2 Questions (1 Viewer)

Paj20

HSC
(b) A debating team consists of a first, second and third speaker. Tom, Liam and George
are the Year 12 debating team for their school.

(i) In how many different ways can they fill the three speaker positions?

(ii) What is the probability that George will be the first speaker for his team?

(iii) What is the probability that, in team order, Liam will not directly follow George?

are the answers (I) 6.... (II) 1/3 and (II) ... 1/2 ??

Also (a) Solve the equation:

(Square Root of)1 – 9x = 26

If you substitute in the Square root of 676 = 26... is that the answer and if so how do you get it?

P

pLuvia

i) 3*2*1 since the first speaker position can be filled with all three of the people, the second speaker can be filled with two of the people since one of them have already taken the first speaker position and so on

ii) Assume that George will be the first speaker which means there is only Liam and Tom to rearrange in the last two positions.

So the team is either

G,T,L or G,L,T (in that order)
Hence P(G is first speaker of team)=2/6=1/3

iii) This is just means L can't be after G so orders can be
G,T,L
T,L,G
L,G,T
L,T,G

So 4/6=2/3

a) sqrt{1-9x}=26
1-9x=262
9x=1-262
x=-675/9=-75

Paj20

HSC
pLuvia said:
i) 3*2*1 since the first speaker position can be filled with all three of the people, the second speaker can be filled with two of the people since one of them have already taken the first speaker position and so on

ii) Assume that George will be the first speaker which means there is only Liam and Tom to rearrange in the last two positions.

So the team is either

G,T,L or G,L,T (in that order)
Hence P(G is first speaker of team)=2/6=1/3

iii) This is just means L can't be after G so orders can be
G,T,L
T,L,G
L,G,T
L,T,G

So 4/6=2/3

a) sqrt{1-9x}=26
1-9x=262
9x=1-262
x=-675/9=-75

kk yep thankyou:uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)