2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

emo_chick

HSC
a8o said:
Good to know we're all having trouble with this. That's the major value of this thread :)
Yes! When the HSC is over..we will look back and laugh at ourselves going insane! :D

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
TRy not to stress so badly guys, the simple fact is if you just find an AREA of history your interested in and do some general reading your likely to find some debates. Failing that PM me or grab me on MSN and if you tell me your general area of interest ill do my best to think up (or ask my old extension history teacher whose a family friend) a debate/s you can focus on

Mainly stay calm i did most of my research in 2 days and i wrote my first draft the week befor eit was due. Dont stress its not as hard as it seems once u know what your reading/ researching and an just get into a groove.

I also did most of my research at fisher but uni libraies are more helpful when you have a focus, while state libraries help with a general idea

Be very wary of websites, even some of the more reputable one have some exceedingly dodgy translations and information on them. Id avise against unsing them and i can assure youonce your at uni theyll say the same things!

Meanwhile enjoy your holidays, youll be surprised how many idea occur when your not trying to force them. I had some really good ideas after i finshed my hsc which was annoying!

emo_chick

HSC
shelley said:
TRy not to stress so badly guys, the simple fact is if you just find an AREA of history your interested in and do some general reading your likely to find some debates. Failing that PM me or grab me on MSN and if you tell me your general area of interest ill do my best to think up (or ask my old extension history teacher whose a family friend) a debate/s you can focus on

Mainly stay calm i did most of my research in 2 days and i wrote my first draft the week befor eit was due. Dont stress its not as hard as it seems once u know what your reading/ researching and an just get into a groove.

I also did most of my research at fisher but uni libraies are more helpful when you have a focus, while state libraries help with a general idea

Be very wary of websites, even some of the more reputable one have some exceedingly dodgy translations and information on them. Id avise against unsing them and i can assure youonce your at uni theyll say the same things!

Meanwhile enjoy your holidays, youll be surprised how many idea occur when your not trying to force them. I had some really good ideas after i finshed my hsc which was annoying!
hey...im thinking of going back to hiroshima as my topic. right now its all i can really think of that i find interesting..i wont do the dot point on the modern history syllabus..although i wanted to soooo bad!
im still not so sure what i want to do for hiroshima...any help would be great if its ok. :)

a8o

HSC
emo_chick said:
Yes! When the HSC is over..we will look back and laugh at ourselves going insane! :D
Can't wait!

I'm not insane per se, but I'm reading a lot and finding the thing that's bothering me the most is the logbook/journal. I've never been good at these sorts of things and I'm findiing it espescially hard to decide what to put in and what not to put in. So, I'm here to see if anybody has any tips for me.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
a80: dont put in ur whinging, bitching about your other teachers. they're bound to find out

dont ask what happened to me =)

a8o

HSC
Word travels fast i know. I't just sort of "So i got these books out of the library and read them. " Should I be adding in certain money paragraphs - stuff I seriously intend to quote?

veridis

droog
HSC
i'm just putting in half page analysis of them. so like perspective, reliability, bias, usefulness. all that. mainly to show that i am actualy reading them and doing work not just bludging off

emo_chick

HSC
a8o said:
Can't wait!

I'm not insane per se, but I'm reading a lot and finding the thing that's bothering me the most is the logbook/journal. I've never been good at these sorts of things and I'm findiing it espescially hard to decide what to put in and what not to put in. So, I'm here to see if anybody has any tips for me.
Same here. I'm not good at recording crap cause I never know what to put in. But my teacher wrote this comment in my process log after checking it..
In terms of discussing a text/source's usefulness remember to include some detail-what does it discuss?..will you use it?-why/why not?

I'm not sure if that will help you though :)

a8o

HSC
veridis said:
i'm just putting in half page analysis of them. so like perspective, reliability, bias, usefulness. all that. mainly to show that i am actualy reading them and doing work not just bludging off
emo_chick said:
Same here. I'm not good at recording crap cause I never know what to put in. But my teacher wrote this comment in my process log after checking it..
In terms of discussing a text/source's usefulness remember to include some detail-what does it discuss?..will you use it?-why/why not?

I'm not sure if that will help you though :)
I quoted you both because you seem to be saying something similar which is helpful in itself because there's double confirmation I'm doing something sort of right finally. We don't start the course until next term, but at the end of last year we were called together, given and information booklet and left to our own devices over the holidays. I wouldn't have minded asked a few questions and being a little further along than I am now, but it should be fine.

You're talking about analysis of web-pages right? We were given a form to fill out for every site we visit - usefulness, reliability, you know. Or are you filling out a half page for every book you enter?

Plebeian

a8o said:
I't just sort of "So i got these books out of the library and read them. " Should I be adding in certain money paragraphs - stuff I seriously intend to quote?
When in doubt, check the syllabus :uhhuh:

It says:
"The Process Log
The process log should contain:
• description of procedures
• log of sequential development of the topic
• record of major decisions of the project
• review: cumulative self, peer and teacher evaluation of the project and record of
interviews."
(Syllabus, page 28).

There is not really a need to include slabs of text you have copied from books.
If you find it easier to keep all your research in your logbook, however, I doubt that your teacher will mark you down for it or anything. There is no harm in including summaries of what your different sources are saying, and how that contributes to the overall direction of the topic (eg. if you read a new book which has a unique viewpoint, thus bringing a new element to your historical debate, etc.) Also important, as veridis said, are assessments of the source's reliability and usefulness. If you got the books out of the library and read them - what was the outcome? Did you find them helpful? Do they seem historically accurate, supported by evidence and properly referenced? Do they agree or disagree with the other sources you have read? Is the author reputable, and what influences might he/she have that would affect his/her interpretation of the evidence in the book?

emo_chick

HSC
OK..I just got an email from my teacher sayin to just let go of Hiroshima and find another topic! Is that a good idea? I'm running out of time as my proposal is due in week 2 but I still need to get other things done. I honestly have no idea what else I can do. :(

My other choice would be Pop Culture..but it's such a broad topic I wouldn't know where to start and what to narrow it down to. I haven't got the time to go to Fisher LIbrary and research and that's the only library i have been going to to get my info.
If any you guys know anything I can focus on for Pop Culture or Hiroshima (preferably) it would be great...any advice would be useful.

Libbster

HSC
I'm doing Stalingrad but I don't know what to actually "do" ie what to actually focus on. :p plus my proposal is due on the first day back at school. Argh!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Popular culture...u look look at the changing ideas of popular culture vs elitist culture....but ud prob have issues with teh debate side

if u want something that encompasses popular culture you could loook at the french revolution, and its motivating factors, ive done a uni course (thus have a heap of info i can send your way) that looks at how teh different approaches to history coause controvesy in isolating what kind of revolution it was!

give us a buz if interested, off the top of my head its about all i can think of

if you still want hiroshima i was thinking you could look at context of historians and how that changes the portrayal of histpry...like get texts by authors from different countries and anylse how there recordings of the bombings differ and such but i havent had time to look at it in depth cos i was enrolling students all day today

but earleir i posted some topic ideas in this forum so if you get eally stuck u can base your propsal on one of those as you (with help!) try and find you topic!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Libbster said:
I'm doing Stalingrad but I don't know what to actually "do" ie what to actually focus on. :p plus my proposal is due on the first day back at school. Argh!
lol ok well simple u need a debate and you concemtrate on how and why historians hypothesis vary in that debate...(such glib advice sorry)

Korobushka

HSC
I'm doing FDR and how he knew about Pearl Harbour; how he 'wanted' it to happen. I'm also asking questions in regard to Churchill and Stalin, though after reading an essay today I have a feeling i'm going to be shifting to FDR and his traitorship to the American people in regard to being a communist. :)

Plebeian

Korobushka said:
I'm doing FDR and how he knew about Pearl Harbour; how he 'wanted' it to happen. I'm also asking questions in regard to Churchill and Stalin, though after reading an essay today I have a feeling i'm going to be shifting to FDR and his traitorship to the American people in regard to being a communist. :)
Roosevelt was not a communist :rolleyes: It was Washington's fault, not Hawaii, but there is a lot more evidence that it was simply an operational failure than a conspiracy. If you're going to do that topic, I'd strongly suggest you ensure you use reputable historiographical sources, rather than conspiracy theorists (eg. Mark Willey) who are generally less reliable.

emo_chick

HSC
shelley said:
Popular culture...u look look at the changing ideas of popular culture vs elitist culture....but ud prob have issues with teh debate side

if u want something that encompasses popular culture you could loook at the french revolution, and its motivating factors, ive done a uni course (thus have a heap of info i can send your way) that looks at how teh different approaches to history coause controvesy in isolating what kind of revolution it was!

give us a buz if interested, off the top of my head its about all i can think of

if you still want hiroshima i was thinking you could look at context of historians and how that changes the portrayal of histpry...like get texts by authors from different countries and anylse how there recordings of the bombings differ and such
the french revolution idea sounds pretty interesting and the hiroshima one too. I'll definitely keep the Hiroshima one in mind and as for the french revolution idea i think i might look into it and hopefully be able to start my proposal soon. do you think i can look at just some of the info you have for the french revolution one and see if i really am interested in it so i can do further reserach.
THNK YOU SO MUCH :)

waterfowl

HSC
emo_chick said:
the french revolution idea sounds pretty interesting and the hiroshima one too. I'll definitely keep the Hiroshima one in mind and as for the french revolution idea i think i might look into it and hopefully be able to start my proposal soon. do you think i can look at just some of the info you have for the french revolution one and see if i really am interested in it so i can do further reserach.
THNK YOU SO MUCH :)
There was a documentary on ABC last night about Marie Antoinette, and it was saying how she really wasn't as bad a person as history/people remember her. The main reason she is remembered as a bad person is because the French hated her - they all thought she was a dirty Austrian spy, they really hated her, it's kind of sad the poor girl.
Anyway just thought I'd add that in, in case you wanted to concentrate on a personality.
"Marie Antoinette - Eveil bitch, or just misunderstood?" :p

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
yep sure umm grab me on msn sometime and ill send over some abbreviated notes on what the topic is, where u should look and ill scan sme of teh shorter not commercially easily avalible stuff for u if u like....if got the dabate in short hand cos it was a core part of my course...haha hopefully u remeber who i am on msn...the uni girl who asked u about teh dot pionts of modern syllabus!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)