2005 CSSA Reduction Integration Formula (1 Viewer)

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
Hey guys, this question is probably easy but i can never figure out whether to do it by integration by parts or not, and if not i never know what to do to start it off. Lol could any of you explain to me how i work this out.

If I_n = intg(0-->1) [x(1-x)^n] dx show that I_n = n/(n+2).I_(n-1) ...? Help lease lol i got 43% in my trial ewwww.... :(

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Are you sure there's not an x<sup>2</sup> term in there somewhere? 'Cause I keep turning up answers in terms of 'n' via straight integration. Maybe I've fallen out of practise with the recurrence stuff already but trying the substitutions (u = 1 - x) and (x = sin<sup>2</sup>&theta; ) I got non-recurrence answers.

Edit: Just so you know what I mean. If you let u = 1 - x you get:

&int; u<sup>n</sup> - u<sup>n+1</sup> dx (from 0 to 1)

= 1/(n+1) - 1/(n+2) = 1/(n<sup>2</sup> + 3n + 2)

Last edited:

shafqat

HSC
N/A
Substitute n - 1 for n into that integration result and you can prove the reduction formula as well.

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
KFunk said:
Are you sure there's not an x<sup>2</sup> term in there somewhere? 'Cause I keep turning up answers in terms of 'n' via straight integration. Maybe I've fallen out of practise with the recurrence stuff already but trying the substitutions (u = 1 - x) and (x = sin<sup>2</sup>&theta; ) I got non-recurrence answers.

No there are no x<sup>2</sup> terms missing.. i have no idea

It is Question 2 e) i. on CSSA 2005 word for word :(

Last edited:

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
shafqat said:
Substitute n - 1 for n into that integration result and you can prove the reduction formula as well.

How does that prove that I<sub>n</sub>= n/(n+2).I<sub>n-1</sub>?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:

So In = 1/(n+1)(n+2)

Similarly work out In-1 = 1/n(n+1)

So In = n/(n+2) In-1

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
interesting question ... this is the first reduction question i've seen that actually uses an exact value of the general integral in terms of 'n' to go back and involve I(n-1) again.

albeit not difficult, maybe the question would've been slightly harder to do had it said:

Prove that I(n) = [1 - 2n*I(n-1)]/(n^2 + n - 2) for the same general integral...

this, btw, is also (another) correct reduction formula of I(n) for the same integral in question ... and 'prove' of course means to derive the formula through integration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)