16 year-old girl sails into the distance (1 Viewer)

murphyad

HSC
I'm not sure if this has already been suitably threaded, but I get the feeling that 16 year old Jessica Watson, who started her global circumnavigation attempt yesterday, may not be coming back.

Sail-World.com : She's off! Jessica Watson departs Australia - but for what record?

Of some concern is her mother's lack thereof: if I was the parent of an intrepid teenage world circumnavigator, perhaps I'd be a little more wary of letting my kid sail off into the big blue.

But I'd be interested to hear: do you think this kid has got the right stuff? Is there a certain level of parental culpability involved if she doesn't make it back (and here's hoping she does)? Or should we just let young people pursue their dreams - even if it means throwing the rest of their life away?

Last edited:

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
What if she gets raped by a merman in international waters

WHOS JURISDCITICION DOES THAT FALL UNDER?

and is a merman human or human enough to be treat as one in the world police court of law

murphyad

HSC
I assume it falls under the jurisdiction of the submerged nationstate that the merman hails from.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
"While she no doubt has the internal grit and emotional toughness to see it out, one must wonder if she has the physical strength to make a serious repair enroute. "

Hahah what
according to who?
16yr old girls are nuts at the best of times

pman

Banned
HSC
signs of bad parenting:
1. Would rather kid die attempting to sail around the world than live a long life without sailing round the world

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah he is a dumb cunt
of course he could stop her, dont give the slut a fucking pink yaught for starters

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Murphyad you should get a hold of the Weekend Australian magazine from months back, Kate Legge did the best piece on her.

Originally I was like 'omfg why would you do that and how could her parents let her go' but now I'm totally for it. Her mentor, some old grand explorer, makes the really good point that kids today are so encouraged to be mediocre and care most about fucking other young people (especially girls) and for a 16 year old to even dream about doing this, let alone actually doing it, is the most remarkable and exciting thing.

It's also a bit insulting to say her mother doesn't care. She does, a lot. But she also recognises that even at age 16, that girl is an individual human being and can make her own decisions.

I say go wohoo and I'm envy of her courage.

If she dies it will be tragic and I will be upset, but I'll always remember her as the girl who went after her dreams, no matter how much people tried to wrap her up in cotton wool.

absorber

HSC
She's an idiot, and her parents should be ashamed of themselves

HSC
Uni Grad
If she gets into a pickle and someone has to go rescue her, plox tell me the stupid family is payin for it.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Is she hot? Just cos like, she's gonna die and it'd be a waste if she was hot

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
if there are any half smart pirates out there, they will be searching for her tbh
why wouldnt you
imagine the ransom etc
he route is fairly well known (correct me if im wrong) how hard would it be to find her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)