10 units - Too Much of a Risk? (1 Viewer)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Lolz he's been here since 05, surely he woulda picked up some knowledge.

10 unitz, my friend wanted to drop a sub but the yr advisor wouldn't let her matter how much she argued, so in the end she ended up signing the forms and chucking them on the year advisors floor say "you can take it or leave" and stormed off b4 they could reject. True her style gal!

So ignoring my story above have you talked to your year and careers advisor?

Just wondering can you pick something like SLR that won't count towards your UAI but still counted as a subject?

P

pLuvia

I had 11 units, but pretty much gave up on the last unit but it ended up counting into my UAI due to its high scaling and I got a uai 95+

But if you are confident that you will work hard and won't stuff up on any subject 10 units is fine and plus you will most likely have millions of free periods :p

xclo

HSC
i started with 12 units and then dropped to 10, even though if u do not ace one subject or it doesn't scale too well, ur other 8 units should more than compensate if u do well in them, getting u 99+ with a bit of luck. however, the workload drops so much when ur doing 10 units, u have so much free time and so less stress, like basically at least one free period a day. u can use them to study harder if u want to improve ur other 10 units or relax and gloat at those ppl doing 12(like i did)

tezza6189

professional time waster
HSC
I did 13 units and was almost driven to the point of insanity by the fact that I have heaps more exams than everyone else (especially with music - had performance, composition and written papers all seperately). But with 13 units you have some sort of a 'back-up'. The fact that I have a back-up subject sort of made me felt better when I screwed something up in one subject.

But having said that, I sort of resented doing so many units. Because chemistry took so much work and I didn't end up counting it and I could've spent the time I spent on chemistry on doing better in 4unit maths. I think you should drop to the amount of units you feel the most comfortable doing. If you do 12 units and really can't handle it, then your "back-up" subject might hinder you from getting a good mark from all your other subjects. However, if the 12 units aren't too much work than I say you keep them. Just don't ever drop subjects to get more frees!

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
10 units = less stress + greater dedication

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
yoakim said:
10 units = less stress + greater dedication
I like looking at it that way :)

At the moment, it would appear I will be doing 10 units for my HSC year. Because my school fucked up the lines and there were heaps of clashes, I've had to give up subjects I would have otherwised picked up and choose subjects I'm not necessarily interested in. I've always said that I wouldn't want to do more than 1 major because my time-management skills aren't that great. Using this plan, I would have to drop Society & Culture (since I'm not doing a PIP ontop of a EE2 major) bringing my units from 12 to 10.

So I understand that you shouldn't drop a subject because of free periods. But what about dropping them because you don't think you can deal with the majors? Is that fair enough?

jessdoit

HSC
It's up to you but I'd probably keep it. But yes I guess it does depend on your performance... Good luck : )

jaaaaay

HSC
my friend is doing 10units... i think it's alrite, you can dedicate more time to the subjects you do and you won't be 'wasting' units that aren't counted later =]

but the thing is, with my friend who's doing only 10units... she gets like 99% in everything... so she's got nothing to worry about... heh, she got 92% in a 4u maths assessment, the average was like 50ish%...

but it's up to you!! xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)