• Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Minai

Yeah, Lit Hau Tan
apparently he was the Dux of the state, if there was ever such a thing...
the thread about this is somewhere...
but he got a Band 6 in everything he did except cosmology or philiosphy..cant remember...
English Advanced
English Ext.1
English Ext.2
Maths Ext1
Maths Ext2
Physics
Chem
Economics
Computing Studies 3U (in 2000)
Agriculture 3U (in 2000)
Cosmology and Philosophy
we have a girl in yr10 now... she came top for latin in yr8 and top in jap ext last year at our school.
my school isn't that crap either, we're always in the top 15 of the state.

Twintip

I know who you're talking about, she does Philosophy with me now (and is in my sister's year). I'll be interested to see how she performs. Home-schooling for 7 years did help her do well in those subjects, I wonder how she'll go in the more mainstream stuff.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
alrite, i'm doin 13 & its fine atm

but 4 u - i'd say keep them all,

if u wanna drop any, drop bio coz maths ext1 is scaled high, BUT thats providing ur doing well in ext1 and also all ur other subjects, coz if u drop bio it only gives u 1 unit leaveway, meanin if u do badly in a 2unit subject 1 of the 2units has to be counted.

basically, for me - for my own peace of mind i have kept 13 units.

but on the other side how much time do u spend on ext maths?? coz it takes up hrs of time and then mayb thats y u'd wanna drop it.

also, do u feel like its a waste of time? doing subjects for 1 1/2 yrs and then maybe dropping them? i dunno,
:confused:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Minai

Yeah, Lit Hau Tan
apparently he was the Dux of the state, if there was ever such a thing...
the thread about this is somewhere...
but he got a Band 6 in everything he did except cosmology or philiosphy..cant remember...
English Advanced
English Ext.1
English Ext.2
Maths Ext1
Maths Ext2
Physics
Chem
Economics
Computing Studies 3U (in 2000)
Agriculture 3U (in 2000)
Cosmology and Philosophy
what the???????? congrats 2 him! wow, i cnt believe that... maths&eng ext 2... 25 units??? and a 100???? wow!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
hang in there!
I am doing 14 units (at the moment anyway)

People tell me that I am crazy (and I must admit that I am! and I am starting to think so too)

but think seriously, if 2 unit of your subject is a leisure, and that you don't have to do much for 1 unit of english, then I guess that's only 11 units that I am really doing.

But anyway, try to think like me (if you would) and think of the subjects that you enjoy, think of them as your hobby.

If you are really desperate to drop something, then I would say, keep maths, drop biology
(I did do biology before and dropped it after two weeks!)

maths can help your marks if you are good at it. :)

hope that helps

losty

whats the point of doing 14 units???? cause as if there isnt one that u know u will go worse in than any other subject therefore whats the point???

i do 10... i did 12 but decided to drop maths cause i was going shit.. ppl said keep it as a back up just in case u fuck up one of the others..thing is that it was a waste of time cause i studied and still didnt do well when i could spend that time on my other subjects...... i knew i would go the worst in maths therefore it wasnt a backup

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I see what you mean, but with my subjects I couldn't really pick which I will go the worst in, so it's not really clear cut. A lot of teachers have told me also that the idea of dropping units means you will do better in other units is flawed anyway, and it usually doesn't work out like that.

Anyway, I'm not dropping anything now, there is no point. We are finishing the extension maths course this week, and have already completed the advanced course, so then we just get to do past papers until the HSC so that is 3 less units that I will have to put a lot of time into after school.

Also, I will only have to sit 12 units of HSC exams because my major work for EE2 will get sent to the BOS after the trials.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by losty
whats the point of doing 14 units???? cause as if there isnt one that u know u will go worse in than any other subject therefore whats the point???

i do 10... i did 12 but decided to drop maths cause i was going shit.. ppl said keep it as a back up just in case u fuck up one of the others..thing is that it was a waste of time cause i studied and still didnt do well when i could spend that time on my other subjects...... i knew i would go the worst in maths therefore it wasnt a backup
I do 14 units cause I don't know which subject to drop. In another word, I love them all. I've gone through the stages of thinking about dropping chemistry or physics or French or 4U maths, I just realise I can't live without any of these subjects.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yea, its good 2 do the extra units if u dnt know which ull do crap in.

yea, and i agree, even if i did drop i wouldnt do any betta in my other units coz i would just spend the time bludging... like i am now.

k@man

drop wht u don't like!

blue

i personnally don't think droping the ext. 1 maths is a good idea!

i dropped ext 1 last year, but before all that i was dooing quiet okay in both 3 unit and 2 unit maths, and i hardly studied

this year i worked 3 times as hard as i did last year! but my mark for 2 unit is just going down so much!

i reckon the 3 unit really helps 2 unit!!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I'm not dropping anything now.... we finished the course for extension 1 maths today.....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Well, I'm not dropping anything now.... we finished the course for extension 1 maths today.....
have u finished 2u maths course as well??

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sugaryblue
hang in there!
I am doing 14 units (at the moment anyway)

but think seriously, if 2 unit of your subject is a leisure, and that you don't have to do much for 1 unit of english, then I guess that's only 11 units that I am really doing.

But anyway, try to think like me (if you would) and think of the subjects that you enjoy, think of them as your hobby.

maths can help your marks if you are good at it. :)

hope that helps
Joining in the conversation, late in the thread.
I'm the same as sugaryblue, with 14 units.

In my case, however, I have IPT as my 'leisure' subject. It's easy, but I like it and I'm scoring well in it. As for dropping? I had considered dropping 2U Maths + Ext 1 Maths at the end of last year, only because I FAILED MISERABLY (We're talking bottom 5% here!).

Though, I perservered and continued with the studying and decided to get my act together with my maths. I couldn't be happier. As sugary has said, if 2 units are 'easy' for you, (e.g. biology), then you'll do it anyway and you'll do well in it, even if it doesn't scale as well, it's good to have it. (IPT for me), which leaves 12 units. Come HSC time, I won't be concentrating on S.O.R. (1 unit) or English Adv. (I am hoping to use Ext1 and 2 English as my 2 compulsory units, better rankings, better scaling, 'tighter' candidature).

My two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)