1300 word essay (1 Viewer)

youix

HSC
Hey guys,

I need help my Module A essay is almost 1300 words. I tried to cut down but it's not possible anymore. My teacher told me to add more camera techniques for Metropolis. What should I do? I mean, it's full of context and quotes and techniques. I got a 14/20 for it. If I try to adapt it in the exam, I'll add more words and probably won't have time for other essays :/

teridax

HSC
N/A
1300 words is amazing so long as the info you have down pat is relevant to the Q. But if you go in with a prepared essay, chances are, 1300 words is too long and you can definitely cut down the word count to make it more succinct in conveying what you know (<-- this is a common downfall with many students who have fantastic ideas but cannot articulate themselves in the most concise way possible, thereby losing marks for poor expression). Sometimes with prepared essays, you can just cut your effect of the textual evidence in each paragraph to just the very generic explanation of meaning, as the subsequent analysis requires more words to answer the question (which obviously has to be more unique). It's what I was able to achieve since all of my prepared essays are 900-950 words.

And yes, adding techniques appropriate to textual form is key in any essay, not just Mod A.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
1300 words is amazing so long as the info you have down pat is relevant to the Q. But if you go in with a prepared essay, chances are, 1300 words is too long and you can definitely cut down the word count to make it more succinct in conveying what you know (<-- this is a common downfall with many students who have fantastic ideas but cannot articulate themselves in the most concise way possible, thereby losing marks for poor expression). Sometimes with prepared essays, you can just cut your effect of the textual evidence in each paragraph to just the very generic explanation of meaning, as the subsequent analysis requires more words to answer the question (which obviously has to be more unique). It's what I was able to achieve since all of my prepared essays are 900-950 words.

And yes, adding techniques appropriate to textual form is key in any essay, not just Mod A.
How many words do you recommend memorized essay to be? around 1100 mark?

Flop21

HSC
1000 words aim for. I've heard people having essays 900 words which is good, because they are prepared to adapt it to the question i.e. add in stuff to make it answer the question.

You're going to have to cut it down. Look for anything that is not relevant or is a bit too much 'telling the story' or any waffling. I would say cut out anything that doesn't answer the question, but obviously you don't know the question yet.

You're probably getting 14/15 because you're not answering the question. If you just spit out a memorised essay you'll get low marks, you need to seriously adapt it to the question and make sure everything you say is relevant to the question.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
max. 1000 words tbh. 1100 would be pushing it imo.
Well shit.... All my essays are around 1200 words. I did the maths and it gave me 1/2 a word per second which is quite a lot i guess

PhysicsMaths

HSC
If you can manage to make your essays very concise, with every single point referring to the question, you can probably get full marks with 900-1k words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)