Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hi!

I'm currently in yr 12 an studying 13 units and I am doing OK... however I just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Has anyone else out there done 13 units? Do you all think I am crazy?? Do you think I will get a better UAI if I drop to twelve or eleven??

Here's the run down

I do Adv. Eng with Extension 1 and 2 (not thinking about dropping any english)
Modern History (not dropping)
Chemistry (not dropping.... I managed to go from near bottom in the class at the end of yr 11 to 1st in our last assessment tasks, not wasting all that hard work and tutoring!!)
Biology (OK, Biology is soooooo boring, especially Blueprint of Life because we have done nearly all of it before, but I do pretty well in it, at least in the top 4, without a great deal of work)
Adv Maths with Ex. 1 (Maths is my worst subject, but I like it, and I still do pretty well in it!! I have a really good teacher... however it's not really my forte and I'm probably not going to use it after high school..... I'm doing pretty well in extension 1, but I was considering dropping down to just 2U.... but then I was also worried that 2U might get really boring and unchallenging)

Anyway, what would you do? Drop Bio, Drop maths Ex 1 or keep the thirteen????

I probably want to do media and communications, or journalism at Uni...... but at one stage I was thinking a health science (hence the chem and bio). But I'm not entirely sure at this stage!

I would love to hear your views!! I want to get as high a UAI as possible.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
how are you finding the workload because this really depends on you ... if you can do the thirteen units without lossing too much sleep (and time with family and friends) then do not drop a thing because you might have a bad day in on the exam so its better to be safe than sorry ... if on the other hand you are finding you get little sleep and struggling to keep up then drop your worst subject (and consult with the school) ... of course these are only my opinions ... they might not suit you ... but good luck anyway :)

Fi

I agree with Flyin' . If u can handle the workload then just stick with it.

Good luck with it all:D :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
you might be doing well with your 13 units, but you will be doing brilliantly with only 11

kini mini

HSC
flyin' has put it perfectly IMO.

YEAR12 , I disagree that you will definitely do better with less units. What do you think about the possibility of having one poor paper? And isn't it possible that the extra time may not improve marks, perhaps because the subject is getting as much time as it needs already, or that the extra time is frittered away?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
nope, less subjects=more time= more study=equals better knowledge of content= higher mark. Simple.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
nope, less subjects=more time= more study=equals better knowledge of content= higher mark. Simple.
Diminishing returns occur after a point I find. How many do you have?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Keep. You can 'weight' your study away from certain subjects closer to the HSC exams if you *know* it's definitely not going to be in your best ten units. Besides, you'll learn everything you like inside class.

Originally posted by Fi
I agree with Flyin' . If u can handle the workload then just stick with it.

Good luck with it all:D :D
I agree with both flyin and fi.It's really about how much work you're able to cope with.If you're comfortable with 13 units and happy with your current performance, i advise you stay the way you are. Good luck with your choices

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I did 13U and I agree with all those who have said that if you can handle it attempt it. You can always slack off in the subject you wan't use.

bobo123

HSC
it would depend if you have the selfcontrol to do some work during a free period that is created if you drop something

Personally i do 10 units, because im a lazy bugger and i thought that i would use the free periods constructively
but now all i do is play basketball so my choice of 10 units is pretty poor. :)

Originally posted by bobo123
it would depend if you have the selfcontrol to do some work during a free period that is created if you drop something

Personally i do 10 units, because im a lazy bugger and i thought that i would use the free periods constructively
the problem is that all your 10 units will be included in your uai so you can't afford to stuff up in any subject

asl2

yip... i'm in year 12 as well... i'm doing 12 units...

i dropped ext1 maths just b4 school ended... but I picked it up again when school started, stick with 13 units... ext 1 will scale your uai i think....

DON'T DROP BIOLOGY !!! ITS EASY !!!!

I'm doing

3u Maths
2u Std Eng
2u Phy
2u Bio
2u IT Vet (Online)
1u SOR

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by bobo123

I didn't usually work in frees, I had 5 a cycle and there might be 1 where I worked! Most of the time I stayed in the common room, played on the computer, read the papers, played cards...:D

I was pretty tired with 13 units though, so that'll be my excuse for lack of industry :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

I didn't usually work in frees, I had 5 a cycle and there might be 1 where I worked! Most of the time I stayed in the common room, played on the computer, read the papers, played cards...:D

I was pretty tired with 13 units though, so that'll be my excuse for lack of industry :p
At least you had free's, my scedual of 13U had NO FREE PERIODS, I was so envious of everyone else ...

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by McLake

At least you had free's, my scedual of 13U had NO FREE PERIODS, I was so envious of everyone else ...
Ouch! Did you have morning/afternoon classes as well?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

Ouch! Did you have morning/afternoon classes as well?
Yup, mon and wed morn for 4U maths.

It was bad when we had double maths periods in yr11, even worse when we had tripple maths periods (don't even ask, it was hell).

Mon morn's were a pain to, especially when they decided to schedual test in that early period.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i guess over time people learn to cope with early mornings ... its just like waking up to watch cartoons ... :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by McLake

Yup, mon and wed morn for 4U maths.

It was bad when we had double maths periods in yr11, even worse when we had tripple maths periods (don't even ask, it was hell).

Triple maths is mentally draining, i had it regularly :(

flyin': i guess over time people learn to cope with early mornings ... its just like waking up to watch cartoons ... :p
I could never get up to watch cartoons :p. Suffered through morning classes for French Ext for a year too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)