2006 Pharmacy Cutoffs..? Importance of UMAT/STAT? (1 Viewer)

jennkei

Lurking Rambler
HSC
2006 Pharmacy Cutoffs..? Importance of personal data forms?

Apologies if this question has already been asked, or if this's in the wrong forum, but is there any way besides contacting the Universities separately (I know of ten across Australia offering B.Pharm courses -- Monash, La Trobe, CSU, UniSyd, CUT, JCU, QUT, UQ, USA, UTas -- do correct me if I'm wrong.) of knowing the cutoffs for 2006? I already have the one for UniSyd, courtesy of another post here. :) But the CSU course was shown on one site to be 96.70, and on another to be 92.15, so I'm pretty confused.

I'm also not very sure about the conversion of GCE A Level grades to the local standard TER or ENTER or UAI. I found a link in one of the older posts to a British website, but couldn't find the table. (The direct link located lower down didn't work for me.) In any case, I'm a New Zealander who studied in Singapore (dual citizen) and wish to continue in Australia (PR). (Yes, it's confusing. And I'm not even in any of those places at the moment.) I took Bio, Chem, Math C and German at A Level, and attained A for all of them, as well as A2 for General Paper (English Language).

I'd also like to enquire about the importance of personal data forms, which're what I'm actually more worried about (since for UMAT and STAT, there's pretty much no choice but to take them, and pray you do well.). Since I'm applying for 2007 entry, (damn those slow A Level markers, I just got my results.) I have some time to remedy the blanks in my future personal data form. But does experience in a pharmaceutical environment really matter, or is it alright not to have any?

P.S. Sorry 'bout the UMAT/STAT thing, I edited it off but it doesn't show for the initial post title..

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Re: 2006 Pharmacy Cutoffs..? Importance of personal data forms?

Straight A's are equivalent to a pretty high UAI (i.e. >98). I posted a table somewhere a while back...

Raginsheep

HSC

No, pharm experience will not matter. Im not aware of needing any personal data for application into pharmacy.

Infact, the only two things you need to get into pharmacy are are good UAI (this year 2006, was 96.xx) and a STAT score of 149 or better. This is for Usyd anyway.

richz

well my friend last year got 96.05 and he also did shit in the stat around 150 and he still made it (usyd). But overall they take into account ur stat and ur uai so there is no cutoff, so if u do well in ur stat it may cover for ur poor uai, assuming u got 95+.

So i assume if u get 95+ and get a good stat u'll make usyd

Raginsheep

HSC

Thats incorrect I have to say. Unlike Med where having a good UMAT may compensate for a not so great UAI, in pharmacy, no compensation for doing well in one but not the other applies.

Assuming the UAI cutoff is 96.00 and STAT is 149 (STAT normally won't change); getting above that in both will get you a place in pharmacy. Getting 95.95 and 170 in STAT will not get you in or vice versa.

jeremiahk

HSC
Wow another expat. Which school you go? I spent some time at Tanglin.

All A's is pretty sweet. Not sure what you have to do, have you tried contacting the universities themselves, by email? Just ask them, they will help you I'm sure.

jennkei

Lurking Rambler
HSC
ARGH. I despise forums that automatically log you off after a certain time..and not save this incredibly long post you made. *grumbles*

In any case, thanks to everyone who replied! :D

Which year're you asking about, Jeremiahk? I went to RGS(S), then later to NJ, to take German. And I'm not really an expat, I actually consider myself more of a Singaporean -- have lived there for a longer time. :) I will email them later on, I'm just not certain they'll be straightforward about experience on the personal data thing.

The reason I'm asking about cutoffs is because I'm trying to decide which unis (in which preference) to apply for. Yes, it'll be a while before application even opens, but I've nothing else to do anyway. :( At the moment, I'm considering UAC -- USyd, CSU and VTAC -- Monash, La Trobe. (or is applying in two centres overkill? :D) But Monash needs the UMAT, for which I'll need to invest in a plane ticket to take, so I'm not too sure about that, now...

Any suggestions 'bout which unis, in which order, I should consider for Pharmacy?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Good on you, all A's! Since I don't think entering will be much of an issue for you, you can contact the unis and ask about what they offer, not just academic content, but the quality of their teaching reputation, the external links to professional organisations. Then you can pick! Otherwise, if you wanna just be safe and maximise your chances of an offer, cut-offs from highest to lowest is the general rule.

Applying to two tertiary centres is not overkill--people desperate to do med have combed all of Australia! So don't worry. You'll be good here--more relaxed academic environment than Singapore, that's for certain!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)