2002 Band Percentiles & Course Means (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Shocker_85
What are percentiles?
percentiles refers to your rank in a subject as a percentage ... such that if you beat 90% of the candidates in a subject you are in the 90th percentile ...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Standard deviation is a measure of the 'spread' of the distribution. A larger value means that the marks were more spread out, and a smaller value means they were clumped around the mean.

Schools have access to the band percentiles and means for the courses which were studied at their school - in this particular year, those were the only courses studied at my ex-school, and so I don't have data for any others.
hehe how can u not know what SD is
u learn it year 10 maths statistics~

so its in 2unit course as well id think

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::

hehe how can u not know what SD is
u learn it year 10 maths statistics~

so its in 2unit course as well id think
you can find out from the board of studies website, or from uac by looking at its scaling report for respective years ...

sd is not in the two unit course for maths ...

Mossad

omg i don't understabd any of that....percentiles and standard deviation and all that....i looked at that table in the UAC site and i understood nothing from it.
Can someone please simplify this for me coz im clueless...
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Do you really want to know? :)

I think most people couldn't be bothered trying to follow all of the explanations, heh.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Post a list of questions and we'll answer them.

Please don't just ask us to explain everything... it happens too often and we tire of it very easily. Complete explanations are available in many past posts (there's a search function available for these forums too).

But if you have specific questions, they can be answered easily enough.

blah

I am blah
HSC
Some questions:

1. You know how our HSC marks are rounded up. Do they use the
original mark (e.g. 83.5) or the rounded up one (e.g. 84) when calculating our uais?

2. Does the gap between each students' school assessment mark determine how our HSC exam marks will be allocated as our moderated assessment mark?

3. When will the new version of laz seeker come out?

thnx :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by blah
Some questions:

1. You know how our HSC marks are rounded up. Do they use the
original mark (e.g. 83.5) or the rounded up one (e.g. 84) when calculating our uais?

2. Does the gap between each students' school assessment mark determine how our HSC exam marks will be allocated as our moderated assessment mark?

3. When will the new version of laz seeker come out?

thnx :D
1. They dont use ur reported HSC marks to calculate the UAI - they used scaled marks which noone except UAC knows

2. yes, the gap's are generally preserved

3. stay tuned to the BoS site

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by blah
1. You know how our HSC marks are rounded up. Do they use the original mark (e.g. 83.5) or the rounded up one (e.g. 84) when calculating our uais?

1. They dont use ur reported HSC marks to calculate the UAI - they used scaled marks which noone except UAC knows
Addendum: Your raw marks (which are the ones that are scaled) aren't rounded either. :) Kept at one decimal place.

HSC
N/A
Can you explain how the scaling thing with individual schools work?

Say one subject at a school has a big gap between the highest and lowest mark (90% - 50%) does that affect scaling??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Scaling is done on exam marks.
Moderating is done on assessment marks.

They are both completely independent of each other. Gaps in marks at a school will not affect the scaling of the exam marks at that school, but it will (logically) affect the moderating of the assessment marks at that school.

HSC
N/A
ok...so moderation affects your internal mark, which contributes to the final HSC mark

how do they calculate the internal mark (forget scaling, moderating...whatever, just the raw mark)
Do they work out each assessment mark according to the percentage its worth then add it all together?

Say I did four assessments for english:
weighting mark
20% 10/15
40% 25/30
20% 16/20
20% 7/10

what would be my internal assessment mark for english?
do I just work out the percentage and add them all together then divide by 2 (cause internal assessments make up 50% of final mark)
I worked out 38.3/50 (which is like a band 4!)

Is it something really complicated? Cause it seems impossible to get in band 6

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by boredofschool
Do they work out each assessment mark according to the percentage its worth then add it all together?
Yes.

weighting mark
20% 10/15
40% 25/30
20% 16/20
20% 7/10
Your weighted mark for each component would be:
20 * 10/15 = 13.33
40 * 25/30 = 33.33
20 * 16/20 = 16.00
20 * 7/10 = 14.00

Total = 76.67%

which is equivalent to your 38.3/50.

then divide by 2 (cause internal assessments make up 50% of final mark)
No - don't do this. There is no dividing by two. Your assessment mark for all 2u courses will be out of 100. It is true that, once everything is finalised, your moderated assessment mark will be averaged with your aligned exam mark to give your HSC mark, but you shouldn't simply halve your assessment marks before this time. Don't use that excuse to trivialise assessments. :)

Is it something really complicated? Cause it seems impossible to get in band 6
It would be very difficult, if it were all based on raw marks, as you are implying. But it's not. All the marks are moderated according to the performance bands, and hence the raw marks don't have any meaning at all (in terms of bands).

dibble

In a certain ideal situation..

Could a raw assessment mark of for example 3, be scaled up to no end - ie. if you were top of your school (the others received 2s and 1s) and received 100 in the HSC exam..?

I assume the answer is yes and sorry for taking it to the extreme - but I am just checking

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
*sigh* online lazseeker uai = 100
advanced lazseeker uai = 93

how disheartening :(
smile its okay..
i would be happy to get that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)