• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

10 or 11 Units? (3 Viewers)

alex09hsc

HSC
i know someone who got 100 uai with senior science and business services haha

barsa

HSC
i got 13!!
ext maths
std eng
physics
eco
legal
bio!!!
and practically all my frnds are trying to encourage me to do 11
so i wanna keep one jus for back up!!
so please HELP!!!:spin:

HSC
It's not stereotyping if it's usually true. Besides, just ask the 99.95-ers this year what subjects they did - you'll find perhaps only 1 or 2 did one or more of those subjects, out of the 48. I even doubt one.
you're just full of yourself.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Take as many subjects that you feel comfortable with is my argument to anyone. I someone wants 20 units and will handle them all, so be it. If someone wants 10 and can handle it, then good for them also.

The most comfortable amount of subjects whether you want back-ups if you're worried about not going well in one subject is all up to you.

speedofsound

HSC
speedofsound, I went through every single ATAR in the 2009 ATAR thread, and out of the 20 99 ATAR's or more, ONE did Society and Culture. 17 did Maths Extension 1, 14 did Chemistry and/or Physics, 15 did Maths Extension 2, 5 did Extension 1 and/or 2 English. So really, at the uppermost ATARs - that is simple proof, vivid, true and real - that the highest ATARs are achieved most of the time by those who do the high scaling subjects.

By contrast, of the 104 people who posted their subject's and ATAR's this year - of the 20 who got less than 90 ATAR, only 1 did Maths Extension 1, 5 did Chemistry, 4 did Physics, none did Maths Extension 2 or the English equivalent, 3 did English Extension 1.

Furthermore, 9 of the 20 who got less than 90 did General Maths (in contrast to 7 who got 90+ but none got 99 or higher). 3 did Standard English, compared to 8 who got 90+ but none got over 99. Out of the 7 who did Society and Culture, 1 got 99 or higher, and 5 got from 90-99, while the outlier from it - one person - got an ATAR of less than 65.

Out of the 3 who reported Drama, 2 got less than 90 (although reported ATAR's of 80-90) while the other got 95 but did not break 99.

Sure this is very preliminary, but since I have tons of time on my hands - I could do this for last year's cohort, and the year before that, etc, etc, etc. Of course converting to ATAR from the UAI.

My conclusion is, it is very clear that those who get high ATAR's do high scaling subjects in general. The data for lower ATAR's does not have a large enough sample space to make observations.
i stopped reading after the first sentence. your argument loses any validity due to the fact the fact you only got your information from off of here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)