2006 Hsc Ipt... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Whats everyone done so far? We have the crapest teacher.. weve done nothing! Seems ill be teaching myself...

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
hey dude im an 05er u shoulf consider this cdrom im sellin its great got over 1500mc ques to study definetly for the band 6 contestants pm if ur intersted

Srixon

HSC
Im an 05we as well and man IPT sucked came second and gained good marks all throughout the year but when yr 12 started it was alot more boring then what we did in yr 11 hopefully it aint the same 4 u

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
allthatglitters said:
Whats everyone done so far? We have the crapest teacher.. weve done nothing! Seems ill be teaching myself...
Yeah u get that
I had to
I was in the exact same position as u

All we did in ipt was play games, go on MSN and talk...
Just do some work yourself and you'll be fine

Kabeio

k.
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Hey! Another wise '05er.
So So So So So So Many IPT students complain during exam time-trials and HSC that they have done nothing in IPT all year, and have to spend the night before the exam actually learning the whole topic. Just be wise, stay ahead of the class, do the little exercises in the textbook and you should be fine. I Didn't think it was necessary to be doing so many past HSC papers before hand, but if you think it helps you, go ahead. But if you revise each lesson by doing the 10 or so questions at the end of the chapter you should be fine, as IPT isn't a hard subject, its not that hard to grasp or keep on top. You honestly cannot blame it on a "crap teacher" by year 12, you should be taking some responsibility and initiative towards your own study, When it came to exam time, many people in my class say"oh crap we are going to fail because we weren't taught anything in class", Yet some people ended up with 80% whilst some ended up with 23%.. Its up to you, not just the teacher. I'm not sure how your lessons function, but mine were just in a computer room/lab and most the time people just went on MSN, Surf the web, listen to music, emails etc.. Just open up a word document and type out your dot point summaries and print them out at the end of the lesson, by the time exams come around you just piece them together and *voila* you have all your notes done, and if you have done your questions then really, you just need to skim over them before exam time. Don't let what other students do, distract you from what you need to do. Its year 12, ITS OK TO BE A NERD..Your all playing to win in this game (HSC)! P.s Don't moan and groan about the supposed "crap scaling" of IPT, If you enjoy it, do well in it.. don't let it deter you from studying hard for this subject.

niceeee rant

Kabeio

k.
HSC
miss_gtr said:
lol np.
Nah, i actually enjoyed IPT.. i dont want any '06ers complaining about the shit scaling and how they don't work etc. Its a good subject, 05ers ruined its rep! *jab u all*
yeah you pretty much covered it, except for that annoying font

HSC
th said:
hey dude im an 05er u shoulf consider this cdrom im sellin its great got over 1500mc ques to study definetly for the band 6 contestants pm if ur intersted

mm sounds good.
thanx for the advice, i want to do well in it, especially coz so many people dont bother with it, i just wasnt sure where to start.
weve finished the first term of yr 12 and we still dont have a text book, nor have we got any work. Any one know the best text, like excel, macquarie etc??
I think ill take ur advice miss_gtr bout the dot points.
*allthatglitters

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
** waves to all the 2005ers**

allthatglitters - I suggest you start with Excel so you can get an overview of the topic then use McQuarie to extend yourself

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You will survive I promise,
My IPT class only had the teacher for 2 out of 3 periods a week, so basically we were short an 80 min lesson a week. (somehow we learnt DSS in 2 weeks) I haven't spoken to everyone yet but so far I know 3 of the 7 got 90's (96, 95, 94), I thought I was going to fail and I ended up with 96. I know I was the same freaking out and complaining...don't worry, use the energy you are wasting complaining and worrying and put it into study.

IPT is a pretty easy subject, especially if you have good general knowledge of computers

Good luck and if you need any help just ask

*Hi lxwana *waves*

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Through looking back on my exam mark (minus the question I stuffed) I can say that IPT turned out to be a pretty easy subject if you can support your understanding of Information Systems with general computer knowledge like melsc said.

Students who say IPT is a bludge are MOSTLY mistaken as it does require a fair amount of work to understand topics and their concepts especially the various diagrams I know my class went over them countless times throughout the year.

Making dot points on the different information systems according to the syllabus is what became stand for my study sessions and I believe that really helped in the exam. Also look back on previous exams their was a pattern that I found that help with this years exam, this year was mostly about analysing diagrams etc or information systems and not drawing DFD etc although their was a decision tree (my bad question).

I know this is an old topic but I believe it is important not to fall behind in IPT as it can be hard to catch up. Like melsc we also did DSS in the last 2 weeks before marks had to be sent away and as a whole year we did pretty well considering.

As meslc said I am willing to help with IPT work when I can so just ask...

rama_v

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Through looking back on my exam mark (minus the question I stuffed) I can say that IPT turned out to be a pretty easy subject if you can support your understanding of Information Systems with general computer knowledge like melsc said.

Students who say IPT is a bludge are MOSTLY mistaken as it does require a fair amount of work to understand topics and their concepts especially the various diagrams I know my class went over them countless times throughout the year.

Making dot points on the different information systems according to the syllabus is what became stand for my study sessions and I believe that really helped in the exam. Also look back on previous exams their was a pattern that I found that help with this years exam, this year was mostly about analysing diagrams etc or information systems and not drawing DFD etc although their was a decision tree (my bad question).
I'm also an 05'er and I spent less work for IPT than for any of my other subjects. I didn't even have a summary book with the dotpoints - I got bored and stopped keeping up to date with my summaries after the first topic. But I still managed to get 2nd in the state.

But as long as you understand the concepts, pay attention in class and have some computer knowledge you will do fine in IPT. Just make sure you do some work in class, complete homework, and revise a couple of days before exams. Our class was also lucky in that we finished with over a term to spare. Most classes will finish with a few weeks to spare, at least in this subject. Make best use of this time.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
rama_v ... grrr.... Well, I agree with pretty much everything he said except I only came 4th in state. Seriously though, if you can keep things in perspective... c'mon it's the HSC; do a little work, you'll be fine. I made sure I did EVERY exercise (whether it be copying off someone else's notes or whatever) but I always wrote complete answers which would definitely get me full marks, yes it takes longer, but it's for your own good... and try to listen in class- even if the teacher sounds like he's rambling on, try to absorb it... I did this with every subject, which is what helped me survive HSC without really studying per se.

I think that's what differentiates a good and an excellent IPT student- it's not the knowledge, because i'm sure both students would know everything there is to know for IPT, but rather, it's how they choose to express themselves, do they include examples, do they leave nothing to guesswork, etc...

Anyway, I still managed to pwn everyone in UT all year... Oh and one more thing, don't let marks get you down.. i was getting 80% in a few things during the year, but it turned out our teacher just marked damn-hard. Not sure if that's how rama found IPT, but yeh... that's about it.

Oh and one more thing- past paper books rock. I used the Successone book because it provided damn long complete answers which is what I needed to look at in order for me to remember that long answer are better. This is where quantity is important^^

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
seremify007 said:
rama_v ... grrr.... Well, I agree with pretty much everything he said except I only came 4th in state. Seriously though, if you can keep things in perspective... c'mon it's the HSC; do a little work, you'll be fine. I made sure I did EVERY exercise (whether it be copying off someone else's notes or whatever) but I always wrote complete answers which would definitely get me full marks, yes it takes longer, but it's for your own good... and try to listen in class- even if the teacher sounds like he's rambling on, try to absorb it... I did this with every subject, which is what helped me survive HSC without really studying per se.
I think that's what differentiates a good and an excellent IPT student- it's not the knowledge, because i'm sure both students would know everything there is to know for IPT, but rather, it's how they choose to express themselves, do they include examples, do they leave nothing to guesswork, etc...
Anyway, I still managed to pwn everyone in UT all year... Oh and one more thing, don't let marks get you down.. i was getting 80% in a few things during the year, but it turned out our teacher just marked damn-hard. Not sure if that's how rama found IPT, but yeh... that's about it.
Oh and one more thing- past paper books rock. I used the Successone book because it provided damn long complete answers which is what I needed to look at in order for me to remember that long answer are better. This is where quantity is important^^
Yeah, we all found time for msn in our class (initally we were playing Quake 3 b4 it was mysteriously deleted everytime someone loaded it). Our teacher marked pretty easy but in exams the marking criteria was quite strict and no one would get above 85%....And for some reason the marking in YEar 11 was tougher than for YEar 12. Either way, dont get discouraged as seremify007 said if you seem to never be able to exceed 90. Just make sure you rank high.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL Msn is blocked on our school computers. But hey, who needs Msn when we have Unreal Tournament and CS =]

Btw if it helps motivate you- get a computer where the teacher can see what you're doing if he/she looks hard enough- stops you from playing games 24/7. The people who mucked about all year and did absolutely nothing (and when I say nothing, I mean really really did nothing) still managed to get a Band Six, but they could definitely have rivalled my mark if they had tried a lil' bit harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)