14 units - am i wasting my time? (1 Viewer)

vron7987

HSC
Hi everyone i know its a fairly late decision that i probably should have made before my hsc year...I'm considering dropping a subject so i can maximise the time spent on other subjects but i would like some opinions from other people since I won't be able to go and see my careers advisor until next yr.

Okay i'm currently doing 14 units for the HSC, 2 of which i completed as a a part of the 2006 cohort (french continuers -> 90). So then this year i have 12 units and to hopefully give u some idea on where i stand with them here are my assessments so far and my yr 11 results
adv eng 12.5/15
eng ext 1 - no assessments
eng ext 2 - 15/15
2u maths - 11/15
legal - 18.5/20
economics - not sure but the teacher said he i ahd a v. good essay so around a 18/20?
chemistry - 19/20
i came first in all my subjects in yr 11 except maths (10th)

from this it would be obvious that maths would b the one to drop, but i'm not concrete on the path i want to take at uni - i wish to do a combined law degree but i'm not sure of what i want law to be combined with!:) not having 2u maths could be a potential bitch regarding assumed knowledge in courses!! grrr also my poor marks hav a lot to do with the fact i am lazy with this subject, so this has provided me with a swift kick up the but. i'm hoping to get the highest UAI possible for me...

so i was considering dropping legal studies since it is a LOT of hard work to get a good score and yet is not rewarded compared to my other subjects with scaling and what not. i no if i drop anything my teacher is going to kill me. anyway i greatly appreciate ur thoughts and have a a great holiday:wave: thanks everyone -xxx-

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
If I was you I wouldn't drop anything. I did accelerated IPT and completed it in the HSC in 2005 meaning in 2006 I only had 10 units but all up for my HSC I had completed 12 units.

But if you absolutely don't think you can keep up with doing 12 units this year then by all means drop something because you at least have the other 2 units to fall back on making 12 units. But 12 units is very doable in fact most HSC students do 12 units you just need to organise your time more effectively.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
14 units is hectic. My advice try and wait until the half yearlies, see how you feel about the subjects so far and your results. Happy holidays.

konstantine'

HSC
i think you should keep your 12 units. you seem to be performing well in all your subjects, including 2U maths. besides i don't recommend that you NOT do any maths in your hsc year. another thing, even if youre doing 20 units or whatever, it's not a 'waste of time' if you get the UAI you want/need (provided you work hard at it).

jessdoit

HSC
You could just keep working with your 12 units for the mean time... I mean some people decide that they can't take it and drop something just before trials? Or even before trials?
Otherwise this is a tough decision you're making since 12 is fairly manageable but at the same time you're doing pretty well in all your subjects. I'm envious lol.

tezza6189

professional time waster
HSC
I did 13 units for my HSC and it was manageable, but then again I understand both legal and eco are a LOT of work. Nonetheless, 12 units is not that big an amount and you should be able to do fine with good time management. I wouldn't recommend dropping 2unit maths, because as you have said, a lot of courses do require some degree of maths as prerequisites.

jaaaaay

HSC
i think you should drop something... 14 units is A LOT!! o_O

heh... looks like maths is the 'worst' out of all your subjects,
but that's only because you're doing so well in all your other subjects...

maybe drop the one you like the least... would that maths too? if so, i suggest drop it - you can do bridging courses beforehand for whatever course you want to do =]

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I agree with jaaaaay - drop the one subject you enjoy the least. You're doing well in all your subjects, so by dropping one you're able to dedicate more time to the rest, therefore giving you the chance to improve on your already stellar results.

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
Drop the one you least like, I went from 14 units to 12 and it was the best decision I made.
I'd drop the one you aren't the best at because it will hinder your UAI in the end.
As for worring about assumed knowledge, there are ways around that if you're motivated enough, and besides you'll regret not dropping it now if it turns out you didn't need it.
My advice is worry about your future yes, but don't do it so much that it ruins right now, be happy with what you're doing now.
Although if there is nothing that is stopping you from doing 12 units this year besides lack of motivation and study dropping one isn't going to help that.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Too see how much your marks (and scaling) affect your UAI try using Sam and see what you get. It's pretty accurate but not 100%.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Pretty accurate with HSC marks, but will give you some idea of possible seniors however whatever estimate it gives you don't take it as fact for a close to accurate estimate you need to wait till hsc results are released a day before uai.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)