10 Russian spies arrested in the US, 1 in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Lipin

HSC
Russia has the coolest/scariest spies I think and I shall be following this closely.

WASHINGTON — They had lived for more than a decade in American cities and suburbs from Seattle to New York, where they seemed to be ordinary couples working ordinary jobs, chatting to the neighbors about schools and apologizing for noisy teenagers.

But on Monday, federal prosecutors accused 11 people of being part of a Russian espionage ring, living under false names and deep cover in a patient scheme to penetrate what one coded message called American “policy making circles.”

An F.B.I. investigation that began at least seven years ago culminated with the arrest on Sunday of 10 people in Yonkers, Boston and northern Virginia.On Tuesday, an 11th accused member of the ring was arrested around 9 a.m. at an airport in Cyprus while trying to leave for Budapest, a police offical said.
The suspect, a Canadian citizen, was released on bail and was expected to face an extradition hearing within a month.

The suspects were directed to gather information on nuclear weapons, American policy toward Iran, C.I.A. leadership, Congressional politics and many other topics, prosecutors say. The Russian spies made contact with a former high-ranking American national security official and a nuclear weapons researcher, among others. But the charges did not include espionage, and it was unclear what secrets the suspected spy ring — which included five couples — actually managed to collect.

Criminal complaints filed in Federal District Court in Manhattan on Monday read like an old-fashioned cold war thriller: Spies swapping identical orange bags as they brushed past each other in a train station stairway. An identity borrowed from a dead Canadian, forged passports, messages sent by shortwave burst transmission or in invisible ink. A money cache buried for years in a field in upstate New York.

But the network of so-called illegals — spies operating under false names outside of diplomatic cover — also used cyber-age technology, according to the charges. They embedded coded texts in ordinary-looking images posted on the Internet, and they communicated by having two agents pass casually with laptops containing special software flashed messages between them.
rest and moar:
In Ordinary Lives, U.S. Sees the Work of Russian Agents - NYTimes.com - page 1
In Ordinary Lives, U.S. Sees the Work of Russian Agents - NYTimes.com - page 2

List of techniques the FBI used.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...60932/Russian-spy-ring-a-guide-to-spying.html

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
The story sounds so cool, secret double life in espionage.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
how is being a spy a crime again?
It compromises the integrity of a state, and since most people support the existence of states, that's a problem.

Another way to look at it is corporate spies - they disrupt the free market.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I love this. All my favourite paranoia-inducing spy films/TV series are now true.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Ummm if you catch someone spying on your company, you can fire them and or/refuse them service, just like a nation can kick people out.

Locking people up and torturing them because they might have overhead your secret, not cool. Guard your secrets better.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
It compromises the integrity of a state, and since most people support the existence of states, that's a problem.

Notrly, they exploit competitive weaknesses, tbqh

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Actually I now think our position on this was wrong.

If a property owner has a legitimate claim to property, he may punish certain behavior on that property even if the punishment appears unreasonable and excessive, so long as he forewarns people coming onto the property.

Of course we can always say the US government's claim to 6% of the world's land is illegitimate (and indeed I would). But that is pretty unconvincing to anyone but anarcho-capitalists, and it does not make criminalizing spying wrong per se.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Bingo. The key word there is 'exploit'.

A genuine free market should be based on hard work and innovation, not exploitation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)