2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

Abbeygale

HSC
a8o said:
Perhaps here's a topic in itself in terms of what is history?
You know, I do sometimes find myself wondering what the difference is between a historian and a journalist.

boringhousewife

HSC
Although I wouldn't mind doing Haig, but it's prolly too late.
We did our proposal. I got 18/25 :(
I usually excel at history but I think the work load is getting too much (along with modern and ancient)

devious_lisa

HSC
wrong_turn said:
how about we'll organise a bos work day at the state library in the holidays?

pm if anyone is interested.
yeh
sounds good.........but yeh... i'll be spending alotta time at the library this holidays...so behind in everything

devious_lisa

HSC
babee_blu_eyez said:
check this ...my teacher approved my idea n read my draft n sed it was fine
n then wen i got the marks bak...theyr were pretty gud but i lost on the idea
she had shown another teacher the idea who picked a fault in it
so the idea my teacher loved n approved she then marked down
so now i have to change my idea

im jst like, why didnt u tel me this b4 i lost marks!..sori frustration lol
dun worri, i noe exactly how u feel, the same thing happened to meeh....although i didnt loose dat much marks, but its juss so frustrating knowning you culd have prevented it

devious_lisa

HSC
so.......i'm doing the empress dowager, but because i only recently changed to this topic, i'm VERY behind in all my research and everything........i still havent got a concrete argument yets....i know there is debate on her personliaty, but i dunno how to approach it and wot syllubus dot point this would fit into

oh and we had hist ext half yearly today on wot is history
and the questions was something to do with the construction of history.

MaryJ_

HSC
It'll fit into a historical debate or controversy, and im sure there's heaps of stuff at the state library. It's gotta be the best one i've been to so far. Don't worry i don't think you are all that behind, i mean i've stuck to my topic from the beginning and i've barely touched it lol. These two weeks are gonna be dedicated to both major works. Just make sure u have your sources that you are certainly going to use. Then you get to do the fun part, tearing all the sources apart and smushing it all together again to form what you'll be saying in your essay.
If you ever feel desperate, just take a look at where i'm at, you'll feel so far ahead lol.

a8o

HSC
Abbeygale said:
You know, I do sometimes find myself wondering what the difference is between a historian and a journalist.
Definately, and my very modern topic requires the use of a lot of journalists and/or political theorists. THere are a couple of people in my class using films and the way they have shaped popular conceptions of historical events, periods and personalities. Others are interviewing local historians, local old-timers and young people for differing points of view on the past state of the local community and how does being brought up in a different context effect that.

In english you're meant to call them composers, but I feel a slightly wrong calling someone who is obviously a journalist a historian in my log book which is thankfully finished, but I haven't got the mark back yet. I'll just be a bit implicit when referencing sources in my essay, which I'm having a crack at the first draft of right now. Why the fuck not, I'm still in a work mood after half yearlies and having a good weekend off ;)!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
according to carr, there is no set historians. everyone is a historian. carr is not a historian, yet he is a patent of history. yet he worked in the process of a historian.

jodi_p

wrong_turn said:
how about we'll organise a bos work day at the state library in the holidays?

pm if anyone is interested.

i like the sound of that. it would be good to hear feedback from other schools.

my question is about Charles Bean, a ww1 jounalist and to what degree did he shape the australian digger stereotype and how accurate was this stereotype?

what u guys think, feedback is good

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
it depends if u are going to explicity focus on how the "digger" stereotype was shaped, or if u are going to write a bold thesis about how stereotypes are manipulated and moulded purely by media and then prove this point using Charles Bean.

History extn is really showing your understanding of how history operates, rather than an explicit case study or something

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
okay so with the salem withc trials, the background info is that there is fallacy in the evidence and the general belief in witchcraft at the time.

so what do i do? do i try and use historians to try and show that they were indeed trying to get rid of certain respected members of the community.

or may it have been to do with pride fromt eh authorities? how can i use historiograpghy in this case? any help would be great.

jodi_p

gordo said:
it depends if u are going to explicity focus on how the "digger" stereotype was shaped, or if u are going to write a bold thesis about how stereotypes are manipulated and moulded purely by media and then prove this point using Charles Bean.

History extn is really showing your understanding of how history operates, rather than an explicit case study or something

oh ok, thanks for you feedback. perhaps i didnt quite explain my topic correctly. chalres bean is often refered to as the creator of the digger stereotype. but there is contraversy over this, ie claims that he based the charateristics on that of the shearers of central australia that he previously studied etc. there is a particular study known as the 'the oral history' of ww1 soldiers claims this stereotype untrue.

does this seem better?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
have a think what is the purpose of basing his views on that, and then try and work out a more general pattern in history which happens all the time which this isntance relates to. you want yoru explroation of this issues to cater to the whole scope of history, not just to world war 1 soldiers

boycee

HSC
heya.. these all sound like really great ideas- i hope u guyz enjoy researching them!

I've chosen to look @ how dan brown's da vinci code has made the world aware again of the historical controversy surrounding the closure of the Canonical Gospels @ the council of nicaea, called by Emperor Constantine.

Hope u guys do really well.

~boycee!~

casualcomedy

HSC
I'm touching on a more contempory issue for my project. My project is about the political influences and issues that have affected students perception of history and construction of history, either through changes in government and ideologies that affect the curiculum or something more simple such as the understanding of political ideology from different students taking different courses. I'm yet to decide.

devious_lisa

HSC
so where is everyone in regards to your major work?
still researching, started to compose or composing already?

devious_lisa

HSC
MaryJ_ said:
It'll fit into a historical debate or controversy, and im sure there's heaps of stuff at the state library. It's gotta be the best one i've been to so far. Don't worry i don't think you are all that behind, i mean i've stuck to my topic from the beginning and i've barely touched it lol. These two weeks are gonna be dedicated to both major works. Just make sure u have your sources that you are certainly going to use. Then you get to do the fun part, tearing all the sources apart and smushing it all together again to form what you'll be saying in your essay.
If you ever feel desperate, just take a look at where i'm at, you'll feel so far ahead lol.
mary ish dat meant to be directed at meeh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)