• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2006 Christmas Casuals (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
so...where should i look?
i want good money.
i've applied for david jones at bondi junction and poss. applying for angus & robertson or tree of life.
are any good money? (i'm doing DJ's for the discounts!!!)

scram_toots

HSC
Whatever you do DO NOT go to Myer. They've got new owners and they've abolished all penalty rates and everyone is getting treated poorly and given horrible shifts. There is currently at lot of dissatisfaction there :S

You could try cotton on...I just got a job there. Not really my style but money is money!

Most retail stores just pay the award rate for whatever your wage is!

vg_woz_here

HSC
get a job @ coles. thats where i was last christmas. pay is ok...better then fast food. Theyre doin a Christmas Casuals Recruitment drive...so apply online.

but dont apply for registers. its HELL during xmas times.

*Minka*

HSC
You don't get to pick where what part of the shop you work in at Coles Myer. I am on Registers and have asked to be moved back to the floor or cosmetics for AGES and they won't do it. I fucking hate Registers.

Skeeta

HSC
get a job at a post office. They need heaps of people over xmas because of all the xmas cards. Its just mail sorting.. pretty mundane but i think they pay well.

*Minka*

HSC
How do you apply for those jobs Skeeta? Just on the website?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I worked at Aust Post over 2 xmas'. Usually you apply via the website. I'm not sure if they have it on their website this year though. The first time I applied a few years ago I got a paper form from the offices.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Depends on your age. 18-21 (I think) get paid at award rates and 21+ get paid at higher rates. Since you're casual, you get the extra 15% loading and depending on the times you work you may get extra. For eg. I worked at one of the hubs where the only shift you can work is 3pm-8pm. Since part of the shift falls after 6pm, they have to pay you a loading of 15% on top of the casual loading, so overall I got around $22ph. If you work in the mail centres (Strathfield/Rockwood and I think Alexandria still) then you pretty much work a certain 5-6hr shift which is chosen from pretty much anytime of day, so like could be 9am-2pm or even 1am-6am. You won't get extra loading between 8am-6pm, you get like 15% extra between 6pm and 11pm or something, and an extra 30% from 11pm to 8am. Some people like working in the wee hours of the morning, so yeh.

It's usually 5 days a week for about 4 weeks and you shifts are 5-6 hours a day depending on where you work. So if you do the maths, it's pretty good money for only a few weeks worth of work.

As for applying, I'm not sure if they are still taking applications. Try calling the Aust Post head office (number in white pages) and ask them.

Hubs: This is where I worked. You pretty much just sort mail and put them into boxes. Kinda boring, but there's a number of hubs around Sydney (like Seven Hills, St Marys, Wetheril Pk, St Leonards, etc) so you can work closer to home.

Mail Centres: These are the huge mail centres that process mail, located at Rockwood (near Strathfield) and Alexandria (I think it's still there). You can do a number of tasks here, like sort mail, use the barcode
printing machines, use various other machines too. You wouldn't use many machines (if any) at the hubs.

There's also the new parcel and international mail centre at Clyde which seems to have more interesting jobs, except with parcels and international mail, so you have to quarantine mail and stuff. Similar pay rates to above.

Last edited:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
got an interview for myer friday week....dont think i'll get it cos clinical is in the way and i'm up the coast for it :(

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
jasee said:
Since you're casual, you get the extra 15% loading and depending on the times you work you may get extra.
Casual loading should be 20%. ...Unless there's some funny business going on, and AusPost is one of the few/only federal Australian govenrment department that's not offering contracts under the new workchoices' legislation (which dictates minimum 20% casual loading).

...so I'd imagine it's likely they'd do 20%

sladehk

le random
HSC
grrrr can you get decent jobs WITHOUT worke experience?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Skittled said:
Casual loading should be 20%. ...Unless there's some funny business going on, and AusPost is one of the few/only federal Australian govenrment department that's not offering contracts under the new workchoices' legislation (which dictates minimum 20% casual loading).

...so I'd imagine it's likely they'd do 20%
It probably is I'm assuming. I worked back in 2004 so obviously things have changed since then :)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
synthesized said:
yes if you lie on your resume.
...or alternatively get in young enough when and where it's excusable not to have extensive experience. Surely, however, something in your history will help: public speaking, debating, other school stuff, personal interests... Personally I'd be less worried about 'exaggerating' my personal interests than my work history.

So obviously you're out of the casual workforce, Jasee? Well done! :)

sarevok

HSC
sladehk said:
grrrr can you get decent jobs WITHOUT worke experience?
a lot of retail jobs don't need ppl with experience especialyl in the 'lower' stores. front up presentable, articulate, enthusiastic and friendly and you'll get a job. it also helps if you're female and/or physically attractive

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i went for an interview for coles myer yesterday.... it went fine ...it was short and sweet but i dont think that i will get it cos my availavility is a bit impaired by clinical which goes u till 10 days before xmas and i'm up the central coast for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)