2 Major Works or a Language? (1 Viewer)

Becca24

HSC
Hi all.
I'd just like your advice on a dilemma ive been having!
so im planning on taking society & culture AND 4U English. I'm aware that this means 2 major works. As an alternative subject, i would choose to study spanish instead of SAC.
What would you guys do? Is dealing with 2 major works easier than taking a language or is it too much work? Thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention that french continuers is also one of my subjects :/ sorrryyy!

Last edited:

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
Spanish Continuers or Spanish Beginners? Makes all the difference.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Major work and language subjects (presuming Continuers) both require a consistent effort, they can't be crammed per say as much as other subjects.

Becca24

HSC
spanish beginners. althouuughhh i forgot to mention that im also taking french continuers haha. sorry about the lack of information!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Ar okay, what other subjects are you doing?
If you want to do SAC do SAC, if you want to begin another language do Spanish beginners.

Becca24

HSC
apart from english and sac/spanish im taking:
modern history
legal studies
french cont.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you have to do Spanish Begineners through Distance or have an actual school class? This could heavily impact your decision

thisiswar

HSC
do Spanish...especially since it's beginneers the workload will be less and also languages scale well :) Then u can concentrate on ur other subjects which seem to be a lot of work....

Becca24

HSC
spanish would be taught in an actual school in class. and i wasnt aware that languages scale well, especially a beginners course! but thats good :) i was just concerned that it would be a little bit confusing seeing as im doing french but heeeyy if it means a bit less work haha

Mortelle

HSC
Uni Grad
In my prelim year I took beginner Spanish, beginner French and S&C, but I always found myself confused by the two different languages and kept making stupid mistakes because I'd start writing Spanish in my French exam.
The two majors might be a bit hard for you, though I found with S&C it was actually rather easy if you use the "chunk approach" and break it down into components (It's a lot easier to write 700 words for a chapter and feel accomplished when you've completed it, than it is to try and do the whole 5000 in one go.)
So it really depends on your study skills, two majors would be easily accomplished if you are dedicated and don't procrastinate. Whereas with beginner languages the work is guided by a teacher with only a little revision needed so you will have more free time.

Bobbo1

HSC
Don't think it should be a problem as long as you put in some continual work throughout the year...

Becca24

HSC
@mortelle, did you end up dropping any one of the languages?

HSC
Uni Grad
I do 2 major works (Drama & Art) and Japanese Continuers. Do both, even though it requires time, persistance and hard work. If you think you can't do that, then pick either option. ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)