100UAI possible? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Technically markers are meant to be impartial when they're marking English papers though - it'd be unfair if their prejudices and opinions came into their marking + they go through a rigorous process to ensure all markers mark in the same way and to the same standard + papers ar.e double marked. However, I'll admit you need to be lucky to get a question that you like or understand better.

andy100

HSC
seriously, i dont mean to be cynical but the english questions are all the same and its not hard to do well in them unless you dont answer the question

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
andy100 said:
seriously, i dont mean to be cynical but the english questions are all the same and its not hard to well in them unless you dont answer the question
Yea, they are quite generic.
But if you do Module B: Speeches and you looked at the 2004 CSSA paper, you would probably curse at the examiners (unless you studied Noel Pearson's speech... :cough: - not to be slack to him or anything)

andy100

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
But if you do Module B: Speeches and you looked at the 2004 CSSA paper, you would probably curse at the examiners (unless you studied Noel Pearson's speech... :cough: - not to be slack to him or anything)
with all due respect the CSSA paper isnt the hsc paper

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
If you were aiming at 100, you'd have every single speech covered...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Skywalker said:
If you were aiming at 100, you'd have every single speech covered...
True, but nonetheless people tend to place less focus on Pearson's speech for some reason - whether they're aiming for 100 or not.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
andy100 said:
with all due respect the CSSA paper isnt the hsc paper
But the HSC paper could ask a similar question...trial setters often tend to try to emulate the HSC papers, albeit not very well sometimes.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
Interesting.
I'm sure trial setters are influenced by what has been set in past HSC papers, and HSC papers from year-to-year are often similar in certain areas.
E.g. I've noticed that almost every CSSA Chemistry paper and HSC Chemistry paper since 2001 has asked the same question reworded...I'm sure this happens a lot.

By 2011, after about 10 years of using the same syllabus, I'm sure it's bound to happen though (but who knows...the HSC might be extinct by then :eek: )

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Grandor said:
Can you get a uai of 100?

Does only one person get it?
U could ask Laurie how one could go about getting a UAI of 100, he achieved this in 2004

anti-mathmite said:
Could someone please explain what year 10 cohort is, and what Year 10 has to do with your final UAI at the end of school..?
I think year 10 cohort, just means yr 10
At the end of yr10 u have to pick ur subjects for yr 11 and 12, and some subjects are scaled down, making it extremely hard to get a UAI of 100

Last edited:

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Q!

Q: Assume you topped in all subjects except for phys/chem (say, came 2nd)in an average high school, would that still be likely to get 100 if you came top 10 in the state for phys/chem HSC?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Could someone please explain what year 10 cohort is, and what Year 10 has to do with your final UAI at the end of school..?
Year 10 cohort just refers to the people who completed the School Certificate.
UAIs are percentiles based on the number of students who completed the SC, not the HSC.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sirius Black said:
Q: Assume you topped in all subjects except for phys/chem (say, came 2nd)in an average high school, would that still be likely to get 100 if you came top 10 in the state for phys/chem HSC?
I would presume that if you placed in the Top 10 in several subjects (in the state) you'd get at least 99.95 provided you got ~94+ in your other subjects.
In order to get a UAI of 100, I'm quite sure that you need an aligned mark of around 97-98 for every subject you do - or at least your top 10 units. Anything less, and I'm afraid you'll only get 99.95 (which really isn't good enough :p) *shrugs shoulders*

James747

HSC
So, would it be reasonable to say that its impossible for someone to get a UAI 100 if they attend a public school that's not even in the top 200, but topped all they're subjects at school and gets an aligned mark of like 98 for every subject.
Has this ever happened before?

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes. It seems to me that every year there is always just one or two UAIs of 100 who come from schools that no-one knows about. As long as you get HSC marks of 98 overall for everything, you'd probably get a UAI of 100. I think the average aggregate is like 97% or something, but 98 average would be a solid UAI of 100, I reckon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)