10 Units in Year 12 HSC (1 Viewer)

cheerio

HSC
Is doing 10 Units for the HSC too risky if I'm aiming for 99+ ATAR?
I go to a top 5 selective school and it seems most of my peers are intending on doing 12 Units for the HSC.
The subjects I want to do are: Maths 3U, English 3U, Chemistry, and Biology (which adds on to the riskiness). Also, how well do I have to do in each of these subjects in terms of ranking? Thanks in advance! :guitar:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Doing 10 units is fine, trust me. I would actually recommend doing 10 units unless you have a specific reason to do 12 units (e.g. you need to do x and y subjects to be well prepared for your future uni course). Plus all of your subjects are high scaling.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
It's risky in the sense that you have nothing to fall back on. But it's also got its benefits. It will allow you to focus solely on the subjects that count and you will have more time overall to study and prepare!

Well, you go to a top 5 selective school - just do your best and I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't really comment on ranks since I don't know your cohort size but definitely be in the greater quarter of your grade.

But all in all, you should be OK for the coming HSC - I'm sure you're more than capable and you'll definitely reach your ATAR goal if you work hard and consistently :)

baktiar77

HSC
Yeah I know many kids who decide to do 12 units in the top selective schools but its mainly cause they've done 1/2 subjects in year 11 accelerated (although for the 4 unit kids, the 2 unit maths doesn't count anyway). Many struggle with 10 units let alone with 12 so you're fine as long you're happy about the subjects you're doing and willing to put time and effort into them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)