1st Year B Nursing (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If you want to be healthy, you should be drinking your tea black. Also, green tea isn't that bad. I tried it once when my parents were going through a china phase.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol! a china phase..interesting..what else did that involve?
i figure milk is ok because i get calcium *cough*minisculeamount*cough*..i like it ok? :eek: haha..i just thought i might do green tea every now and then, but yeh, then found out there's no real need so eh

i also read, that you shouldn't have more than 4 cups of tea a day, because it actually inhibits iron absorption (that and you'll be peeing all day)..so don't have tea close to meal-times

looks like i got this thread back onto the subject of health, if not nursing, woo! :p good too, because this is all so fascinating...... haha

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
em_516 said:
lol! a china phase..interesting..what else did that involve?
They went to china for a holiday so they wouldn't shut up about it. We ate a lot of chinese for a while after that.

em_516 said:
looks like i got this thread back onto the subject of health, if not nursing, woo! :p good too, because this is all so fascinating...... haha
Yeah. So, what are you wearing?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
a great big carrot suit, because carrots are healthy for me and this suit is oh so comfy AND stylish, win all round!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
em_516 said:
The_highwayman (dude wtf is your name haha): i reckon it's better to just put in a small amount of milk..don't pour just sort of..drop it in there lol..imo, it's better to put less in than tonnes..that and if it's too strong for them, they can go back and put more milk in if they want
My name is Matt.

I put more than a drop.
I can't give a quantitative estimate though :(

EDIT: it's good to have milk in ur coffee/tea because caffeine inhibits the absorption of calcium, so u should have milk there to overcome the effect.

or something like that :p

em_516

bludging..
HSC
The_highwayman said:
My name is Matt.

I put more than a drop.
I can't give a quantitative estimate though :(
ah! he has a name! mine's emily, in case you couldn't figure haha

i didn't really mean a drop, in the true sense of the word..maaaaybe..a dollop? more than a drop, less than pouring for 3mins..the best indicator is the colour it turns, but then that is hard to describe also haha

The_highwayman said:
EDIT: it's good to have milk in ur coffee/tea because caffeine inhibits the absorption of calcium, so u should have milk there to overcome the effect.

haha, so that you get like a neutral effect? strange..maybe we should eat a big, juicy steak everytime we have a cup of tea to overcome the iron absorption issue :p

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The_highwayman said:

How is that a good thing? Don't you want more calcium to be absorbed into your body?

With tea, the fats and bacteria in milk destroy some of the antioxidants, thats why black > white. (Black power!)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jumb said:
How is that a good thing? Don't you want more calcium to be absorbed into your body?

With tea, the fats and bacteria in milk destroy some of the antioxidants, thats why black > white. (Black power!)
caffeine inhibits absorption of calcium, so you would be minus calcium..if you put milk in, they might cancel each other out and nothing will happen to your calcium levels haha..i think that's what MATT meant anyway :p

i didn't know that about the fat/bacteria cancelling out thing :( but i'm too chicken to just drink it black haha..surely there'd still be plenty of antioxidants floating around in there right? haha..hmm, i don't reeeeeeeally drink tea for a health factor anyway (it's more a bonus that it is good for you), i like the taste/warmth

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
em_516 said:
caffeine inhibits absorption of calcium, so you would be minus calcium..if you put milk in, they might cancel each other out and nothing will happen to your calcium levels haha..i think that's what MATT meant anyway :p
Yah. that was the general jist.

i didn't know that about the fat/bacteria cancelling out thing :( but i'm too chicken to just drink it black haha..surely there'd still be plenty of antioxidants floating around in there right? haha..hmm, i don't reeeeeeeally drink tea for a health factor anyway (it's more a bonus that it is good for you), i like the taste/warmth
I just drink juice or water instead.
Less hassle.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
haha, but that is a completely different taste, and tea is hot..so doesn't take long to boil the kettle and dip a teabag

i don't drink much juice, but when i do, i always want more..not thirst-quenching to me..that said, i always want more tea too hehe

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
em_516 said:
haha, but that is a completely different taste, and tea is hot...
I'll give you something hot to drink.

em_516 said:
i don't drink much juice, but when i do, i always want more..not thirst-quenching to me..that said, i always want more tea too hehe
On the juice thing, the only things I really drink at uni are water, v's and oak (only in a carton, cause those plastic bottles make it taste gross).

I've also had a coffee once from gloria jeans, it was really nice.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jumb said:
I'll give you something hot to drink.
HAAA, charming :p

jumb said:
On the juice thing, the only things I really drink at uni are water, v's and oak (only in a carton, cause those plastic bottles make it taste gross).

I've also had a coffee once from gloria jeans, it was really nice.
i didn't even know oak milk came in bottles :s
i just drink tea and water..and alcohol :D

The_highwayman said:
oh..oh god!
you too? :p

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
em_516 said:
i didn't even know oak milk came in bottles :s
i just drink tea and water..and alcohol :D
Yeah, and it's totally gross. You buy them thinking its better cause it has a lid, even though you drink it all in one sitting anyway. And then you start drinking and you totally regret it. Something about that cardboard makes it taste infinitely better.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
strange..

i can't comment..but i CAN comment on the egg and bacon rolls from rafters..YUM

em_516

bludging..
HSC
saw the oak bottles today and i know what you mean..i think they taste weird coz they're longlife?..like, i know when my mum buys longlife milk, it tastes fucking nasty in comparison and she gets yelled at

em_516

bludging..
HSC
beverage my ass, this is cereal we're talking about here..it's WAY important

if that girl had bumped into me and tipped my cereal everywhere ooooooooooooh watch out :p

yeh i dunno, it's easier to have a go at my mum when i've already explained that longlife milk tastes like ass and then she goes and buys it again..she doesn't buy it anymore :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)