• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

14 units... (1 Viewer)

Bl0nDi3

HSC
i do 14 units for yr 12 but 2 units is a tafe course which is only on tuesday after school till 6 so its practically 12 units... my teachers suggest i drop maths extension becoz im not doin well about 50% ...though this is with absolutly no study... so i really need sum advice from past hsc students will i have time to do all this? and extra attention on maths???

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I suggest you drop down to maybe 12 units. 14 is too many if you want to perform well in all of them. If you're willing to put more effort into maths, then do so and keep the subject. If you hate it, don't do it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you're not going to put any effort into studying for maths, then you may as well drop it, what good will it do for you if you keep it? Unless you are willing to commit yourself and catch up quick smart, you could consider keeping it. But then again, 14 units is hectic and is a significantly larger workload compared to 10-12 units. Think clearly and make your decisions wisely. Good luck. ;)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
one thing is for certain. drop something. 14 Units i found was a huge burden upon me, so i had to drop visual arts to go down to 12. that saved me heaps.

if you can catch up with 3U maths, and if you can promise yourself that u can do well, go for it. if not, then dropping 3U is a wise choice. gives u more time to concentrate on ur other subjects.

remember u can always drop units at any time up to the start of the actual HSC exams.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
3U maths is a subject you have to be prepared to work hard at. If you're not going to put in the work, you should drop it because it's going to draw your focus away from your other subjects.
It really depends on you as to whether 14 units is too much. I did 13 and had no trouble whatsoever keeping on top of everything, and did well.
If you're going to put in a lot of effort I don't see why 14 units is too many, unless you're going to have a lot of major works, in which case I'd suggest you do drop something.

P

pLuvia

If you don't like maths ext 1 then drop it, or if you are doing bad at it. Or if you are willing to try harder then don't drop and keep the 14 units if you think you can handle it

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
i was in the same position as you, i was doing maths ext. 1. I am more than capable of doing well in it but was putting almost 0 effort into as it didn't interest me in anyway, however i kept it promising myself i would sit down and do some work for it...but it never happened :p so at end of year 11 i dropped it and now i don't have to worry about that shit :p sorry to all those people who enjoy maths :p

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
What career path do you have in mind? Don't fret if you don't have any. By the way, is the TAFE course a TVET one? Accounting? If it is, then don't drop accounting whatever you do. I did the course and aced in it - It was my only band 6! Regarding maths, you still have time - To go tutoring etc...But in a nutshell, youve got to drop the worst subject now!...You won't feel like it as the race gets tighter later on. Do you like maths? Ask yourself that. Are you willing to step up a notch? You need to tackle the worst topics first, some good textbooks are Maths in Focus (Great for explanations and basic problems), HSC Fast Track (Great for "sectioning" and the formulas), Accelerated Learning (Pinkish-purple - Also great at explanations). Look in Dymocks, Angus&Robertson etc. You need to know your problem areas - Lack of knowledge about how to use the formulas is probably the main problem. In a nutshell, do lots and lots of questions i.e. practice! Also, make sure you ask lots of questions - Don't be embarrassed, that's how you learn. You've still got 8 months...Best wishes!

J

jakenorris666

14 units? It's compulsery to do at least 12 for us, and some of them a coping easily with 15... Also, I love lamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)