11 units vs 13 units? (1 Viewer)

monomer

HSC
Hi guys, I feel really bad that my very first post here is a silly question like this, but I am really stuck :(... The thing is, I'm doing 13 units at the moment:
- 4English
- Japanese Continuers + Extension
- Visual Arts
- 2Maths
- Chemistry

Most of my marks are fine, but when it comes to maths and chemistry, my marks are really bad... So I was wondering whether I should keep both of them or if I should drop one and focus on the other(s)? Or should I keep both in case I need them for uni? Not that I'm sure of what I want to do in uni though, lol...

Any sort of tips would be greatly appreciated :)

ruchira2122

HSC
Don't feel to bad as this is also my first post, and it's answering a not-so-silly question.

Well in my case I had 14 units up until a few weeks ago. 4 of the units included economics and chemistry, both of which i wasn't performing too well in. I dropped economics and i found that i have much more free time in which i can now focus on chemistry... which i actually understand pretty well now :) It worked for me.

So, you might want to drop your weaker subject.. but saying that having 13 units does provide you with abit of a safety net.

anyway good luck with it

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The only silly question is the one not asked ;)

Oh and welcome to BoS you two ^^

If your marks are similar, i suggest dropping maths only because it has lower scaling. Otherwise, drop the subject you're getting lower marks in or hate/detest/find less interesting. As ruchira said, you'd have more time to spend on fixing up one of your subjects which is much better than spreading yourself thin and struggling in two subjects.

Tell us what you decide to do :)

absorber

HSC
The only silly question is the one not asked ;)

Oh and welcome to BoS you two ^^

If your marks are similar, i suggest dropping maths only because it has lower scaling. Otherwise, drop the subject you're getting lower marks in or hate/detest/find less interesting. As ruchira said, you'd have more time to spend on fixing up one of your subjects which is much better than spreading yourself thin and struggling in two subjects.

Tell us what you decide to do :)
Ignore scaling.

If your marks in each are both abysmal, (say, equally) I'd judge it based on the one you'd more likely require in uni (maths most probably) and balance that against the enjoyment of each.

If too many subjects lowers your marks, then I wouldn't compromise and just drop something. Hell, 12 units was too much for me.

Monsterman

HSC
Stick with 13 unit until you think its too much for you, but make sure you use the extra time that you "gained" from dropping the subject into your other studies.. dont just say you'll do it.. actually do it

monomer

HSC
Thanks for all your advice everyone xD
I'm kind of leaning towards dropping maths because I do like chemistry better, but I'm still unsure since I might need it for uni...

Stick with 13 unit until you think its too much for you, but make sure you use the extra time that you "gained" from dropping the subject into your other studies.. dont just say you'll do it.. actually do it
Haha I know what you mean - I have 6 free periods a week, all of which I've been using to do maths, but it doesn't help at all - it takes me a whole period to do a few questions and then it turns out they're all wrong. Even after my really pro-at-maths friends explain it to me, I still get things wrong. I wonder if it's worth all the time I'm putting in but not getting much out?

My mum is making me discuss it with my dad tonight - I hope he doesn't curse me as an Asian failure... :D

Nyxie

HSC
Do you do Mathematics of General Maths? If you do Math than you could always drop to general, which may be a smart option if you're not understanding your current course.

But ultimately, keep the subject you ENJOY - - - despite scaling, you will inevitably achieve in subjects you enjoy :D

I used to have thirteen units and I dropped math and went down to eleven units. Personally, I feel a lot lighter and my load feels more manageable because I enjoy every one of my subjects...

Good luck choosing! :cook:

monomer

HSC
@Nyxie: Our school does not offer General Maths D: So I have to either keep Maths or drop it completely lol

I can imagine how awesome it must feel to be free of all subjects you dislike... ;)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
The way you are describing i would say drop maths, then you can use that time for chemistry.

Nyxie

HSC
Hmm.. in that case- then go solely on what you actually enjoy- once you've made a decision you'll probably feel much better (at least that's what I'm like).

What do you enjoy more Math or Chem?

flightlessbird

HSC
You're better off dropping maths. I dropped it early last week, and it feels great, knowing that I will never ever have to solve another equation again - well not really, but you get the point. :D

monomer

HSC
Hmm... But if I drop Maths, will 11 units be risky? And also, if I do something science-y in uni, would it be better to do maths now and epic fail it and have it excluded from my ATAR or to just do a bridging course later?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
10 units is more risky. However if you have confidence in yourself, you should do fine.

Bridging courses are fun - but expensive, and if you fail at maths, honestly, you shouldn't even be attempting a maths degree at uni. Although sciences at uni teach science, not maths. Although someone can correct me on that.

flightlessbird

HSC
Hmm... But if I drop Maths, will 11 units be risky? And also, if I do something science-y in uni, would it be better to do maths now and epic fail it and have it excluded from my ATAR or to just do a bridging course later?
Well, IMO 11 units isn't risky. If you, however, feel that you need that extra "safety net" in case you fuck something up, then by all means, keep 13 units.

The problem with keeping Math is that you will essentially be wasting time doing a subject you know that you're going to fail. If you decide to study harder and try to ace it then that's a completely different situation.

How likely is it that you'll do something that needs Math in uni? Personally, I would hate to do a bridging course, and the only reason I dropped Math is because I know exactly what I want to do at uni, and it doesn't need Math. But since you're unsure as to what you will study in uni then it depends on whether or not you mind doing a bridging course.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Both duxes at my school - 11 and 10 units respectively.

10 units is the way to go, in my opinion. To me it seems quite obvious. Why would you do extra subjects that will not eventually count for you ATAR?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)