10 units or 12 units? (1 Viewer)

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
My son has just finished Yr 11, and is considering dropping a subject for Yr 12. This will still give him 10 units. Is this common/wise/recommended, to only be sitting 10 units?

Flop21

HSC
10 is the minimum. Do you want more work and less time to study for each subject overall + security of 1 subject not counting? Do 12 units.

Do you want to spend as much time on the minimum subjects you can do and can't be bothered doing more work than needed? Do 10 units. I did 10 units and haven't regretted it.

Drsoccerball

HSC
My son has just finished Yr 11, and is considering dropping a subject for Yr 12. This will still give him 10 units. Is this common/wise/recommended, to only be sitting 10 units?
It will allow him to concentrate more on the other subjects also leading to less stress thus maximising his marks for the other subjects. However if he is competent enough to do 12 units without gaining stress and still having high marks he should do it for back up.

Mathsisfun15

HSC
or he can do what I did and have a subject where you barely study for but do it for fun and doesn't take up much time

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I'm doing / have done 10 units, and haven't regretted it. It's good to have a backup in case he doesn't perform well in a particular subject, but if he's competent in all of his subjects, then as far as I'm concerned, a backup isn't necessary.

Ambility

HSC
The way I see it is:

If your son is the type of person who will take advantage of their free time, he should do 10 units. The free time he is given will be used to study (for the most part) and he will get better grades in the 5 subjects he does than he would have gotten in the top 5 of his 6 current subjects. If, however, he isn't so self-disciplined, perhaps 12 units may be the better way to go. Having an extra subject will keep him busy, may make him more productive in his study, and can keep him out of trouble.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
I'm doing 10 units this year. I'm dropping my worst subject, Physics.

My physics teacher told me the general criteria for dropping subjects.
1) You don't enjoy the subject
2) You aren't good at the subject
3) You don't need the subject as a prerequisite for UNI

Since I didn't do well in year 11, I knew that dropping from 2U Maths to General, and dropping Physics (which both were my time consuming subjects) would allow me to put more time and effort into subjects I was weak at.

Now each of my classes i'm learning something new and/or am enjoying the content being taught.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
do 10 units, unless you need 12.
no point having 12 units, if 2 of your units are a dud, or preventing you from doing better in your other subjects.

AntarcticMonkeys

HSC
tbh it wouldn't hurt to keep it for a while if he can manage, I was on twelve units and really wanted to drop a subject, but I did so bad in one of my other subjects that I would be effed if I wasn't on twelve. First assessment can give some leverage though so less to have to study for is good, and some people strategically plan to be on ten units and ace everything because they have way more time

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
10 units is considered risky, but if he can work hard and do well in all of his 10 units then he should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)