12 Hours to chose Year 11 Subjects! Help! (1 Viewer)

Snicho

HSC
I have to choose my subjects tomorrow and am still undecided with one subject
So far i have
English Adv
English Ext
Math General
SOR 2 unit
Biology
PDHPE

Now i am stuck between Modern History, IPT, and Legal
I currently do study IST as an elective but i dont really think that the IPT syllabus will interest me as much, aslo have heard that it doesnt scale well which i know shouldnt matter but it does.
I was in the 10% of History in my year, and like History but i am worried that History on top of Ext and Adv English will be to much work for me.
As for Legal not really sure why i want to do it, just to keep my options open i suppose.

I dont know what i want to do after Year 12 besides go to uni

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Advice will be appreciated.

Shan4curry

HSC
Looking at your three options to choose from, if you choose either of those, your units add up to 13.

Are the BOS suddenly allowing more than 12 units or is there a mistake? =S

If you ask me, you can't choose anymore subjects. You'd have to change your SOR II to SOR I for it to be a legitimate subject selection worth the required 12 units.

AnandDNA

HSC
Shan4curry said:
Looking at your three options to choose from, if you choose either of those, your units add up to 13.

If you ask me, you can't choose anymore subjects. You'd have to change your SOR II to SOR I for it to be a legitimate subject selection worth the required 12 units.
Our school allows us to have 13 units :shy:

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Shan4curry said:

You can do 13 units... or even 14 for that matter... It's 12 units minimum. It depends on your school, I'm pretty sure that BOS didn't have any restrictions on this.....

smushieex

HSC
out of the three options you listed, I guess your best bet would be History since you are in the top 10% right now and you actually like it.
If the workload becomes too much with ext. english, you can always drop ext. english? lol.
i doubt you'd want to.

you'll be given some time next year to adjust to your subjects anway, so if you don't like it after a few weeks, you can always change. (well, at my school anyway) o_o

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
some people at my school did 15u in yr 11. umm IPT is the only thing i can talk about. yes it is boring, but fairly easy. i like it because all of my other subs are relatively hard and it is my 'relax' subject. - hence the snoring smiley :)

bawd

HSC
Do MH. Doing LS to keep your 'options open' is a little stupid in my opinion, and its best just to do what you're good at.

zzzz12345

HSC
I would recommend for you to do Modern History. I currently do both English Extension I and Modern History and find that it is not difficult to manage the workload. I have a friend who does Modern History, Ancient History, Legal Studies, Society and Culture and English Extension I so Modern History and English Extension I is a pretty popular choice and not considered too excessive. Additionally doing a subject like Modern History is quite beneficial in aiding with essay structure (you get used to it) and I've found that knowledge I've acquired in Modern History can be applied to help contextualise other texts you do in e.g. English or issues you study in other subjects. More importantly you say that you enjoy Modern History and though this sounds cliché; if you enjoy a subject you won't find the workload as tedious and might actually enjoy the research/writing process. Not to devalue the subject; but I do not think that Legal Studies a prerequisite for any course at university and thus I wouldn’t consider it to be a 'keep your options open' but that's up to you. With IPT you need to remember that there are major works (with extensive documentation) and these drove my friends mad last year (IPT is the only subject they accelerate at my school) and they were in Year 10 thus a having a lower workload than in Year 12. But anyway, I believe you should pick Modern History because it's has a manageable workload when combined with Extension I English, you sound like you enjoy and are good at history and because history is simply awesome and a brilliant course; but overall it's up to you.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
modern.
i never did it but sounds good.
did legal yr 11 bored crap out of me so i dropped (oops shouldve kept it.. who knew how shitass chem would be!)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
modern = difficult at times but very interesting
legal = very easy but very boring

choose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)