2005 Board Of Studies Official Showcase (1 Viewer)

broken_jukebox

HSC
Hey all, I dont want to brag, but i've just been given a sign of 'ok' or rather 'yes' from the powers that be... saying my work will be in Young Writer's Showcasew 05. Yeh I did get 50/50, and no! I didnt get listed that claimed I came first in the state or second or even fifth for that matter. Aparantly only a small percentile get known to come 1st... etc... when really EE2 is subjective and really we all got 50/50 well some got 49/50. anyways its been a TOTAL TRUE COME TRUE FOR ME to be or will be hopefully they dont change their minds in YOUNG WRITERS SHOWCASE. i completely respect the books and have nhigh regard of the previous poets and now i'm one of them myself. So just giving you all hope that you can reach ur dreams as well by trying hard!!!!! being obsessed helped me lots. And like thingy said: "We can all be heroes too..." you know that guy who wrote that funny piece about school formals in 2005 in the Sydney Magazine or something... cant remember his name. not wil anderson (he's shit) Anyways... I was obssessed with Ext 2, and even once said to a pal; i dont care wot i get in hsc as long as im published in showcase im happy. obviously doing well in ext 2 (and ur other subs) will eventaully give u a good hsc/uai, and therefore the latter is uncalled for.

Congrats to all the other nerds who also got their works shortlisted/published in showcase... yuo all know who u r... we all deserved it as we stayed up late nights.

Last edited:
HSC
Re: 2006 BOS Official Showcase

that was a bit of a struggle to read - paragraphs are your friend :D hehe.

my story is in, i'm so happy/relieved to finally know since it feels like we've been waiting forever..

phatchance

HSC
Finally got my confirmation yesterday by email, should be published pretty soon now I guess. If anyone gets in this year, they won't contact you for seriously AGES after you get your first letter, you have to be really patient, I had assumed I hadn't gotten in and they just weren't bothering to contact me or something.

Peace

"Dear Mr Waters,

it's my pleasure to inform you that your performance poetry "The Global
Playground" has been selected for Young Writers Showcase 5, a collection
chosen from the highest scoring major works presented for the HSC English
Extension 2 course in 2005.

A complimentary copy of Young Writers Showcase 5 will be posted to you when
it is published.

If you would like to order more copies, you can do so through:
Customer Liaison
Office of the Board of Studies NSW
GPO Box 5300
Sydney 2001
Fax: 9262 6270
Tel: 9367 8178
Email: CustomerLiaison@boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

The cost is $30 per copy, plus packing and postage of $4.50 for one, $9 for
two or more.

Congratulations and thanks for agreeing to be part of this project.

Sincerely,
Paul Fitzgerald

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Fitzgerald
Editor
Office of the Board of Studies NSW
117 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Ph: (02) 9367 8050
Fax: (02) 9279 1482
fitzgerald@boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

This email (including any accompanying documents) may contain information that
is confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any
dissemination, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender by contacting the email address or the telephone or fax numbers
above"

Porcia

HSC
broken_jukebox said:
And like thingy said: "We can all be heroes too..." you know that guy who wrote that funny piece about school formals in 2005 in the Sydney Magazine or something... cant remember his name.
Jamie King or Jamie Foxx i think... anyway - CONGRATS! i hope i have ur luck

phatchance

HSC
Re: Showcase 2005

I didn't read any of the old showcases, I only changed to performance poetry two weeks before the due date and the teachers never signed off on my work. Guess it shows that Extension II really is subjective (e.g. a pretentious wank.)

P.S.

The fact that you guys can't spell both cheapens and magnifies this victory against the system for me.

Peace

HSC
N/A

Threads merged... for the love of literature (and perchance even myself), please try not to start two threads on the same topic :(

Administrativeness aside, congratulations broken_jukebox and phatchance!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

I know Showcase is a big deal and a hearty congratulations to those of you who are in - but please try and be civil, especially to each other.

Thanks.

HSC

phatchance said:
I didn't read any of the old showcases, I only changed to performance poetry two weeks before the due date and the teachers never signed off on my work. Guess it shows that Extension II really is subjective (e.g. a pretentious wank.)

P.S.

The fact that you guys can't spell both cheapens and magnifies this victory against the system for me.

Peace
hey, I can spell!

if the teachers didn't sign off your work how did it get marked?

phatchance

HSC
The process of signing off is simply your teachers legal assurance that the work is your work, without that signature the project is still marked externally and then 'certified' to see that it isn't plagurised. Given the general work ethic of most english teachers I'd assume that certification is watching the work and realising they couldn't be bothered researching to find out if it was 'appropriated' too heavily. Thus, when my work (which by the way was excellent, especially for a few nights work) got sent in, it was obvious that it wasn't plagurised (hell, it was my own voice, it's performance poetry and I provided research etc. -> read, provided bullshit paper which is all anyone really provides in a diary anyway) and thus it was marked normally without any reduction and or cancellation.

I did not need to do work for a long time, because the entire syllabus is a joke, I simply pandered to the left wing, feminist bullshit agenda spoon fed to the school system by left wing, feminist, bullshit female teachers and voilla, what do you know, I got into showcase.

I however have my own small audio studio and I am a signed musician so that side of it really wasn't very hard, the actual medium is something I've practiced in for 5 or so years.

J

jhakka

You try organising up to 150 students' worth of work and see what your "general work ethic" is like, mate.

Just to cover something important, though:
ujuphleg said:
I know Showcase is a big deal and a hearty congratulations to those of you who are in - but please try and be civil, especially to each other.

Thanks.
Failure to comply will result in the unfortunate closure of this thread.

Thanks guys. :)

kn0_name

HSC
My short story got in. i am cool. A friend from school also got in. We went to St Pats Strathfield. We is both cool for these reasons. The end.

HSC
kn0_name said:
My short story got in. i am cool. A friend from school also got in. We went to St Pats Strathfield. We is both cool for these reasons. The end.
that's really good, 2 people from 1 school :) did you have a good teacher? (not suggesting you aren't naturally smart..you know what i mean :p )

do you know how many short stories get in? i think there are more stories than the other genres since more people choose stories in the first place..

broken_jukebox

HSC
jusdorange said:
that's really good, 2 people from 1 school :) did you have a good teacher? (not suggesting you aren't naturally smart..you know what i mean :p )

do you know how many short stories get in? i think there are more stories than the other genres since more people choose stories in the first place..

Generally there are:

10-12 short stories
2-3 Poetry
2 Scripts
5 critical responses

all in all 22.

+

2 films
2 speeches
2 performance poetry / radio drama
2 websites

So that approximately makes 30. 30 out of 3000, thats 1% who go into showcase!

However i know from insider information that this years, there will be 4 poems. and no scripts!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
broken_jukebox said:
So that approximately makes 30. 30 out of 3000, thats 1% who go into showcase!

However i know from insider information that this years, there will be 4 poems. and no scripts!
dang! Why didn't they put mine in? Why?! Seems a little unfair to have no scripts.

phatchance

HSC
broken_jukebox said:
I mean how many people are published authors at age 18. And its in Showcase which mean money cant buy you in! Its purely based on talent, hard work and luck!

So Fcuk you for badmouthing Showcase I wish Paul Fitzgerald was here to see this, he would cancel ur entry.
Does anyone else find this hilariously ironic?

It's amusing that you just proved my point though, Extension II isn't about talent, it's about the marker/teacher believing you are brown nosing their ideals. I'm sorry but it's the truth, or at least in my personal experience it has been.

biping

HSC
hey,
i also found out i got in. i did poetry and my friend from school also got in - she did poetry as well. 7 kids from my school got 50/50. we went to alstonville high school. yey

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Hey

When Does the young writers showcase 2005 come out for purchase in 2006.

whiteboyoncampu

HSC
its been available for some time now. its $30 from bos website or most bookstores like dymocks.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
phatchance said:
I want a cut of the profits, I am feeding a pretentious, left-wing cash cow. Bastards.
Perhaps the only downside to being published in showcase. You probably could have fattened up your major work and sold it to a real printing press and actually made some real money. Try that now and you'll get sued for copyright infringement because the BOS now owns your major. Sucks but that's the reality. Congratulations for getting in though!

broken_jukebox

HSC
666_blessings said:
Perhaps the only downside to being published in showcase. You probably could have fattened up your major work and sold it to a real printing press and actually made some real money. Try that now and you'll get sued for copyright infringement because the BOS now owns your major. Sucks but that's the reality. Congratulations for getting in though!
Actually, now you have more of a chance to get published. I mean most of the works in there - are baby works, not the full potential of these growing magnificient writers. And probably most aren't that that that interesting in being a full time writer. That's a idyllic ocuppation that is only open to big headed, big egoed, nerds whom cant accept that their ext. 2 major work for 05 was shite and can't/wont accept that, hence they will pursue their dreams and good 4 them.

Also, I mean how much money would you really make if u released your major work - publishers/responders would write u off! Showcase at least gives u some backbone, support and credit.

Publishers would be looking for writers who've been published, as its a more lifely chance their shit will sell. And how much money does showcase make anyways, i think its more an expense; the printing costs, admin..., selection process, and divide the accrued retained profits by 20 or so writers. Still it would have been nice to meet the others writers, and get some money!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)