2004 raw marks (2 Viewers)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
Here you go -

FOI Application Form

Just fill in your personal details at the top, enclose a cheque or money order for $30, and you're all set. :)

More info about FOI and the Board is available here.
Laz while we're on that topic, how did you go about getting your exam answer sheets back from UNSW? Did you write them a letter quoting the FOI or something?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
But before I send this form off, is there any chance anything bad will happen? Like they go, hmmm, wait a minute, there's a massive clerical error here, you didn't actually top the state in maths, we're going to strip you of your TG Room medal etc. That's the main thing I'm worried about.

Laz?
Not a chance. :)

Even if a clerical recheck indicates that an error was made in your favour, your mark is allowed to stand.

grimreaper said:
Do you think we could ask for our raw marks for individual sections or maybe even questions of the paper?
You can certainly try - it won't harm the rest of your application, as each part of your request is considered separately and in turn. And if it succeeds, you'll have set a small precedent for others to follow. :)

Make sure you're quite explicit when you describe what it is you're after, as ambiguities could result in processing delays or false rejections.

Skywalker said:
Laz while we're on that topic, how did you go about getting your exam answer sheets back from UNSW? Did you write them a letter quoting the FOI or something?
UNSW willingly made them available. The Faculty of Law provides students with an opportunity to collect them (if they so wish), and Engineering ensures that times are set aside where students can peruse their marked scripts.

Just make an enquiry with your lecturers and they should be happy to help you out. Formal FOI applications aren't usually necessary with universities... they're not quite as uptight as the Board.

Karlz04

HSC
How long does it usually take roughly to recieve the raw marks after the FOI application form has been sent?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I really want mine.... I'm increadibly curious as to what my actual marks were. I really don't understand why the board can't just give us our raw marks when they give us our other ones...

Karlz04

HSC
I'll second that. It would save a lot of trouble for us and for them.

Idyll

HSC
I think for the most part it's better if raw marks aren't released on mass. They should be available if people wish to get them, but not released as part of the official release of results, since they are prone to misinterpretation.

After all, the aligning system has advantages, such as comparing student achievement across years, etc. (yes, i know there's drawbacks as well.)

mishka

HSC
N/A
i'm not worried about my actual exam marks, but i would love to know what i got for my PIP (Society and Culture). however, i'm not sure if they would be able to look that up because, unlike the exams, we actually get our PIPs back, untouched. :)

any ideas??

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm gonna request that it be itemised into individual questions as well, I'll tell you if it works in a month or so:p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
So I guess the raw mark/aligning data for 2004 won't be available to BoSers for another couple of months then... :(
Afraid so.

mishka said:
i'm not worried about my actual exam marks, but i would love to know what i got for my PIP (Society and Culture). however, i'm not sure if they would be able to look that up because, unlike the exams, we actually get our PIPs back, untouched. :)

any ideas??
If your PIPs were marked by the Board, they'll have your marks on record.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Idyll said:
I think for the most part it's better if raw marks aren't released on mass. They should be available if people wish to get them, but not released as part of the official release of results, since they are prone to misinterpretation.

After all, the aligning system has advantages, such as comparing student achievement across years, etc. (yes, i know there's drawbacks as well.)
Aren't you curious as to whether you got 83 or 84 out of 84 for Ext 1 Maths?

Btw. (off topic) what do you reckon you got for Ext 1 as a raw mark?

Lorie

HSC
do they show the marks you got for each section in the exam or just the total marks from each exam?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Lorie said:
do they show the marks you got for each section in the exam or just the total marks from each exam?
I dont think anyone who has received the results asked for individual sections so its worth a try asking for both marks for the whole exam and individual sections

Karlz04

HSC
acmilan said:
I dont think anyone who has received the results asked for individual sections so its worth a try asking for both marks for the whole exam and individual sections
I asked for individual sections of my music exam, so I'll et you know if they were given when I get them (or dont get them).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Techie said:
Is there a good possibility the Board will reject the application out of hand, requiring another $30 to be sent off?
This is unlikely.

The Board needs to have a reason to reject your application - they can't simply do so on a whim. If all you are requesting are your raw examination marks and initial moderated assessment marks, your application won't be refused. If you request something more, such as an additional 'per question' breakdown of marks, that part of your application may be refused (and reasons given), but it won't affect the other components of your application.

You can see an example of a response where the Board partially refused an application <a href="/other/foi_response.pdf">here</a> (559kb). Apologies for the poor quality. As far as I know, this decision hasn't been appealed.

Idyll said:
my aligned mark for ext 1 was 100, so i thought that meant you had to get full marks?? otherwise, i would say if it wasn't 84, it would have to be pretty close.
Normally, you can't be sure, because the marks reported by the Board are rounded to the nearest integer (so you may have actually only received 99.5). However, if you top the course, you can look up your own aligned mark (to one decimal place) in the preliminary scaling report. Doing so for Maths Extension 1 would reveal that the top aligned HSC mark was 50.0 and hence that your raw mark was 100%.

Plebeian

Lazarus said:
This is unlikely.

The Board needs to have a reason to reject your application - they can't simply do so on a whim. If all you are requesting are your raw examination marks and initial moderated assessment marks, your application won't be refused. If you request something more, such as an additional 'per question' breakdown of marks, that part of your application may be refused (and reasons given), but it won't affect the other components of your application.

You can see an example of a response where the Board partially refused an application <a href="/other/foi_response.pdf">here</a> (559kb). Apologies for the poor quality. As far as I know, this decision hasn't been appealed.
OK thanks, my application will go off tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)