1202 probabiility help please!!!! (1 Viewer)

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Upcoming tutorial quiz coming up nxt week and probability still killing me from high school to uni :( could anyone please help me with these few Q's, textbook doesnt even display the answer. Please do note that im not just seeking solutions, i really want to know how to tackle these problems

1. How many ways can letters of the word SPECIAL be arranged such that the letters SPE appear together and in that order

2. A school has 500 pupils. A pupil who is absent has a probability of 0.2 of returning to school tomorrow. A pupil who is not absent today has a probability of 0.6 of being absent tomorrow. If 324 pupils are absent today, how many will be absent 3 days from now

3. Josh plays a game with three other friends. To win, Josh has to roll the die with a value higher than each his friends'. Josh's friends have values 7, 11 and 2 respectively. If Josh rolls a 20-sided die three times, what is the probability that he wins against all three friends

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
1. Consider the string "SPE" as a unit. The set of elements we need to arrange now is {"SPE", "C", "I", "A", "L"} and this can be done in 5! ways.

There are 5 positions: _ _ _ _ _.

Pick up "SPE", how many places can you put this? 5.

Now we have _ _ SPE _ _ .

Pick up "C", how many places can you put this? 4.

Now we have _ _ SPE _ C.

Pick up "I", how many places can you put this? 3.

Now we have _ I SPE _ C.

Pick up "A", how many places can you put this? 2.

Now we have _ I SPE A C.

Pick up "L", how many places can you put this? 1.

Now we have L I SPE A C.

We have exhausted the "letters" and that ends the process.

Thus total number of ways of arranging these "letters" is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 5!

A question you may ask is why not add instead of multiply? or why multiply? This is because each event of placing down a "letter" is dependent. i.e. putting down say, "A", depends on what has already been placed down.

Think of multiplication as "and" and addition as "or". If you have studied set theory, then you can expand on this intuition greatly.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Upcoming tutorial quiz coming up nxt week and probability still killing me from high school to uni :( could anyone please help me with these few Q's, textbook doesnt even display the answer. Please do note that im not just seeking solutions, i really want to know how to tackle these problems

1. How many ways can letters of the word SPECIAL be arranged such that the letters SPE appear together and in that order

2. A school has 500 pupils. A pupil who is absent has a probability of 0.2 of returning to school tomorrow. A pupil who is not absent today has a probability of 0.6 of being absent tomorrow. If 324 pupils are absent today, how many will be absent 3 days from now

3. Josh plays a game with three other friends. To win, Josh has to roll the die with a value higher than each his friends'. Josh's friends have values 7, 11 and 2 respectively. If Josh rolls a 20-sided die three times, what is the probability that he wins against all three friends
Here's some hints.

The above cases are mutually exclusive and exhaust all cases where John wins (I think...I may have left something out due to carelessness, but hopefully you get the idea). Counting the no. of ways to get each case is a mildly tedious but doable exercise.

Then to finally find the probability we want, divide the total no. of ways John can win by the total no. of ways he can roll. (There may also be a more elegant way of doing the problem than case-bashing.)

Last edited:

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Here's some hints.

The above cases are mutually exclusive and exhaust all cases where John wins (I think...I may have left something out due to carelessness, but hopefully you get the idea). Counting the no. of ways to get each case is a mildly tedious but doable exercise.

Then to finally find the probability we want, divide the total no. of ways John can win by the total no. of ways he can roll. (There may also be a more elegant way of doing the problem than case-bashing.)
Thanks IG ! Your feedback never fails :)
Edit: thanks paradoxica

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)