they theoretically have less monatery responsibilities and their time isn't as 'valuable' as older people. Think about it: -
a 14 year old works 4 hours each afternoon at some store, the same as a 17 year old. Now when the 14 year old gets home he maybe has to do a couple of chores and do his easy (and dare I say meaningless) year 8 homework. However when the 17 year old gets home, he has to also do chores and study for his upcoming exams which count towards his HSC.
Therefore the 17 year old really doesn't have time for a job, but he needs the money; whereas the 14 year old may need the money, but he has time for the job.
Also the 17 year old may have expenses unlike the 14 year old. Eg. car, rent (some parents are stingy), school stuff etc.

To say Maccas work is labour is a bit of a stretch, I may have never worked there but I doubt the work is difficult and exhausting - sure it may get hot and you may get tired, but that isn't labour. And slave? Come on.

Be happy with what you have, and if it is above award wages then be really happy! And if you still insist that your work is too damn hard and you're not earning enough money, then quit and find a better job! And if one doesn't exist then why don't you be entrepeneurial and start your own business - or would that be too difficult and slave like?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't know if i agree with all your comments,to 14 year olds year 8 homework is hard, they find it stressful just as 17yo do. their brain isn't as developed as older people.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
natstar said:
cuz 18 year olds generally need more money than a 14 year old who is supported by their parents

Load of shit. Any 18 year old I know just drinks all their money or buys clothes.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
My bf has had 2 jobs one when he was 17 and earning $12 an hour, then another one this year as an 18 year old earning over $13 an hour. Now looking for another job he says he won't accept anything that pays less than $12. He recently turned down a job at Lone Star cos the pay was "only" $9.80 an hour. It's a bit annoying cos I have a job, am now 19 and I get $10 an hour. But I don't complain that it's too low, I mean I didn't have much experience when I started and atm, I could work at Macca's and earn more! But it doesn't really bother me, because I mostly enjoy my job. When I was 15 I worked at The Reject Shop for around $7 an hour, but I didn't complain because it was my first job and I was getting good experience. If you have no experience you can't expect to get much more than minimum wage, you have to start somewhere and if you'd rather not work at all than work for $7 as a 15 yr old, then it's going to be a lot harder to get decent pay when you're older.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Yes like ive said before, its just wrong to give a young worker half or less of the rate of an adult worker. Just because your young, doesnt mean you get cheaper bills, or you have to pay half the amount any other person does.

The reality is, everyones been there. This is why you should stay in school!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
slide rule - interesting point, i hadn't realised that. however there are some 18 yo who genuinely need the money, they are living away from home etc. i am sure there are also some 14yo in difficult situations who also genuinely need the money.

i think it's actually easier for uni students to juggle work and uni/tafe (as opposed to 15yo juggling work and school work in year 8/9) because they are older and more capable and uni/tafe have less hours than school.

yenta - that would be annyoing but i can understand that if your friend is working for $13 now he wouldn't want to turn it down for something less.
i just read it again and maybe you are saying he isn't employed atm? well in that case it's stupid, he should take what he can. it'll be difficult for him to find a job if he's being picky.

waterfowl

HSC
Benovista said:
Yes like ive said before, its just wrong to give a young worker half or less of the rate of an adult worker. Just because your young, doesnt mean you get cheaper bills, or you have to pay half the amount any other person does.

The reality is, everyones been there. This is why you should stay in school!
Generally though most young people (<18) don't have to worry about bills etc because they should be still living at home, whereas most people over 18 do. I know it may seem unfair to those that do have to worry, but most people don't.

It's a pitty there isn't some system where they can measure how hard you actually work. Eg when I worked at Subway, there were sometimes these people who would just stand around and do nothing whilst everyone else worked. I mean sometimes the manager would be standing around talking whilst I was busy doing something, and when a customer came to the front she would tell me to go and just keep on talking herself!

But the system of paying according to age does have many advantages. Again generally younger people have less experience. Also it allows time to get used to handling money. Young kids can learn how to budget with small amounts before they get handed large amounts. If they were just given a huge rate of pay they would just go and blow it on things straight away, and not learn the value of saving etc.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm 17 and I won't work for anything under $10/hr unless there's some added bonus. There are at least 2 places I can go where I can get $10+/hr and I consider anything less than that a bit iffy.

Scanorama

HSC
That chick I know is working for a local cafe. She is 15 (turning 16 in less than 1 month), only started her job recently and they pay her $6.5/hour......

cyko

HSC
thank you for ur sympathy .. lol
working at maccas atm
will be quitting soon ..
pay rise rising slowly ... and i mean extremely slowy.
its at 7.95 atm
but i only work on sundays ^^ 1 day a week is good enough for me
so its around $12/hr
usually work 8 hr shifts
so thats 96 a week , many times they go cheap, and when theres too much people on, they get rid of the experienced or the more expensive ..
the tightasses

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
That chick I know is working for a local cafe. She is 15 (turning 16 in less than 1 month), only started her job recently and they pay her $6.5/hour......
My first job which I worked when I was just under the legal limit (ie I was like 14 and 7 months or something) I got paid $5.45/hr. At Bakers, as a 15/16 yr old I got $6/hr. I think when you start working you should expect to be paid shittily. However now I'm older, I'm more experienced and I know at least 2 places I can go to and get paid $10/hr+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)