• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

10 units and major works (1 Viewer)

avro

HSC
So, I'm currently contemplating dropping to ten units. I do Ext 2 English, Modern History, Ancient History, Society and Culture, SOR 2 and History Extension. I am seriously considering dropping Ancient History and dropping SOR 2 to SOR 1 and just doing ten units.

I don't want advice on what subjects I should drop etc, but what I really would like to know is how risky would it be to do ten units with 3 subjects involving major works? (I am aware of the considerable subjectivity involved with this).

Could anyone who has done ten units with two or more major works please provide me some advice and provide me with an explanation as to whether or not this would be wise?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd judge it as extremely risky.
It's a big drop to do in one move, so I would maybe drop to 12 or 11 first.
I wouldn't do it personally.

But if you like your major works and feel confident, 10 units is good because you have adequate time for them. His Ext and SAC major work are not that subjective but EE2 is the one to watch. I'd never do EE2 as a definite counter.

avro

HSC
I just don't know. Ten is great to focus specifically on your strongest subjects, and to get rid of the weakest links. I think that doing EE2 is a risk, but then again, a Humanities subject where they throw you a very obscure question or a very obscure and unexpected paper is just as much of a risk. Hm, decisions decisions.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I know you didn't ask for what subjects to drop, but I was curious to know if at least one unit of SOR was compulsory at your school? It would change what I would recommend.

Good luck in your decision.

marcella1407

HSC
I did 10 units with 2 majors. My Subjects were:

Advanced English
Ext 1 English
Modern History
Ancient History
History Extension
Textiles

Initially I took Ext 2 English but dropped - just wasn't into it but I think it would have been too much as well if I hadn't dropped it. But as for my 2 majors, I loved having them because they were things I could get out of the way just focus on exams. Other people at my school also did combinations like drama, dance, society and culture & ext 2. But their stress levels were way higher than mine because things like extension 2 & drama were due around the same time. The good thing about history extension was it was due in like june so I had it out of the way well before textiles was due.

My best advice would be to take a REALLY good look at the calendar. Weigh up when each is due & also take into consideration when half yearlys are - super important because lots of schools put them at the same time major works are around about due.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^This is a good point.

His Ext is not so bad as a major because it's out of the way of the others, but I believe SAC and EE2 are normally due around the same time. Which is trials time too at my school.

avro

HSC
Yes, at least one unit of religion is compulsory at my school :(

D94

HSC
N/A
^This is a good point.

His Ext is not so bad as a major because it's out of the way of the others, but I believe SAC and EE2 are normally due around the same time. Which is trials time too at my school.
It's not a major work. It's just an assessment task - exams contribute more overall than that assessment task.

avro

HSC
It's not a major work. It's just an assessment task - exams contribute more overall than that assessment task.
That may be so, but it is a lot of sustained research and effort just like an externally marked major work. Plus, we have nine months to research but it obviously contributes significantly to our internal ranks (at my school, the project has a 35% weighting - not sure about other schools. But this weight is a lot more than most of my trials. My Modern trial exam is weighted at a mere 20%).

delian

HSC
N/A
Only drop to 10 if a)your remaining 10 units are good OR b)you really don't have enough time to study for more than 10 units.

It's a gamble, but it may work out.

Bobbo1

HSC
This is extremely risk considering the subjectivity and swing of your subjects. Major works are very hard to pick as to whether you will go good in it or not unlike maths and the sciences. Just stick with the 12 units unless you find it absolutely impossible to cope with work load.

D94

HSC
N/A
That may be so, but it is a lot of sustained research and effort just like an externally marked major work. Plus, we have nine months to research but it obviously contributes significantly to our internal ranks (at my school, the project has a 35% weighting - not sure about other schools. But this weight is a lot more than most of my trials. My Modern trial exam is weighted at a mere 20%).
I know, I did Extension History, but I can assure you that a good performance in the HSC takes precedence over that assessment (reflective of my marks). I'm sure you've been "talked" into believing this is some stressful, exciting project, where long term "sustained research and effort" is going to get you a high mark. That's not true. Sure those who did do a lot of research etc. got a high mark, but that isn't due to sustaining that research, rather great essay writing skills. The project is an "argument" - debate and write well and you will get the marks (if marked properly, as per marking guidelines).

The project had an 80% weighting at my school, obviously much more than other subjects. Point being, even if you don't do well in that project, it's not something to worry about as your exam performance is far more important than the assessment.

So to answer your original question, I know people who have had 2 major works, 3 if you consider the Extension History project as one, and have gotten 97+ ATAR. Sure it's risky, but is it going to get you the ATAR you want/need? Probably yes because you will enjoy those subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)