1st year subjects (1 Viewer)

jpr333

HSC
Well thats good news. And whats wrong with finance? I will probably end up majoring in it, looks better than 'management' :p . Business Studies (even tho i know doesnt fairly or accurately depict management to the slightest) put me off management.

RXG

Perhaps you might like to try psychology with management?

I really don't see why people would be interested in studying management though. Firstly, its a "hands on" subject where you learn more from experience rather than a textbook. Secondly, I doubt you'd jump from graduating to a management position.

From a student perspective, do subject you are interested in first, if you have trouble deciding this, email or call lecturers whose details you can find on the E&B site and talk to them about the course, even get a hold of the textbook, attend the first couple of lectures and if you don't like it, change units.

Doing things you like and getting good marks is better than doing things that are percieved to go well with each other. Its true.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
It's highly unlikely you'd go from graduate to CEO of a company, but it is possible to graduate and become a manager of a retail store and then work your way up.

People might be interested in studying management because
1. It's broad. You can have a major in management and still work in whatever area interests you in 3 years time whereas if you do something as specific as finance or accounting, you're pretty much stuck working with money for the rest of your life (or until you get new qualifications)
2. It's varied. A major in management can include subjects from Government, economic history, economics as well as ir/hrm. You can do a little bit from each, or do only the ones that interest you.
3. Management isn't all "hands on". There's a lot of other things to be considered, such as planning, thinking about the economy and the implications of the actions of local, national and world politics on the company, thinking about legislation and law, strategy, goal setting and planning of a company. Sure, you could learn these things in a hands on, trial and error kind of thing, but that would take a long time, probably time that your company cannot afford to waste.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
No

only first year compulsory management subjects are WORK 1002 and either WORK1001 OR one GOVT1000 level unit OR one ECON1000 level unit

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
i was thinking about commercial Law...be'cos we need it if we wanna major in accounting..esp...if u wanna be recognised by CPA and ICAA...ut yeah,....i have time to decide.

jpr333

HSC
So what you guys think, 3 or 4 subjects in the 1st semester? I'm currently down for 3 (bare minimum) but if it aint too hard i wouldn't mind getting another subject done.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
In commerce we have to do 3 subjects + 1 elective in each semester of 1st year...those 6 subjects(3 each) are compulsory.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
the 6 subjects r compulsory , but there's no hard n fast rule that u can only do one elctive in one semester, u can do 2 of the compulsory sub. , in semester 1 n the 2 electives n the remaining 4 sub, in semester 2. well this is wat i got told at enrolment!

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy
the 6 subjects r compulsory , but there's no hard n fast rule that u can only do one elctive in one semester, u can do 2 of the compulsory sub. , in semester 1 n the 2 electives n the remaining 4 sub, in semester 2. well this is wat i got told at enrolment!
yeh u can do this. I did arts units in 1st semester and started acct1a, macro and ecmt1010 in 2nd semeter!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)