2006 HSC Question (1 Viewer)

CalSandercock

HSC
Maybe try using two different values of the the bottom current in the parallel conductors formula and then solve the two equations simultaneously?
Or figure out how the change in weight equals force and then you just sub into the formula :)

CalSandercock

HSC
Actually I just looked at my success one and the answer is completely different - simultaneous wouldn't have worked because the two distances and two force values are different. here is the success one Answer.

The force between two current-carrying rods is given by Ampere's law ie:

Now = 2.6m, = 50A, and

Slope of graph = , where -mg = , dividing by we have

Using this data Now, the slope from the graph = . Therefore (which is 0.23m rounded up btw :p)

The current carrying rods are 22.5 mm apart :D

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
Thanks for the response,
so then what was wrong with the Biki solutions? I have the Success One answers myself but don't get it... Lol

hyhy

HSC
Thanks for the response,
so then what was wrong with the Biki solutions? I have the Success One answers myself but don't get it... Lol
I was just doing this question the other day so thought I'd clarify this question even though its an old thread. The biki solution still shows the incorrect answer (which confused me as well at first when I was going through the answers)

Biki solution subtracted the mass of the rod from the reading and assumed that this value is the force due to the magnetic field. However you must multiply mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8) to correctly convert to weight force, which in this case is equal to the magnetic force.

By not multiplying by 9.8, they end up being off by a factor of 10.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)