20/20 essays (1 Viewer)

Genshin

HSC
Did/does anyone get 20/20 on your essays and if so how do you structure them and what do u write about?

I am pretty ok at them usually getting around 17/20ish but I would rlly like to push them up a little higher

do you have any advice?

thx! xx

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
yeah i'm at the 17-18 mark consistantly too, but my teacher is a real hard ass when it comes to marking them. generally the only way you can improve is with more statistics/graphs to illustrate your points, because at that level you pretty much have all the theory down.

lionking1191

HSC
lol in my trials one of my essay got 20 and the other got 15..

white ferret

HSC
use examples from real life... and esp examples which defy what the textbooks predicts will happen when economic conditions change

kusokc

HSC
refers to the contempory framework... that will do to get u to 20/20

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Analyse the question and draw out relationships and implications for everyone (individuals, governments, businesses). Use the current economic climate and how whatever you're talking about relates to now, for example inflation.

midst

HSC
I consistently get around the 18/20 mark, yet to get full marks in economics for any assessment.. although I did get 30/30 for the multiple choice section in my half yearly exam.. lol
My last essay was a bitch, we didn't have enough time, thus I didn't get to finish my essay. Fortunately the teacher that was marking them is really laid back, although that annoys me too, the only person to get full marks had poor essay writing skills.. inappropriate usage of some words.. meh
As for getting 20/20, it wouldn't be too hard if you can write freakishly fast, leaving you enough time to draw an appropriate number of diagrams.

leisl1990

HSC
i got an 20/20 for a globalisation essay in my trial.
well , i didnt actually think my teacher's harsh .

i think 1 essay need 50 minutes at least
in the introduction, write down the definition of the terms appeared in the question.
start a new paragraph for every new idea.
when u finish the theory of an idea, try to write a exemple that shows it holds for the real situation or write a example that showes the discrepancy between theory and the real situation.
draw diagram whenever needed.
i dont think u need a conclusion.

Last edited:

leisl1990

HSC
i actually made a few spelling mistakes and my teacher didnt take my mark off.
no sure this is gonna happen in the hsc

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
i don't think you get marked down for structure/spelling at all in the hsc for eco, it's a bit of a joke. why they allow headings in ESSAYS i have no idea :/

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I got 20/20 for my circular flow model of the economy essay. It was extremely detailed, and like Cal said, include diagrams, statistics etc. especially in eco.

Genshin

HSC
I normally find I breeze through the short answer section leaving me with at least an hr for each of my extended responses, i probably should include more recent eco stuff - coz i do use diagrams etc..

white ferret

HSC
Without Wings said:
If you refer to the rubric for the extended responses for economics it says 'present a sustained, logical and well structured answer to the question', it doesn't say it has to be an essay.
what can u write instead of an essay thats a sustained and structured response?

Science08

HSC
N/A
white ferret said:
what can u write instead of an essay thats a sustained and structured response?
um..i think you can also write in report style like with sub headings, similar to business studies essays apparently

rodders1

HSC
Our teacher is way harsh, he beats it into our class that it has to be logically structured, to the point (direct) and full of stats.

That aside, i got 19/20 and 18/20 in the trial, and i think that the thing that gets the marks is the contemporary, up to date information. Basically showing that we can apply our economics theory to explain what is happening in the world or Australia at the moment.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
rodders1 said:
Our teacher is way harsh, he beats it into our class that it has to be logically structured, to the point (direct) and full of stats.

That aside, i got 19/20 and 18/20 in the trial, and i think that the thing that gets the marks is the contemporary, up to date information. Basically showing that we can apply our economics theory to explain what is happening in the world or Australia at the moment.
Yeah.. In my trial I did an exchaneg rate essay, and had a mind blank so forgot heaps of the theory. But I related everything I said back to Australias exchange rate and its effect on Australia and I got 19/20 for it.

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC
If you're not really good with that flair stuff and know your content just do what my cousin did , headings about every single category of effect whatever the question has e.g. external effects, currency effects, inflation effects, confidence effects, economic growth effects and so on and just shove two diagrams and refer to them. If you do that i'd reckon you'd get 18+ that easily just for doing nothing except knowing your content.

I dont do this but my cousin did and she got better marks than me in internals.
(personally I think it's really annoying and shows that the economics textbook is your bible)

chetan.k

HSC
Hmm that's strange - I've always been taught its wrong to write in report format for essay. Bus. studies encourages report format, but in economics apparently essay format is most advisable.

Does anyone else do report formats and get away with it?

JOSH.

HSC
lionking1191 said:
lol in my trials one of my essay got 20 and the other got 15..
hahahaha
For my year 11 yearlies I got 20/20 on the first essay and 9/20 for the second essay.
The second essay was on the factors affecting the price elasticity of demand, and I did my essay on the factors affecting demand.
*palm to forehead x 1 000 000 000 000 000*
At least it was only a year 11 yearly. My teacher said I probably would have got 18-19 for it, apart from the fact that I wrote about the wrong factors.
My 9 marks came from defining/explaining the price elasticity of demand.
wooooo.

We just got our first assessment for Year 12 Economics 2009.

* Research an economy other than Australia
* Describe the impact that globalisation has had on the economy
* Critically evaluate the strategies this economy has implemented to promote economic growth and economic development.

It's an odd task structure...an open-book exam.
I've never had one before.
It's set out like a normal assignment, but we have to do all our research and then bring it to class where we spend 50 minutes writing the essay.
I was going to do China...but the U.S. would be really relevant at the moment. And if I only have 50 minutes I'd rather pick a smaller economy like Norway/Luxemburg/Sweden and go in depth.

Meh. It's 9 weeks away, hahahah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)