10 units vs 12 units (1 Viewer)

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Minimise the damage. What would you fall back on if you had 10 units? Nothing. You'd have to work super hard to get back to where you would've been without the tragedy.

With more than 10 units, let's say a tragedy happens. Your marks take a hit. But because you have more than 10 units, you know that one subject isn't going to count - and you go forward with a mental note that you haven't completely stuffed up. For me, my maths marks suffered because in maths you need constant revision. But because I had Physics and Legal Studies (what I deemed my 'extra units') - I was able to not worry about the maths units because I had these 'extra units' to lift me back up to a respectable ATAR.

Funnily enough, my 'extra units' didn't end up counting!

Eddy, one of my valves was making blood go the wrong way. 'Leaking' I believe is the term?
Must've been serious. Is it going to affect you in the future? D:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Wow, dude! Are you okay now man? Wow, that must've really taken a chunk out of your HSC... how harshly did it affect you?
Must've been serious. Is it going to affect you in the future? D:
Well, I hope I'm okay now =P

Less angina/chest pain than in the past. Which is always nice. But yes, two months out of my HSC (the end result obvious from the ATAR and marks I got) - one month before (with the attitude, "Why should I study for an exam which could be held seven months after I die?") and one month after (doctor says: no studying). I still did my EX2 work though - that was just reading and typing.

But thankfully, I shouldn't go back into the operating theatre soon. In the words of my heart surgeon - whom I now have super respect for due to this quote: "I hope I never see you again!"

Ironically, he has a Sydney MBBS and I remember looking at his diploma or whatever it is and looking, "Damn, that looks nice" - and fuelled my then want to go to Sydney...

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Ironically, he has a Sydney MBBS and I remember looking at his diploma or whatever it is and looking, "Damn, that looks nice" - and fuelled my then want to go to Sydney...
BUT THE GUG SAYS USYD SUCKS! YOU MUST'VE IMAGINED THAT NICE, AWESOME SURGEON BEING A USYD GRADUATE!

Also, good work on your ATAR in spite of your medical problems. It really is a great achievement!

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Well, I hope I'm okay now =P

Less angina/chest pain than in the past. Which is always nice. But yes, two months out of my HSC (the end result obvious from the ATAR and marks I got) - one month before (with the attitude, "Why should I study for an exam which could be held seven months after I die?") and one month after (doctor says: no studying). I still did my EX2 work though - that was just reading and typing.

But thankfully, I shouldn't go back into the operating theatre soon. In the words of my heart surgeon - whom I now have super respect for due to this quote: "I hope I never see you again!"

+1 for surviving! =D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
+1 for surviving! =D
BUT THE GUG SAYS USYD SUCKS! YOU MUST'VE IMAGINED THAT NICE, AWESOME SURGEON BEING A USYD GRADUATE!

Also, good work on your ATAR in spite of your medical problems. It really is a great achievement!
Thanks guys =P

Still, I think the thing that got me raving on that certificate was that it was awarded by the Senate. That got me going :spin:

You can look forward to one of those iSplicer! That, you shall proudly display. Because seriously, it looks awesome - parchment, the red ink seal, ye olde English font and everything.

And Eddy, you seem to be wanting to do the same degree I want to! I'd love to combine the B Sc with Commerce but I don't know what to major in with the Commerce component!

NewiJapper

HSC
If you are comfortable with your subject, interested in them and understand them, then go for 10! Though, I would of taken another 2 units of a subject I liked ^^

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Thanks guys =P

Still, I think the thing that got me raving on that certificate was that it was awarded by the Senate. That got me going :spin:

You can look forward to one of those iSplicer! That, you shall proudly display. Because seriously, it looks awesome - parchment, the red ink seal, ye olde English font and everything.

And Eddy, you seem to be wanting to do the same degree I want to! I'd love to combine the B Sc with Commerce but I don't know what to major in with the Commerce component!
Well I would recommend Actuarial Studies if you're spectacular at maths but don't quote me on it because I'm only doing my HSC this year so I wouldn't know anything. =P

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Ive heard that you have a better chance of getting a higher atar with 12 units rather than 10 units, is this true?
Not technically true but more in the sense that 12 units means you can afford to stuff up in one exam and still get 99+.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well I would recommend Actuarial Studies if you're spectacular at maths but don't quote me on it because I'm only doing my HSC this year so I wouldn't know anything. =P
I'm not interested in that kind of thing though... I think I'd like modelling. That is, mathematical modelling =P

Statistics sounds nice. But Actuarial... well, I don't know.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I knew someone who went to my school who did 10 units. During his Physics exam, he broke down somewhat - and thus, he got an ATAR around 65.

Everyone thought he'd get around 90. But he got 65.

If you're a very good student, the two extra units won't make a big dent in your study time for other subjects - because you'll be naturally good at them anyway.

All the people at my school who got respectable ATARs of around 90 or higher did more than 10 units (though that was like... three people). Still.
Well even if he 'broke down somewhat' in the exam, his assessment mark should have minimised the damage to an extent.. I wouldn't think that just because he had a melt down in one exam (such as physics) his anticipated atar would drop by 25... that's just not right. So it seems like he slacked off/broke down in virtually all his units.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If breaking down in ONE assessment and our ATAR gets hit with a 25 drop, then we're all screwed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
He was ranked 1st in his class - he was the only one who did Physics.

That's what I know - but his fellow Year 12 people told me about his expectation of 90 (I'm not sure about that, I just took their word) - but I know from a teacher he got around 65.

decadentDee

HSC
Some people take the risk to do their HSC with 10 units, which basically means you have to make sure you score very well in all them and not screw up. The advantage to this is that you won't spend an extra 3 hours a week studying for an extra subject and you would have more time to focus and concentrate on your other 10 units.

Sticking with 12 units is a safe option, because it gives you the space and confidence to know that if you do screw up one particular exam, then you can make up for it by doing well in another exam. The only downside to this is that you'll be spending 3 extra hours a week studying and in some ways, you may not know which subjects to prioritise on.

Accidents do happen, unfortunately and there have been people in the past who've just simply had a bad day and screwed up their best subject.

When I did my HSC, Legal Studies was perhaps my best subject. I was scoring high in all my assessments and maintained a rank of number 1 throughout the year. What had happened was I began to 'burn-out' in Legal Studies towards the Exam Period and screwed the exam up pretty badly. I was glad that I was able to make up for it by doing well in my Biology exam.

I'd probably choose 12 units, just to be safe, but there's nothing wrong with doing 10 units either if you're confident that you can walk into the exam with 10 units. It's all a matter of personal preference, really.

tjhunt11

HSC
Ive heard that you have a better chance of getting a higher atar with 12 units rather than 10 units, is this true?
well the thing is if you think you can do well in all 10 units they only count the best 8 so, if you fuck up a subject in 12 unit they wont be counted :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)