10 units (1 Viewer)

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Did anyone do 10 units last year??
If so how did you go?

Im doing 12 units at the moment, but going into year 12, i really dont want to continue physics, as all i do is sleep ;)

What should i do?? Is having 12 units really that important?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
i did ten -- its fine , as long as you are totally happy with the rest of your subjects

having the extra time gives you more study time, it just depends on how efficiently you use it....

yea i started off with 13, then cut it to 10, and i still got a UAI over 90...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
I had 12 all year, ended up only walking in the hsc with 10. (real quick last minute decision).

I reckon 12 is good, cause half-way through the year you might decide you like phsyics and end up hating something else.

K8Y

I went through all of yr 12, and the hsc with 12 units. I liked all my subjects and was at equal standards at all of them.

the reason i kept up the 12 was because i didnt think my art mark would count - but it ended up ipt didnt! so now it seems that the whole yr of ipt was for nothin!

ellebelle

I'm in the same situation. I want to drop a 2 unit subject and go into the HSC doing 10, but our "school policy" states you MUST have a minimum of 11 units. It's turned into this big fuss where i've had meetings with the principal, subject co-ordinator, etc etc. I don't think i'll bother anymore. Esp. if people here are suggesting to keep 12.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I was about to walk in with 10u but decided to pick up ext 2 maths for safety so now it's 11. Uhm this is what my tutor told me that whether you do 12 or 10 you're still going to have to work hard and you can't slack off. So in a way it's advantageous to do 10u because you have less to work with. I dropped Physics btw. I didn't like it. But if you're double minded or you're one of those people who can freak out in exams and screw things up then just stick with it.

Pretz

i only did 8 units in year 12 because i finished software in yr 11. i never had more than 4 periods in a day and most days i only had 3. it made me so lazy.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I did 10. I dropped SoftwareD&D after year 11 (the teacher was hopeless, and everyone else was dropping it so there'd be very few face to face lessons...). I stand by my decision. It gives you an advantage over everyone doing 12 units or more.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I did 10. I dropped SoftwareD&D after year 11 (the teacher was hopeless, and everyone else was dropping it so there'd be very few face to face lessons...). I stand by my decision. It gives you an advantage over everyone doing 12 units or more.
True in theory, but in practice a lot of people getting very high UAIs did more than 10 units. I got 99.85 with 13 units, my friends who got 100 did 12 or 13 units...having more time is not necessarily that great an advantage. I think it's still better to have a backup in case you need to throw stuff out because of an unexpectedly bad exam, poor assessment mark or something like that.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

True in theory, but in practice a lot of people getting very high UAIs did more than 10 units. I got 99.85 with 13 units, my friends who got 100 did 12 or 13 units...having more time is not necessarily that great an advantage. I think it's still better to have a backup in case you need to throw stuff out because of an unexpectedly bad exam, poor assessment mark or something like that.
You must have great time management skills then in order to be able to do 13u and get 99.85.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

You must have great time management skills then in order to be able to do 13u and get 99.85.
My entire family, especially my mum, would have heart atatcks if anyone said that :D. My time management was woeful at times, I skimped on subjects to do extra practice on others....

BTW I played sport all through year 12 as well, I highly recommend it - you need exercise and it's a great way to relax :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC

My entire family, especially my mum, would have heart atatcks if anyone said that :D. My time management was woeful at times, I skimped on subjects to do extra practice on others....

BTW I played sport all through year 12 as well, I highly recommend it - you need exercise and it's a great way to relax :)
What subjects did you do?

I wanted to do sport but mum says it's a waste of time. I don't know she's got this warped idea that you should be sitting on your desk 24/7 to get a great UAI. She doesn't listen to me so I've given up!

This was my 100th post :D I made a century!!

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC

I wanted to do sport but mum says it's a waste of time. I don't know she's got this warped idea that you should be sitting on your desk 24/7 to get a great UAI. She doesn't listen to me so I've given up!
In year 11 I did
3 Eng
3 Maths
2 Phys
2 Chem
2 French
2 Eco

and for HSC I did

2 Eng Adv
4 Maths
2 Phys
2 Chem
3 French

In hindsight 3u English might have been worth keeping so as to throw out a unit of 2U eng. But I was a bit sick of 14 units after year 11 LOL! I did well in it but it scared me that the teachers did not appear to know what they were talking about, and I ended up regurgitating the marker's opinions to her since she was my teacher. I nearly died of boredom in eco.

I really think you should try and talk your mum into letting you do sport - obviously doing really intensive training would give you problems but 2 or 3 sessions a week would be ok. It helped that my school really encourages you to do sport in year 12, to the point of giving awards to those who compete in year 12 :D.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC

True in theory, but in practice a lot of people getting very high UAIs did more than 10 units. I got 99.85 with 13 units, my friends who got 100 did 12 or 13 units...
But I'd say thats just because in general, people who chose to do more than the minimum units are people who are more focused, and willing to put in more work...therefore, are also the people who are getting high UAIs.

Doing less is a definate advantage I'd say, but of course, if you're organised and willing, 12 units is completely do-able. I guess it's good to have a "spare" subject in case you bomb out on an exam, but if theres a certain subject you really don't like or that you do badly in, then theres really no point hanging on to it.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC

I really think you should try and talk your mum into letting you do sport - obviously doing really intensive training would give you problems but 2 or 3 sessions a week would be ok. It helped that my school really encourages you to do sport in year 12, to the point of giving awards to those who compete in year 12 :D.
Hmm I didn't think about school sport! Might actually do school sport on Wednesday's... no more going home at 12:30 though :/ :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
I reckon u should keep the extra units...most ppl waste their frees anyway! Don't be discouraged if you think your assessment marks in one subject are letting you down (unless its extraordinarily bad), keep it. The extra units should be seen as an emergency exit plan if there is a bad exam or wateva.

E.g Modern history is one of my best subjects....in the exam my entire class surprisingly bombed. Most people were relying on this as their strong subject, and their uai suffered. As a 13 unit person it didn't effect me.

If you can do extra units of english it's also recommended, because u know 2 *have* to count, so it just reduces pressure on advanced english. I hated 2u english, with a passion....and no1 can understand why i then chose to do 4u. But that was the best decision i ever made, i did well in the third and fourth units which scaled me well and 1u of adv was disregarded....final result: 99.95. Moral of story: if u can handle extra units without causing a decline in ur existing units, i would imagine its preferable - plus you learn more stuff and become a more well-rounded and educated individual!

timmii

sporadic attendee
Oh also on the sport thing - its much more healthy to maintain a balance, or else the stress just gets to you.

If you're not sure about being able to attend regular sessions of sport, join a gym. It's much more flexible. I did that, and although i went 2-3 times per week, i could vary when i went and how long i went for depending on my work/assessment schedule. Plus u can revise ur notes while on the bike :p

Pretz

"plus you learn more stuff and become a more well-rounded and educated individual!"

depends on what those extra units are though...

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Pretz
"plus you learn more stuff and become a more well-rounded and educated individual!"

depends on what those extra units are though...
Not really...I would imagine you would learn something interesting in every subject, or else people wouldn't do them.

I believe in knowledge for the sake of knowledge as well...

Shocker_85

This was my 100th post :D I made a century!!

Same here...
my parents think during year 12 i shudnt be takeing any breaks at all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)