10 units vs 12 units??? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I do 10 Unites, much easier to focus on the subjects that I actually do care about and I know I can get good marks. But I think the "bad" side of doing 10u is that you can't fall back on a subject if everything goes pear shaped.
If you want to focus the subjects that you KNOW you can do well & get good marks then go and do 10u or keep to the 12.

LouisaCar

HSC
10 units !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waste of time to do an extra 120hrs of a subject that will not be counted
&& will save time to improve on things that will count :)

JennaJameson

Swollen Member
HSC
sometimes when it hurts so much inside i like to go to the railway and get really close to passing trains

LouisaCar

HSC
uhmmmmmm that's lil different 2 topic but r u ok? is school efing you up

JennaJameson

Swollen Member
HSC
i just don't know anymore

it's just sometimes i don't know if i'm sad or if i'm always sad and it's just normal

jnney

lemon
HSC
I thought about this for a really long time.

If you want to do 10, then do it. The decision is different for everybody.

LouisaCar

HSC
I was in that same position a while ago. It's hard I know, and you feel like your life is just crap. Is there something big that has upset you and lead you along that road (...even a while ago)

JennaJameson

Swollen Member
HSC
i try not to think about it, the doctor put me on antidepressants but i don't think they were working and only made me tired so i've stopped taking them, sometimes i hurt myself just so i can feel something again

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^You need to talk to some people in Rl, I'm sorry you're hurting so bad.

I knw this is probs the least of your concerns atm, but if you want to do 10 units, just make sure you drop the right subject otherwise you'll have regret. But the extra frees should make things less stressful.

angellicvoices

HSC
N/A
i try not to think about it, the doctor put me on antidepressants but i don't think they were working and only made me tired so i've stopped taking them, sometimes i hurt myself just so i can feel something again
There have been millions of people, who have stuffed up their HSC, theyve gone on to do better things. Besides there are heaps more chances of either doing it again through Tafe or Oten and they wont penalise you for having done it once. I know how competitive the world can be sometimes. Sometimes the anxiety can be overbearing, but you need to see the bigger picture. Even if you cant get into the course the first time, theres so many other ways and opportunities to get into Uni. The HSC is not the end all you know. If youre able to see the bigger picture, then it will help you. If youre worried what other people may think of you, perhaps if you dont do so well, then remember that no-one really cares at the end how badly you do or if you stuff up. Yes its true, no-one cares if you stuff up. Try it out after a couple of years time. Ask someone if they cared that you failed the HSC 2 years ago. Remember this, stuffing up is actually a valuable learning experience!! Its how people learn about life. Plenty of people have stuffed up but have learnt valuable life lessons, which in many cases, has made them famous today. So yeah, please think of the millions of people around the world out there who would do anything to be in your shoes today. Theyre struggling to LIVE through hunger and poverty. But the funny thing is that they would do anything just to LIVE, so please dont thing about ending it when theres millions out there trying to survive........Lastly do some meditation it will help you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, most people who stress about the HSC tend to be the smarter ones anyway, the stress and anxiety that they put on themselves can actually make them underperform compared to if they had stayed calm.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Keep the 12 units if and only if you:
1) don't hate any one subject much more than others
2) believe you may have a major screw up.

Having said that, if you think you WILL really screw up in something, that's either a severe lack of confidence or a lack of effort to try and prevent it or you really can't not screw up (in which case you should consider changing subjects).
In this case, you can either:
1) recognise it and try harder
2) lessen your workload by dropping down to 10 units so that you can reduce the chance of screwing up any one subject (having no subject to 'back it up' may also push you to try harder in a way).

Either way, the best to make a decision within the first term and not to regret it later (so that you won't waste time regretting which will in turn make you regret more later on!). The optimal decision is the one with which you won't regret, no matter what the result may be.

carpe_diem

HSC
I do 10 Unites, much easier to focus on the subjects that I actually do care about and I know I can get good marks. But I think the "bad" side of doing 10u is that you can't fall back on a subject if everything goes pear shaped.
If you want to focus the subjects that you KNOW you can do well & get good marks then go and do 10u or keep to the 12.
+1
There are pros and cons of both. If you think that you can cope with 12 units, go for it! If it's becoming too much, don't be afraid to drop to 10. Is there any chance that you can drop to 11 units? Don't not drop to 10 units because of the mentality, "I'm gonna stuff up if I only have 10 units". If you end up with 10, just do your best in all of them. In the end, it what you feel confident in. Good luck with your choice!

rogerlam

HSC
sometimes when it hurts so much inside i like to go to the railway and get really close to passing trains
wtf? this has no relevance the the origianl question..
if you cant handle year 12, even thought its not even that stressful.. >_> then drop out and go tafe, there's always other pathways to uni

(i did 10 units, you have a lot of time on your hands)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)