2 Simple questions i dont know (1 Viewer)

Doogsy

These are pretty basic, but I'd just like to clarify the answer:
Why does increased molecular weight increase boiling point?
Why is NaCl the most common salt in ocean? (Shipwrecks option)
thanks

R

randhi

the first one, its because with increased weight there is an increase of the dispersion forces strength. Hence to break these bonds more energy is require thus the increase of boiling point.

Paroissien

HSC
First one I'd say: increased molecular weight, means increased chain length resulting in greater dispersion forces between molecules

EDIT: Yeah, what she said

LSP

HSC
The second one, NaCl is the most common salt in ocean because it is a salt!! sea water taste like salt and NaCl is the salt we have in our house.... haha...
it didnt help did it?

mathock

HSC
hmmm... second question im not too sure about... i dont think theres any real reson, except for maybe it just being a naturally more abundant compound.. which doesnt help lol sorry... i cant see any question coming up that requires that knowledge anyway

Doogsy

LSP said:
The second one, NaCl is the most common salt in ocean because it is a salt!! sea water taste like salt and NaCl is the salt we have in our house.... haha...
it didnt help did it?
no it didnt :p it doesnt explain why it is the most common salt, there are many salts in the ocean.

I guess it is just cause its the most abbundant. That question was in out trial, except our teacher put that in (he changed the option questions cause we hadnt finished the course) so it probably wont be in hsc.

mathock

HSC
yeah i wouldnt worry bout it dude, plenty of other more important stuff to focus on... dont know bout all of you, but im screwed tomorrow :(

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Sodium is one of the more common elements of group I and readily dissolves. As opposed to things like Aluminium which is in bauxite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)