$20 reward if u can help me with this question (1 Viewer)

p00_p00

The richness of John Donnes poetry lies in its ability to lend itself to particular readings, reflecting different concerns and values.
Discuss in relation to your understanding of 2 or 3 of Donnes poems and their reception.

'A measure of great poetry is its ability to transcend time and place
Evaluate Donnes poetry in light of this statement.

The reward will be issued as a $20 debenture from p00_p00 enterprises, and is not legal tendar and can probaly buy u jack shit.

lizzies85

for the second one, you have to answer it interms of context, it's about how the poetry is able to be appreciated in a modern context as well as the original context. you like use a love poem like sunne rising and its relation to sex and stuff and how it can still be ysed to represent young love today, and you use one of the sonnets, possibly this is my playes last scene, and how so many ppl turn to god only when they are about to die, and that is sort of what the poem is about... i dunno whether that is actually any sort of answer to the question or not... but i hope it helped

spice girl

magic mirror
Answer in terms of reader-response and reception theory.

Every question I've seen on mod B can be answered like that.

But no need to examine the actual text in RR theory

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
The english syllabus rubriks thing goes on about context, ideas and values of texts and how language forms and features structures of text shape meaning and influence responses

I think the band 6 responses will be those that mention all of those.

THEREFORE: Even if the question doesn't appear to ask about context, or the value of texts, or language techniques, write about it anyway!

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
'A measure of great poetry is its ability to transcend time and place
Hey that was the trial question... i was sitting there for 5 minutes wondering about the 'ability to transcend time' part... (yes i wasted time!) ... didn't know what the question was on about, but managed to bs my out :) yay!! ...got a fairly good mark too :)

EXA BOY

nah man john dones kills powerplay, its so easy!!!! all ya gotta do is talk about 2 positive critics and 2 negative ones giving examples from 2-3 of his poems prefferably from his love and holy sonnets... really basic stuff man, every question is virtually the same they all say "how has john donnes poetry been read and interpreted and why" thats it!

kaseita

same same
very easy to predict the essay question on donne, and very easy to answer
don't like powerplay much either. too broad

user

HSC
I agree Donne is a lot easier than Powerplay.

But I think any of the critical studies things are easier than Powerplay, because
1. Critical studies is definite. It's either right or wrong. That guy either said that or he didn't and your opinion so long as it's justified is always right (or that's what they want you to think anyway)

2. YOu don't need supplementayr materials for Donne

3. It's a lot easier to talk about a poem than a topic you haven't yet grasped the concept of yet.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Isnt that similar to all Donne quesitons???

Its always gonna be like: how come donne's poetry gets different responses even though its the same poem. And all u have to do, is twist the question around so that it goes along the lines of hisotrical context, thus conflicting values

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Originally posted by user
I agree Donne is a lot easier than Powerplay.

But I think any of the critical studies things are easier than Powerplay, because
1. Critical studies is definite. It's either right or wrong. That guy either said that or he didn't and your opinion so long as it's justified is always right (or that's what they want you to think anyway)

2. YOu don't need supplementayr materials for Donne

3. It's a lot easier to talk about a poem than a topic you haven't yet grasped the concept of yet.
You do need sup materials dont you?
its the different readings over different times

user

HSC
Originally posted by Big Willy

You do need sup materials dont you?
its the different readings over different times

We were just doing it from readings, not specific critics.
eg
a historical reading
a religious reading
a feminist reading
a modern reading
psychonanalytical

of course, when everyone else in the state is doing it differently, it does have some rather scary implications. namely, "we're all gonna fail because you didn't teach us critics"

all we got was an A5 sheet with about 6 quotes from different people, when the English Faculty realised that "hm...maybe it says in last years notes from the examination centre" that the better responses had critics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)