>18 yrs o +defacto/marriage (>12 mths)= youth allowance (1 Viewer)

missrockinrio

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I just started first year of uni and am homestaying. Problem is, I have to pay half of my homestay money (abt $500/mth) with a pathetic job (first job) that pays me $10 an hour (cash-in-hand). I get no allowance and i'm totally pov.

The only way for me to get youth allowance is by declaring i'm "independent". I can't do the family allowance test thingo because the family income is out of that bracket. I've heard one of the ways to be "independent" is to marry or have a defacto relationship.

Since I'm homestaying, can I say I have a defacto relationship with one of the other roommates? How does centrelink assess whether you are in a true defacto relationship? Must I work part-time (proper taxed job) during this defacto relationship? Or is the criteria ONLY based on the marriage/defacto relationship?

Thanks guys!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The best way to prove that you're in a de facto relationship is by filming sex tapes of you two and sending them in (to me).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
The best way to prove that you're in a de facto relationship is by filming sex tapes of you two and sending them in (to me).
:rofl:

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
centrelink are generally complete arses to deal with. they will lose your application, or not lodge it, or tell you to bring certain documents and when you arrive you discover they need more so your application is delayed further.
however, once you finally have everything up and running it's usually okay (until they make an error and overpay you and send you a bill in the mail to fix up their own error...)

first step is to lodge an intention to claim, that way (if you're successful) they will back-pay you to that date.

here's the info on how to qualify as independent:
Youth Allowance qualifications page

taken from that page:
You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

* are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances)

To qualify as independent on the grounds that you have been in a de facto or marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months, the 12 months must have been while you were over the age of consent in the state or territory you live in.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
Or depending on when you left school, if you have earnt over $1500 or so, you can be independent.

Try and see if you can do some chores for the homestay family to reduce the rate a bit. But that $500 a month is pretty standard rate anyway. I think homestay is much more better for students as everything is included. If my odl homestay family wasnt in a suburb with not so good transport, id still be living with them.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you mean $18 525 in an 18 month period. $1500 is hilarious.

Anyway

centrelink said:
When am I Considered Independent for Youth Allowance Purposes?

If you apply for Youth Allowance, you will be assessed to see if you are considered independent or not. You only need to meet one of the criteria below to be considered independent.

If you are considered independent, parental income and a family actual means test will not be taken into account when working out how much you get paid. If you are considered dependent, a Parental Income Test and a Family Actual Means Test will be taken into account when working out how much you get paid.

You are considered independent if you are aged 16 or over and:

* have been out of school at least 18 months and earned an amount equivalent to 75 per cent of the National Training Wage Award Rate in an 18 month period before lodging a claim, or
* have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged), or
* have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
* are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances), or
* have been assessed as having a partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment (or a Better Assessment completed before 1 July 2006). You will be assessed as independent only for the period you are assessed as having a partial capacity to work. Please Note: This criteria does not apply if you are undertaking full-time education or an Australian Apprenticeship.

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

* are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
* are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home, or
* are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age
* have, or have had a dependent child
* are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances)
* have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.

To qualify as independent on the grounds that you have been in a de facto or marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months, the 12 months must have been while you were over the age of consent in the state or territory you live in.

[ return to top ]
An Approved Activity

You need to satisfy the activity test by undertaking approved activities. These can be full-time study or training, full-time looking for work or voluntary work, or a combination of activities which make up a full-time activity load, for example part-time study and on-the-job training while working.

Approved activities generally include some appropriate education or training. This does not apply if you left school before 1 July 1997, or if you apply for Youth Allowance (or stop studying) within three months of your eighteenth birthday.

If you are under 18 and you have not finished Year 12 (or equivalent):

* you will usually have to participate in full-time education or training to qualify for Youth Allowance, or
* if full-time education is not appropriate, you have the option of entering an activity agreement requiring you to undertake a range of approved activities.

You may be able to get a temporary exemption from undertaking full-time education or training in some circumstances.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/intern...001d5577!OpenDocument&Highlight=2,independent

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
proper title of this thread "help me scam centrelink/australian taxpayers"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)