2004 uais higher or lower (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
Due to the increasing competitive nature of students, (over 13 000 written exam papers had a mark of 90 or above in 2004! Highest ever!) it is usually harder to get a high UAI than in the past years since it is more difficult to get to the top.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
A l said:
Due to the increasing competitive nature of students, (over 13 000 written exam papers had a mark of 90 or above in 2004! Highest ever!) it is usually harder to get a high UAI than in the past years since it is more difficult to get to the top.

not it was actually 12 932 kids...........its in SMH.:p

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its understandable that there was a dramatic change in UAIs from the first year of the new hsc to the second year. However there was only a slight change between second and third year of hsc. Considering the band descriptors are quite similar this year compared to last year Id say we can expect fairly similar UAIs, maybe a little less, hopefully no more than a 1 point decrease

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But the uai takes into account the preformance of the rest of your form and adjusts your mark accordingly doesn't it? That may've just been assesment marks though...can someone confirm?

robbie19

HSC
Iron woman said:
But the uai takes into account the preformance of the rest of your form and adjusts your mark accordingly doesn't it? That may've just been assesment marks though...can someone confirm?

it depends on what subjects u do and how ppl achieve in those subjects compared to u. ur assessment mark is scaled majorly depending on how well u went in ur hsc exams. the UAI is very complicated and it does take into account how the rest of ur form and ppl in ur school went. this is just what i'm pretty sure of but dont rely on it. UAI comes out tmorow no need to stress about it, just read what the paper says and thats that!!

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
acmilan said:
Its understandable that there was a dramatic change in UAIs from the first year of the new hsc to the second year. However there was only a slight change between second and third year of hsc. Considering the band descriptors are quite similar this year compared to last year Id say we can expect fairly similar UAIs, maybe a little less, hopefully no more than a 1 point decrease
i think a point is even too much (for the upper end -96+). for my results in 2001 i would have got a 98.75, in 2002 a 97.85, in 2003 a 97.4. the change i think will be even smaller. im thinking i should keep afloat above 97

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
robbie19 said:
it depends on what subjects u do and how ppl achieve in those subjects compared to u. ur assessment mark is scaled majorly depending on how well u went in ur hsc exams. the UAI is very complicated and it does take into account how the rest of ur form and ppl in ur school went. this is just what i'm pretty sure of but dont rely on it. UAI comes out tmorow no need to stress about it, just read what the paper says and thats that!!
uai marks and hsc marks equally rely on exam performance and the performance of your school cohort (interms of the 50% assessment marks). the performance of your year determines how high your school marks are moderated.

uai takes into account your raw mark and is scaled to a totally different mark to the hsc mark. these are added together to form an aggregate of your best 10u and are than ranked accordingly. so if less people get b6 this year and you do, it is possible your uai contributors will be higher than if you got that mark the year before

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea i think lukebennett has it worked out..
I think what will happen this year tho, is normally there's a huge bunch of people getting marks of low-mid 70's... this year i think it'll be more heaps of people getting marks of high 70's...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, thanks guys.. I only asked because i've discovered that most of my small class have unfortunatly done....significantly worse than they thought. So, of course, selfish me wanted to know where this puts myself...becuase this would be a major flaw in SAM wouldn't it? Not accounting for the rest of the class?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No once you have your HSC marks that is all that matters. The HSC marks takes into account your class results (through the assesment mark).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
heh looks like 3 and 4u maths scaling is going to be swinging in my favour this year due to lower % band E4's, although i dunno if I have to account for the higher number of students doing both courses causing the scaled average to be pulled down...

vanilla_bean

HSC
N/A
hmmm.. i wonder, is advanced and ext. 1 english going to scale worse this year... more people in band 6, especially in ext. 1!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Woah, everyones getting lower. 0.35 difference for me between 2003 to 2004.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Thats quite a large difference for a 97+ UAI. It will be interesting to see how the 70-80 UAI preds go. Im guessing a large disparity between real 2004 UAI and SAM 2003.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)