• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2005 Offers (1 Viewer)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
you dont get carded at the sam bar, unless you look like your 10 like me... and you should see their faces once they realise im 32....

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
I got into Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting

Uni seems so scary i don't have a clue what every1 else is on abt coz i still haven't handed in my acceptance slip. I'm going the following monday bcoz i also wanna go to the pre-enrolment session. Mayb afta the session i won't b so clueless abt mq!

ReaveR

HSC
That session left me totally clueless last year.
Same degree too =p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Just relax. It's rare to find students who have the whole enrolment/timetable/etc. process worked out.

Take a deep breath, and find an academic advisor (NB: they may or may not be helpful). Buy a copy of the Undergrad Handbook. And ask someone whose done it all before, eg. friends, other people here on BoS, etc.

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
flyin' said:
Just relax. It's rare to find students who have the whole enrolment/timetable/etc. process worked out.

Take a deep breath, and find an academic advisor (NB: they may or may not be helpful). Buy a copy of the Undergrad Handbook. And ask someone whose done it all before, eg. friends, other people here on BoS, etc.
Thanx for the advise. Its jsut that the whole transition from high school to uni is gonna b so different and kinda scary. Lucky my friends said they would go with me to hand in my acceptance slip even though they r not going to the same uni

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It is scary early on, especially if most (or all your friends) decide to go to another university.

Let me think.

1. Enrolment <--- Must do!!!
2. Work out what units (subjects) to do in your degree. <--- Should do. But even if you don't work it out completely, you can always change in your first week.
3. Work out a timetable based on your chosen unit. <--- This shouldn't be as bad as Step 2, but it isn't easy. <--- Recommend preenrolment, although they aren't always clear and helpful.

The above should be done pre-Orientation. (NB: O-Week and Orientation are two different things).

4. Go to Orientation Day. Helpful to hear non-relevant talks by students who know what they're doing. But more importantly to meet a few people and walk around the campus.

Then you're as set for uni.

5. You can prolly go to some pre-uni-Camp which happens. Dunno about it tho.

6. Keep in mind that half the people around you will be as lost as you. So you already have something in common ;):p

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah, I can explain the whole process/subjects if you want, someone else has been asking me already, I've got all the emails and papers out and things.

CrashOveride

HSC
Would you still recommend buying the undergrad book for 10$, even tho its all up on the MQ site?

ReaveR

HSC
The 2004 book had a red section in the middle with all the subjects the uni offers by divisions, set out in a tabular form with prereqs, assumed knowledge etc etc

Otherwise, I don't know much about the differences...my book sits on the shelf laughing at me because it doens't have a proper program of study for my degree grr

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
Would you still recommend buying the undergrad book for 10$, even tho its all up on the MQ site?
Yes.

Reason: It's good to an entire copy and to read as much as you want. Even if you have broadband. After you buy it once, then you can check online in later years. It's a worthwhile reference to start with.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
charmed_cuties said:
I got into Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting

Uni seems so scary i don't have a clue what every1 else is on abt coz i still haven't handed in my acceptance slip. I'm going the following monday bcoz i also wanna go to the pre-enrolment session. Mayb afta the session i won't b so clueless abt mq!
HIIIIIIIIIII..........lol........u r in the same degree as me.......ahahaha~~~~i wonder.....how many ppl has been accepted in this degree...LOL.... 200+???

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
ReaveR said:
The 2004 book had a red section in the middle with all the subjects the uni offers by divisions, set out in a tabular form with prereqs, assumed knowledge etc etc

Otherwise, I don't know much about the differences...my book sits on the shelf laughing at me because it doens't have a proper program of study for my degree grr
uh it does...

you gotta look at b. comm- accg and b. applied finance separately....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
flyin' said:
Yes.

Reason: It's good to an entire copy and to read as much as you want. Even if you have broadband. After you buy it once, then you can check online in later years. It's a worthwhile reference to start with.
i agree 100%. in later years you don't really need it as much because you know the suvjects you have to do and the prerequisites for them. fir first year it's very handy to have it in hard copy so you can mark pages and work out how the whole uni system works.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I have the 2002 handbook do i really need to bother getting the 2005 handbook?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Woulda changed a sh*load. But you can just use it off the web. And not much use if you know what subjects you're supposed to do.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
I have the 2002 handbook do i really need to bother getting the 2005 handbook?
Hmm, this is an interesting question. I'd personally recommend you buying next years one (if any) because it'll have unit info on the new actuarial syllabus, ie. about the 300-level. Having said that, you can always check the web. And depending on how well you know the system that might be enough.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
*rinney* said:
Yay! :) Got my first preference, a simple Bachelor of Arts at Macquarie! Prob gonna study Ancient History, Anthropology and Philosophy. Anyone on a similar track!? :rolleyes:
Good luck on that. Im doing Barts-Psych, but i have (and still plan to do) heaps of philosophy units. And i agree with goodtogo, maq is strong in Ancient history (and humanities in general). They even have their own excavation site in Egypt :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Woulda changed a sh*load. But you can just use it off the web. And not much use if you know what subjects you're supposed to do.
yeh i know wot subjects im doin so i spose i wont get it now

flyin' said:
Hmm, this is an interesting question. I'd personally recommend you buying next years one (if any) because it'll have unit info on the new actuarial syllabus, ie. about the 300-level. Having said that, you can always check the web. And depending on how well you know the system that might be enough.
ok ill buy next years one, due to syllabus change...can u tell me wots changing in the syllabus and also can u tell me if im doin the rite subjects (just in case things have changed)
1st YEAR

1st Semester:
acst151
econ110
stat171
comp115 (im not doin 125)

2nd Semester:
acst101
acst211
accg105
econ111
maths133

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hmm, since you know what you're doing, there's no need to buy the Handbook at all.

As long as you follow the Recommended Program from the www.acst.mq.edu.au website, you'll be more than fine.

What you've got there is right.

(Actually, it's better to just ignore my previous post to this one)

bubble_tea

:S i have a lecture for every day of the week (excl. weekends), and i have 4 lectures and a prac on monday which make my hours 9am - 6pm.. is it supposed to be like that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)