101 Advice for Summer Holidays (1 Viewer)

HSC
You guys must study every day for a solid amount of time and reward yourself with some joyous activities.

DO NOT have the mindset of "holidaying" for an entire week and planning to study the following, because this will most likely result in you delaying your studies for another week.

Last edited:

Anthel

HSC
N/A
I never watched a full game of cricket.. I dont know why but I just cant... my friends dislike this

Kaido

be.
HSC
Whilst OP's advice is solid, it is important to note that this NOT a guide. It's advice (ie. a compilation of opinions)

Doing well is doing what you do (not simply what others do) to the best of your capabilities. (Cliche, ironic and hypocritic? lol)

Oh, and beast the hsc. It's an examination for little kids. You'll get a load of more complicated and stressful things coming your way after it...

:lol:

Lithone

HSC
Bless this thread

One question though - I have maths tutoring (3U & 4U teaching ahead of school) with HW given, and I also want to revise all the 3U (including prelim) and 4U material already covered at school. Since that is heaps... do you have any tips on organising this huge lump of work?

Btw good job on those maths scores wow!!

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
Well honestly the hardest part for people is to manage their time and work efficiently + getting started into a rythmn and finally keeping it going for the whole year

But yes, life is much harder beyond the HSC

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I never watched a full game of cricket.. I dont know why but I just cant... my friends dislike this
Do it :) I used to hate it before year 6 and then I started watching some full games. It is just so fun to watch.

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
Bless this thread

One question though - I have maths tutoring (3U & 4U teaching ahead of school) with HW given, and I also want to revise all the 3U (including prelim) and 4U material already covered at school. Since that is heaps... do you have any tips on organising this huge lump of work?

Btw good job on those maths scores wow!!
It honestly isn't as big of a lump as you think it is! I reckon the hardest part is getting started and planning it all out. Do like the tutoring hwk first and then systematically revise each topic bit by bit, preferably at the same pace as school.

mreditor16

HSC
Very good write-up! I pretty much agree and endorse everything that has been said, especially regarding the impacts of how these summer holidays are utilised by the student. I literally wasted my summer holidays and had to work my ass of Term 1 and Term 2 2014 to make up for the massive deficit I had left behind.

However, I got one bone to pick -

Self learning definitely, people should stop getting things spoon fed to them
What you should do in the holidays
1. Make as much notes as possible in the holidays, at least minimum to your HY
As for self-learning and learning content in advance, I am actually quite against it. I never went ahead of the course and still did well. I personally would prefer students to be properly learning and revising the content that they have learnt instead of getting lost in the quest to learn ahead. e.g. in these holidays, for English, I would recommend practicing Discovery short answer tasks, refining your Discovery essay(s) and creative(s) to its best and revising fully the Discovery rubric. That is more than enough imo. If you end up having time left over, then maybe read some of your prescribed texts for the Modules.

Then for Maths, I would recommend revising all content learnt over the last term, catching up on any HW or textbook practice that has been left behind, and doing questions on all topics learnt over the last term from many many past trial papers. Then, if time remains, make sure all content learnt in first three terms of 2014 is solid and concrete, and maybe even practice some hard Qs on the topics learnt in the prelim course, as those topics are still tested in your HSC final exam, and even in some of your internal assessments, if your school wishes to do so (most do so, for HYs and trials). Also, the reason I say do trial questions is imo it is best to leave past HSCs until after trials, as you can rip through them gradually in lead up to your final exams, and also because it is best to do the types of questions that pop up in internal assessments to practice for internal assessments and likewise it is best to do past HSCs to prepare for the actual HSC exam. If that makes sense....

Then, for humanities and sciences, if you make notes, then make sure you get all your notes done for HSC content covered thus far. Also, do practice Qs (try to include past HSC Qs and/or past trial Qs) to consolidate. Then, if you have time left over, maybe do a bit of light reading over what you will cover in Term 1 2015 to introduce yourself the content you'll learn, but I really don't get why one would bother making notes for content you have not properly learnt yet.

Well, that's just my 2 cents. I do certainly agree with Kaido's opinion:

Whilst OP's advice is solid, it is important to note that this NOT a guide. It's advice (ie. a compilation of opinions)

Doing well is doing what you do (not simply what others do) to the best of your capabilities. (Cliche, ironic and hypocritic? lol)

Oh, and beast the hsc. It's an examination for little kids. You'll get a load of more complicated and stressful things coming your way after it...

:lol:
Good luck guys! :)

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
Yes I have to definitely agree with what you said @Mreditor16. What we present are just 2 different sides of a coin and it varies depending on how people like to study. You really cannot condone one being worse than another as they both have been shown to work. Some people are just better self learners and then when school comes by, it is just simple revision so doing it my approach is better. Some people like you prefer to learn the concepts first then do everything associated with it afterwards, so in that instance your way is better. However at the end the day, I believe that many people are not disciplined enough or not efficient enough to do things so close to the exam. By learning ahead, it does give you more room for error and time to practice questions or finesse things that you do not understand. For the most part, it is the learning process whilst making notes that is valuable and not the actual notes itself to be honest. Notes is also an excellent tool to condense things you have learnt for revision purposes as well. Its just a more organised approach.

That being said, both methods have its pros and cons and you should do what works for you. I do however believe that learning ahead whilst revising past concepts is probably the best compromise and most effective studying method for the general students.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)