• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

15 Units?! What should I drop? (1 Viewer)

unusedusername

HSC
Currently going into: EX2, MX2, Physics, Chem, Modern, History Ext Definitely keeping EX1 and MX2. I'm doing equally well in Physics, Chem and Modern. Need to drop a 2U subject. Chem: I don't like it but it's easy marks and less time consuming. Also good for BSc which I might do. Physics: Very interesting but not great teacher and low achieving group of other students compared to other schools. Modern: Interesting and useful for understanding the modern world but very time consuming (research, reading). Could help develop skills for Law or Government, which I might also do. If I drop Modern, obviously I won't be able to do History Ext. I'll probably do equally well in EX2 and History Ext, which are the two MOST interesting subjects I'm passionate about (beside MX2). Requires a lot of self discipline to work consistently, but I struggle with procrastination and overestimating my ability to complete Herculean tasks within a time frame. No ideas for major works yet.I should probably choose one, but any chance of doing two? If I do I'll be doing 13 units with EX2, MX2 and Ext History. Any advice would be really helpful, esp if you did these subjects or 13 units. Thanks.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Annother option would be if you're really interested in the History path you could go, MX2, EX2, Hist Ext go for 11 units?

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
However if you're set on doing 13 from what I have read drop physics and do 13 units.

nightweaver066

HSC
Dan895 said:
Annother option would be if you're really interested in the History path you could go, MX2, EX2, Hist Ext go for 11 units?
I think i've read somewhere before that you need to do a minimum of 4 subjects. Someone confirm?

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I think i've read somewhere before that you need to do a minimum of 4 subjects. Someone confirm?
Yes, I remember reading about that now. However I wonder what constitues annother subject you know, like Chem, phys and bio are all science but they are counted as different subjects. But then again chem and phys are different to a Extension subject so I'm not sure

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it sounds like Chem or Physics to me...but I lean toward chem if you actively don't like it. Modern won't be so bad or physics because you seem more interested.

I'm a little lost though, His Ext you need to do 2 units of history under it so how could you modern anyway?

Also keep in mind four subject rule.

unusedusername

HSC
Yes, you do have to do 4 subjects and 2U of Modern History and History Ext on top is considered to be 1 subject while the sciences each count as a separate subject. I'm leaning towards dropping Chem... (Yeah if I drop modern, I won't be able to do ext history)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing 12 units now but I'm actually like actively summarising and doing questions, and all that shizz which is taking up heaps of time, I think anything more than 12 units would drive me mental but to each their own I guess.

nifkeh

HSC
Maybe drop chem? you seem least interested in it

such_such

HSC
Maybe just let time decide. Give them all a try for around 2 weeks and you'll know which ones you'll want to choose. Doing 3 extensions needs HEAPPPPPPPPS of time, I can't even imagine. I don't even think you can procrastinate and get a good night's sleep with them.

shongaponga

HSC
If Chem is the subject you least like, then it is also most likely the subject you will neglect when studying for trials and the HSC comes around. Getting a high score in Chem(band 6) in the HSC is extremely difficult because of the marking guidelines; therefore it demands a certain amount of study time(on top of the extreme workload you would already have with 3 extensions). Chem would be the subject I drop if I were you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In that case, I definitely think you should drop Chem. If you don't like studying you will put it off and it is NOT a subject you can cram.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)