1st yr med elective- what should i take? (1 Viewer)

aussiechica7

HSC
So I'm studying med this year and I have an elective I can choose. I'm interested in working in rural and remote regions within Australia, and then overseas in some sort of volunteer capacity or doing a Masters in Public Health and getting involved in health policy. Which of the following electives do you think will add the most to my career?

Anatomy (will make the med course easier in the long run but harder for this semester as its an intense class)

Professional Writing (i'm interested in it + could come in handy one day if working in developing world, writing updates for organisations)

Aboriginal Health (would like to work with Indigenous communities, and if I eventually go into health policy this could be important- but its just a first year subject).

World Religions (The countries I'm interested in working in are not predominately Christian. Although I've learnt a lot about different religions over the years, it might be nice to further that knowledge at university level._

hamzah

HSC
I would do professional writing since it is likely that you could end up writing for medical journals considering you would have traveled quite abit and seen quite a lot.

Me-Shell

HSC
oh boring aussie. who cares about your elective! Just do the goddam anatomy. :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If I were you, I would pass on the anatomy, because you're likely to be getting a pretty large amount of it in your degree anyway. Broaden your knowledge and pick one of the latter three. If you have any interests outside of medicine (or attached to it, as the case may be) then you should probably indulge them while you still can.

aussiechica7

HSC
lol kfunk i love that ur taking philosophy, that's awesome.

michelle ily haha thanks 4 advice.

hamzah- how do u know i've travelled a lot? do i know u from somewhere else? :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
do anatomy.. then ill be a gun in all aspects of clinical medicine.. and it will be about the only time u learn anatomy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)