1st Assessment - Globalisation task (1 Viewer)

snowbunny

HSC
hey i was wondering what countries everyone did for this task....
what country do you recommend to do?
which country has the most info (easiest to get to)?
what mark did you get?

thanks! any help would be great!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hey i was wondering what countries everyone did for this task....
I did China.

what country do you recommend to do?
China or India

which country has the most info (easiest to get to)?
China.

what mark did you get?
I did the case study for 3 assesments (pretty much the same thing all 3 times) 17/20, 18/20, 19/20

Last edited by a moderator:

a8o

HSC
Rafy said:
I did China.

China or India

China.

I did the case study for 3 assesments (pretty much the same thing all 3 times) 17/20, 18/20, 19/20

Yolu got better each time - too bad there wasnt an explicit case study question today. you wouldve hit the 2-0.

nitro.vo

HSC
my question is :Explain how globalisation has had an impact on an economy other than Australia. Discuss and evaluate the strategies implemented by the government to encourage the economy to benefit from globalisation.

I'm doing india.. I've had so long to do it and ive left it to the last ~2 weeks to start actually putting in work for it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
nitro.vo said:
my question is :Explain how globalisation has had an impact on an economy other than Australia.
I've had so long to do it and ive left it to the last ~2 weeks to start actually putting in work for it.
Same, except that I'm doing China and i have 10 days left to do it...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A few ideas regarding china.

(in a nutshell, this is about 5% of what you can talk about, you'll have to research much of this yourself ;))

Reforms.

- under Deng Xiopeng; move to a mixed economy, allowing the price mechanism to function.
- Tax reform, Special economic zones, removal of trade barriers
-These reforms allowed the effects of globalisation to occur

Trade

- 3rd biggest exporter, Exports are greater than imports (meaning a significant Current Account Surplus)
- Composition and direction, moving from agriculture to manufacturing.
Joined WTO in 2001

Investment

- Flows of FDI.
- Many foriegn companies investing due to their low labour costs.
- The potential market is a billion people! (Growing middle class, whoes growing demands for more expensive goods are going largely unsatisfied)

Foreign Exchange

- Yuan, crawling peg to the US dollar ( Introduced in september 05)
- Is 25% undervalued, This causes a significant competitive advantage!
- US calls for the adoption of a flexible system.
- Wont happen quickly, due to their insolevent banking system.

Economic growth

-Fueled by effeciency improvments (.ie technology from foreigners, removal of protection forcing industry to become efficent to compete)
-Investment in Capital goods
-GDP growth Sustained at 9% over the last decade

Quality of life

- HDI
- Development, larger disposable income etc
- However Inequality is great, East v West. Most wealth is now concenrated on the eastern and soutehrn coastlines.
-Rural china still relies on subsitence living

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
look at some of the general effects of globalisation (that general sort of stuff should be in your book) and then apply it to your case country.

So you look at things such as development strategies, and then effects on trade, quality of life investment etc.....

You'll have to researcheach of those things looking for the current trends/stats, the trends sine globalisation took hold, etc....

Im not sure how much information is avaliable on Mexico though, start with a few google searches. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Anyone got links on China's economy in relation to impacts of globalisation on China? Thx.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I might do Poland as it is in our text book-Leading edge. Teacher recommended that we did it.

It isn't weighted. Not going to cover it in class as it may not even be on the hsc. She said she will read through them though.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I would be most suprised if next years globalisation question doesnt allow the use of the case study.

MingGe

HSC
too many ppls do china then u have to compete to gain good marks :(

Always

HSC
Our school requires us to do China.

It doesn't matter that there's a lot of competition. If your research on China is more substantial than someone else's on Poland, for example, then you will always get the better mark.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, exactly, it shouldnt matter what you do. The board has proper guidlines in place to prevent such problems you highlight mingGe. As long as you include the information, and do all that question requires, you will get the marks. There is no disadvantage by doing a more popular case study.

China is popular as it is to be honest probally the best example to highlight the effects of globalisation. There is an abundance of information on it. You are much better of doing china, than another country that may not have as much information avaliable, or that dosent demonstate globalisation that well.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I just finished it a couple of hours ago and it's about 2700 words, spent most of the weekend doing it, did China and had heaps of info to read and interpret. Looking for a mark of 16+/20.
We were allowed to do any economy other than Australia of course.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
My teacher said that they decided not to put a case study question on next years HSC at ALL...she went to some marking thing.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Loz_metalhead said:
My teacher said that they decided not to put a case study question on next years HSC at ALL...she went to some marking thing.
umm well they wouldnt discuss the possible contents of the actual paper publically at all...security is tight in that respect. Not to mention the paper hasnt even been drafted yet.

I would find it MOST suprising if the need for a case study didnt appear. For three reasons mainly:

1) The change of the syllabus for the 2006 HSC, from the word "should" to "MUST" learn a case study.

2) Even if a question dosent directly ask for a case study, one should still be included (in fact it is probally essential) in a general question on globalisation as an example. (e.g as per this years question)

3) There are 4 essay options. Its almost guarrenteed that a globalisation question will arrise in any exam, considering it does comprise of an ENTIRE topic in the course (and there are only 4 topics)

shanz76

HSC
our school makes us do china too. but to get full marks yu need to stand out. its probably easier to do so if your doin a country thatno one else is doing. but it means your going to have to do alot of work because info isnt that easy to find on most countrys other than india, china, and the tiger economys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)