10 Units or 12 Units (1 Viewer)

craz

HSC
Hmm...I dropped the unit before trials even began. I was doing 14 units and dropped to 12. Thank god i didn't do 10 units...no way would I have done well enough to get into uni ;)

But yea i think you're best to drop at the end of Semester 1 or before trials...

HSC
another thing is i do uncommon topics in modern history and its hard to find resources.

I do the core study: WWI (which is ok) coz everyone else is doing it, South Africa as a national study which is relatively new, Nelson Mandela for my personality study and Anglo-Irish relations for my International study which is also really uncommon...

i don't know if uncommon topics are good. it's good because you stand out from all the others who did Russia, Germany and the Cold War etc

Zoe.Hibbard

HSC
Uncommon topics are not necessarily an advantage or disadvantage. When you think about it, there are 60,000 other students sitting the HSC, and it all comes down to how you answer your specific question. Markers will be sitting there marking the same paper for hours at a time, whether it be Anglo-Irish relations or Albert Speer, so the trick would be to answer the question as thoroughly as possible.

As far as dropping from 12 units to 10 units - if you feel comfortable with your 10 other units and you find that modern history is dragging you down then drop the damn thing. You can drop the subject at any stage (at least thats what we were told) even if its just before your exam as long as you let the Board of Studies know.

Hope this helped..

shimmy&shine

HSC
Good decision. 10 units is what I do, and I think its perfect. You can concentrate on those, and lots of free periods!!!

And to the girl who said, having free periods = more study. That wasn't true for me at all. It was all friends, talk, fun, Westfield, lalala.......... NO STUDY AT ALL!!!

hello_world

HSC
lots of girls at my school do 10 units now, but most started off with about 11/12 in year 12. Don't waste time on modern if you don't enjoy it, you're better off focusing more on your others

gemrism

HSC
YOURE SO LCUKY I WISH I COULD DROP MODERN...unfortunately its counting for me!!!

sinist4

HSC
10 units are the best... LOL, onli hav to do 6 exams in hsc :), its onli good if you no that u can do well in ur 10 units otherwise stick with 12 or 13 :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
shinji said:
somebody has too much time on their hands? lol

i do 11 units. le' perfect ^^
me too. :)

yeah, good on you for dropping it. personally i love modern but it is a demanding course in some ways (lots and lots to learn and know and synthesise) so if you're not feeling up to the challenge, probably best to drop.

bubbly

HSC
NobodyKnows said:
Meh, the decision is yours. I have 10 units but do 4 subjects - dumbest decision in the history of the world.
My friend does 12 units but only 3 subjects

bubbly

HSC
Captain Obvious said:
I did 17 preliminary units, and 15 HSC units. I wish i hadn't, because it was a damn waste of time.
Y did u do so many?

bubbly

HSC
I only do 10 units.

I wish i did 12 & hadnt dropped nethin bcoz i would @ least have 2 units 2 fall back on if i completely fucked up

HSC
i know i am so relieved at finally dropping Modern after like 4 months of deciding whether to keep it but now i'm like was that the worst decision i've ever made? maybe i'm just the kinda person that just wants what i don't have at the moment. no turning back i just hav to do damn well with my remaining 10 units. god i think too much...

Last edited:
HSC
gemrism said:
YOURE SO LCUKY I WISH I COULD DROP MODERN...unfortunately its counting for me!!!
Hey gemrism i've been following how much you hate modern. I absolutely agree with you but now i'm not sure whether I should have kept it as a back up despite bombing out in the trials. I'm assuming you're only doing 10 units. What topics are you doing in Modern? Hey just hang in there we don't have long to go anyways.

Good luck!
u were my modern history hating buddy on this site!

HSC
Modern History Topics

WWI and its Aftermath
South Africa
Nelson Mandela
Anglo-Irish Relations

gemrism

HSC
Hey babes,
I'm doing Germany, Albert Speer, WW1 and Conflict in the Pacific.
It's not that bad but I just don't have a comparative advantge in it. I have 11 but ext 1 maths is not counting...so i have to get really well in modern :(.
I wish i never changed from business...
or wish i ahd kept bio....
*Sigh*
Awwww i loved ranting about modern with you!

HSC
politik, i absolutely agree. Now you can see why i felt like dropping it. It also makes me feel worse that my old school did the USA, Douglas Macarthur and Conflict in the Pacific. I mean doesn't it tell you something if only, like 3% of the state is doing South Africa and Anglo-Irish Relations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)